Old 07-23-2016, 02:29 AM   #1

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Bluechip 3
Vessel Model: Clipper 45
Mission Beach Dive. Unsafe piloting.

The skipper of Mission Beach Dive on the afternoon of (23/7/2016) risked life limb and property damage by entering Brammo Bay, Dunk Island at excessive speed which resulted in the three cruiser boats anchored in the bay rolling violently from the resulting wake. One of the anchored boats was midway through recovering its tender and only good luck prevented any injury. Photos were taken and a report will be made to the authorities.

Professional skippers take care to be aware of the impact they have on others.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469258836.910110.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	54474

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Is that the boat you said was moving too fast and throwing a huge wake?

Sorry, but it appears to me that the boat is moving at hull speed. There's no big bow wave and I don't see the formation of a large wake off the stern.

The timing might have been bad for the cruiser that was recovering his tender, but that's the chances you take.

Unless there are other pics showing that boat throwing up a large wake, or unless your OZ laws are much different from ours, I'm not seeing a problem with that boat or his wake.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
By way of a PS to my post above, 106 people have looked at this thread and nobody jumped in and agreed with you, or, for that matter, nobody disagreed with you.

Might be they didn't see the problem either.

Anyone's thoughts on this?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Of course the pic shows moderate speed. I assumed it is a pic of the offending boat not depicting its excessive speed arrival as related by Hickers.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Bluechip 3
Vessel Model: Clipper 45
I was to busy hanging on when it sped past to take photos so this one is of his boat afterwards. Been boating for over 40 years and never seen someone as ignorant as this bloke nor would I complain about a wash from an ignorant skipper, that's part of being in a popular spot, this bloke put others in danger which is why his boat and behavior is being publicized.
Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickers View Post
I was to busy hanging on when it sped past to take photos so this one is of his boat afterwards. Been boating for over 40 years and never seen someone as ignorant as this bloke nor would I complain about a wash from an ignorant skipper, that's part of being in a popular spot, this bloke put others in danger which is why his boat and behavior is being publicized.

Good for you. I have little tolerance for wakes. Maybe it is the rag boater in me. So far on this trip I have had 6 boats throwing God awfully huge wakes, pass within a couple of boat lengths of me . This is waters that are about as open as they come with lots of room. As you said, professional skippers should know better since it took more than a fat checkbook to put them at the helm.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Why not contact the operator directly? Is public shaming the best way to handle this? I understand that you're upset, but why here?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Why not contact the operator directly? Is public shaming the best way to handle this? I understand that you're upset, but why here?
Yes, what does he expect us to do? Stand up and scream outrageous or blacklist the company? None of us were there to know the circumstances and I'm not going to jump on a bandwagon over one incident that I have no direct knowledge of or confirmation of from others. It might be just as he described and as out of line, but it's not a battle that I can take up on his behalf. I'm just not a fan of public shaming especially when it is generally based on just one side of the story.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
This is a better spot for public shaming.
At least you should get a response.
Have at it.
https://www.facebook.com/MissionBeachDive/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:26 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
First GFC`s dismissive posts, easily answered, implying Hickers was talking rubbish. Now this.
Why not here? Who says Hickers expects you to do anything?
Aussies, especially those who boat in FNQ have the right and interest to know. If you don`t like it, don`t read it don`t comment don`t post.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 AM   #11

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Hickers sorry to hear about this skipper being an idiot. This seems to be almost the norm with private boaties these days but you expect more from a professional master. I'd contact the operator as they may not know what the master is doing. Very envious of you being at Dunk Island though. That is just magic country around there,

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just like some suggest a securite for the same action, others say a securite call is a waste of time.

If posting it here made him feel good.....

Compared to some stuff posted here....I feel it is appropriate.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
This is a better spot for public shaming.
At least you should get a response.
Have at it.
https://www.facebook.com/MissionBeachDive/
Problem with a commercial Facebook page is anything that gets posted they control and can remove if they so wish. Therefore not much of a public shaming possible on Facebook.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Guru

It seems to me the OP is simply describing a boating experience. Why not post it here? He also said that he was filing a complaint. I did not get the impression that his intent was public shaming since the operators and likely customers wouldn't see it here anyway.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
It seems to me the OP is simply describing a boating experience. Why not post it here? He also said that he was filing a complaint. I did not get the impression that his intent was public shaming since the operators and likely customers wouldn't see it here anyway.
If just wanting to vent, then this is the place, although describing the experience can be done without naming names. Still all quite permissible. However, it is my opinion, if he wants to change anything or address the issue there is a better way, going to the top level of management of the company involved. That management is not likely to ever know of the post or problem by the post here.

