Generator vibration and noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too bad the tabs and frame didn't cover enough of the mount top. I went back and looked at what Bruce had and it looks like U channel used upside down and cut away towards the mounts, a very clean installation. If you could do this across the short direction between two mounts it would probably solve the problem of evenly loading the mounts very nicely

:socool:

Yeah, you figured the mounts might squat some due to the uneven load and because those tabs aren't perfectly horizontal. I went ahead and mounted them like that because the girls were coming later for a boat ride the
day we did this project, and I plan on sliding some sort of a channel underneath eventually. Wonder if 1/2 aluminum flat bar would provide enough strength or would it just flex? I don't have much room left before the top of the gen hits the floor.

The mounts made a huge difference. Thanks for that idea!

Have no idea if this will work with height restrictions. I see that you found some mounts but how are they used. If beneath the generator and between the platform and generator base then this might help.
Carefull measuring and some welding should produce a strong platform that would afford double isolation, these mount + the generator own mounts.

I am not a draftsman, obviously, and without measurement only a rough sketch can be done.

You may not even need the plywood indicated if the whole sub base is made of wide enough material to bolt the gen. to> I think I would included some thin plastic or rubber between the gen. metal pan and the sub frame to prevent rattles.

Hope it's of some use. If not then we all know where it belongs.

Generator

The sketch didn't come through.

Tried three times now and it will not load.
Sorry, I give up. At least for now.

Four tries, PDF and JPeg and no dice. Sorry.
Try email if you send me a pm.

It isn;t fancy , just a really rough idea.

Last edited:
The mounts are just outside the genset pan, and because the tabs are not perfectly horizontal and not directly under the pan they are causing the rubber mounts to tilt a bit.

IMG_1480300730.297759.jpg
This is a pic before I put the mounts under the tabs. I didn't take an after pic. Forgot.

IMG_1480301027.053953.jpg
The mounts.

I was thinking about putting a square (or rectangle) tube across the tabs under the pan to distribute the load better.

If you are going to get involved with motor mounts, consider doing it correctly by speaking to an engineer at any of the companies that manufacture vibration isolators. Mounts/isolators should be matched to both the load and the frequencies desired to be attenuated for best results.

The Soundown engineer matched the mounts to the weight of the generator. They work great, and decreased the vibration tremendously, but are just a little crooked they way I mounted them is all.

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure I have another 1" to spare before the gen hits the floor. Will measure.

Was wondering if some 1/2" flat bar would work -- aluminum or stainless? Might flex too much. Can I put aluminum next to stainless?

They have 1/2" SS square tubing on that site as well as 1".

Oh I see that now. Thanks again. I'm going to the boat tomorrow to measure.

Atop main stringers: 1" thick marine plywood with thick metal plate under rubber cushioned gen set feet. Quite regarding all but motor and electric generator internals. Muffler quite silent too. :thumb:

Attachments

• TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 139
That's a good setup!

Back
Top Bottom