Old 12-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
That will buff right out - boat hits ferry

Probably put her on autopilot while he went below for something and then the ferry pulled out! Clearly on auto as the boat went right back on the path.

Caught On Camera: Clueless Boater Crashes Into Washington State Ferry – gCaptain
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Well that would certainly wake you up if you were napping! Lucky it didn't cut them in half,
Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
That boat held up remarkably well given the apparent force of the collision.

The ferry had the right of way (and the skipper of Nap Tyme seems to clearly be at most fault), but the ferry crew is still responsible for avoiding collisions. It'll be interesting to see what steps (if any) they took to avoid Nap Tyme.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Wow. It turned our surprisingly well for Nap Tyme. He was probably taking his Nap.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Subscribed.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Retriever: Please explain how the Ferry had the right of way. To me it would appear Rule 15 would apply. Thanks
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Morro Bay, CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Vessel Model: Selene 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
Retriever: Please explain how the Ferry had the right of way. To me it would appear Rule 15 would apply. Thanks
Yep. I agree.

Rule 15 - Crossing Situation*[http://www]

(a) When two*power-driven vessels*are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Might is right.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #9

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
You're right...not sure why I momentarily thought the boat was coming from the other way.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Guru

Retriever: Perhaps since it appears to be a double ended ferry and at the end of the video it appears the ferry is backing down hard it may have seemed like it was going the other way.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #11
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That boat held up remarkably well given the apparent force of the collision.

The ferry had the right of way (and the skipper of Nap Tyme seems to clearly be at most fault), but the ferry crew is still responsible for avoiding collisions. It'll be interesting to see what steps (if any) they took to avoid Nap Tyme.
What am I missing here? The pleasure boat was the stand on vessel based on what I was seeing in the video. The pleasure boat was approaching on the ferrys starboord bow. Was the ferry in a narrow channel? Constrained by draft? Big boat little boat rules say the pleasure boat should have let the ferry go but that's another story.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Even though the pleasure craft was the stand on vessel, I question his decision to play chicken with the ferry. If that's what actually happened.

I actually think he must have been taking a bathroom break or something.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #13
Guru

It would appear as though the ferry boat did indeed have the right of way and the smaller boat was the give way vessel. Evidently there exists a special puget sound traffic control pattern that protects any ferry underway. Probably involves some homeland security measures also in that it is against the law to come within 50 feet even when the ferry is stopped.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Morro Bay, CA
Vessel Name: Wild Blue
Vessel Model: Selene 57
I often wonder when a WS Ferry is departing the terminal, which side of the ferry is starboard, and which is port. These are double-ended boats, so the end profiles are the same. I always assume the ferry is going forward, but then sometimes once away from the terminal, it spins, eventually going forward with the opposite end as bow. In the bright sunshine, its difficult to see whether green or red navigation light is illuminated.

The other thing about Washington State Ferries in my experience, is that they do not monitor Channel 16. I've called them many times on 16th with no results, but eventually raise them on 13. They also monitor the Vessel Traffic Service channel for their area.

Anybody have any different experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
What am I missing here? The pleasure boat was the stand on vessel based on what I was seeing in the video. The pleasure boat was approaching on the ferrys starboord bow. Was the ferry in a narrow channel? Constrained by draft? Big boat little boat rules say the pleasure boat should have let the ferry go but that's another story.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Even though the pleasure craft was the stand on vessel, I question his decision to play chicken with the ferry. If that's what actually happened.

I actually think he must have been taking a bathroom break or something.
Sure. Now you want to bring common sense into play

The ferry blowing 5 whistles says that he clearly felt that he was the stand on vessel. So maybe there is a local traffic pattern coming into play.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #16
Guru

There is a "security zone" established around all Washington State Ferries of 1500 yds. while moving and 50 yds while moored.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
We have some ferries that go across the ICW to Port Aransas. There are three of them running usually and they always have the right of way IMO, even if I was the stand on vessel. They are really moving pretty damn fast and they scare the hell out of me.

I never can remember the rules well enough to know if I'm stand on or give way, so I always just give way. Unless it's a sailboat, then I always cut in front of them. (Just kidding [emoji51]).
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
Sure. Now you want to bring common sense into play

The ferry blowing 5 whistles says that he clearly felt that he was the stand on vessel. So maybe there is a local traffic pattern coming into play.
5 soundings of the horn has nothing to do with whether he is or thinks he is the stand on vessel or not.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Looks like that ferry was almost to the Vashon dock, so more than halfway across. Trawler should have been aware of the ferry. I would say he is lucky to be alive. Can't tell from video when ferry started backing down. Lived on Vashon for 20 years, never saw anything like that, riding those boats.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
5 soundings of the horn has nothing to do with whether he is or thinks he is the stand on vessel or not.
I understand that. Five blasts Says that he doesn't understand the other vessels intentions. However if the ferry felt that he was the give way vessel he would have been figuring out a way to give way and not so concerned about giving five blasts. Wouldn't you say?

From the video it's hard to tell if the ferry made any attempt to give way until the collision was unavoidable...if at all. Regardless of who is at fault a collision is something to avoid.