Addition: If you want the complaint to reach the company's potential customers, I'd suggest YELP or Google Reviews or Trip Advisor. Depending on the company, they might also get you a response or apology.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
At least in the States, there are many areas where you can anchor with marine traffic coming and going nearby. The marine traffic is under no obligation to alter their speed for moored boats unless there is an obvious risk. It is up to those being moored to have their rigs prepared for normal conditions, including wakes.

If it was a legal no-wake zone, then operator should get pinged.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
At least in the States, there are many areas where you can anchor with marine traffic coming and going nearby. The marine traffic is under no obligation to alter their speed for moored boats unless there is an obvious risk. It is up to those being moored to have their rigs prepared for normal conditions, including wakes.
Here in WA, state law makes it unlawful to operate a boat in an unsafe manner. The state publications make it clear that having a wake that causes personal injury or damage to a vessel is operating it in an unsafe manner. The state is also clear that boaters are open to civil liability.

So how does this work? Say you are cruising down the middle of the narrows in Puget sound and do a close pass of a 12' skiff with a couple guys fishing. If your monstrous wake causes one of them to loose their balance and injure themselves you could be held liable. It is also against the law to have an unreasonable wake that damages the shoreline. Other states may have different rules, but no boater should make a close pass of another vessel while leaving a large wake.

In recognized shipping lanes it is a bit different since it is recognized that the commercial vessels have limited maneuverability and the traffic lanes are to be clear of non-commercial vessels.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The state laws are weak at best when they say you are always responsible...there's always that chance that a wake can cause damage....even at unreasonable distances.

Because bad wakes happen a lot here on the East Coast in the summertime, and there aren't a proportionate number of court cases or lawsuits that are reported , my guess good seamanship is required for both parties.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #19
Guru

I hear these arguments and while I support safe operations and avoiding putting others at risk, I also read constantly of laws that either don't exist or I've never seen. The WA Boating publication is mentioned so I'll quote it exactly:

The wake created by a boat may endanger inexperienced boaters, persons swimming, or wading anglers. For example, a boat's wake may rock, swamp, or capsize other boats. Passengers also may be thrown off balance or overboard, leading to serious injury.

No matter how large or small your wake, you may be held responsible for any damage or personal injury it causes. To avoid the expense of repairing another person's boat or paying their medical bills, limit your wake by slowing down.

It doesn't indicate any criminal aspect, just civil. Also, it uses the word "may" as in a court determining who was responsible or how that responsibility should be allocated.

In most circumstances the key word is "reasonable" and the opinion as to what is reasonable varies widely. I've observed many incidents my entire boating life in which two parties had very divergent opinions on the subject. If your wake leads to damage, you are not automatically guilty of anything. The reasonableness of where you were, how you were operating and the nature of the damaged property and it's location. I live just off the ICW and I am not only not in a no-wake zone, I am very close to a water skiing and personal watercraft area. If my dock gets damaged by their wake, then that's strictly my problem. Same if my boat docked at my dock. I have to be reasonable as well and the expectation is there will be wakes. If you're in a no wake zone, then that's far different. We even have two different levels of zones. Yellow is slow speed, minimum wake. Orange is Idle speed, no wake.

I don't know the circumstances leading to this thread so have no opinion as to the activity. I've been near Ferry routes and learned long ago to anticipate large wakes from most of them. On the other hand, I've been in clearly marked no wake zones and a wakeboard boat go by and rock me unbelievably. Actually one of the worst situations is those who see the no wake zone so pull back at the last minute and their wash from doing so is huge.

The reality is that we all have responsibility in trying to avoid damage or risk to lives. Those of us cruising and those of us anchored or docked. The determining factor when no specific law is in place is the determination of what is "reasonable." However, most truly responsible boaters go a step beyond what might be reasonably required out of respect for others and a desire to avoid problems.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
Guru

BandB, there are other references where fines are mentioned. I believe it is on the order of $375 per infraction.

The biggest problem of course is defining what reasonable is. A close pass with a large wake in large body of water is not reasonable. Beyond that it gets tricky. Common sense and common courtesy always are better than legislation.

Dave
SPOT page