Old 03-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Got chart table?

Do you all have a suitable chart table? Despite modern electronic charts, paper charts add an important perspective on navigation for me.

[/URL]

Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Nope. Have no need for one.

Paper charts are no longer required to be carried aboard since electronics are taking over the landscape. I suspect the chart tables will soon go the way of the dodo bird...just like the sextant box and sounding lines.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Yes, but it's primary use for us is definitely not charts. It does work very well as a place for notes, for cruising guides, occasionally for charts, for anything we might want to look at.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
The chart area is my "light" work area. It has good light and ergonomics. Paper charts?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
We don't need sounding line anymore??? Guess I did not get the memo.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Chart table would probably be a good place for the tablet.....with the charts on it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I value the two-foot square chart for a larger, more detailed view. (Who has four-foot-square electronic view screens?) It's also a good place for a luncheon plate for the helmsman.

Will admit not seeing paper charts in the bridges of cruise ships, but that's not me.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I value the two-foot square chart for a larger, more detailed view. (Who has four-foot-square electronic view screens?) It's also a good place for a luncheon plate for the helmsman.

Will admit not seeing paper charts in the bridges of cruise ships, but that's not me.
Mark, you certainly have a point, but I find being able to zoom from the large scale to the small scale with out having to change charts and relocate your point of focus, a much greater advantage.

A 15" plotter screen works well for me, but in this age of large screen monitors, the size of your screen is only limited by space for it on your boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Mark, you certainly have a point, but I find being able to zoom from the large scale to the small scale with out having to change charts and relocate your point of focus, a much greater advantage.

A 15" plotter screen works well for me, but in this age of large screen monitors, the size of your screen is only limited by space for it on your boat.

Ted
I see people with paper charts having to change charts and relocate their point of focus all the time. They run outside the field of one chart, have to put another in it's place, and have to deal with those awful areas on the outside edges of the two charts. That is a seamless transition on electronic charts. You simply move slightly to the side or up or down.

Over and over I hear size pointed to as the issue. Monitors too small. First, even a slightly smaller monitor uses brightness and sharpness to give a better image than the paper. Then for that which isn't sharp enough you have the ability to enlarge, to zoom in. Second, however, if that's the only issue, then turn your chart table into a large monitor. Well, a 32" monitor isn't even large today but easily fits on the smallest of chart tables and is larger than 2 x 2 and has better definition. We've been known to pull charts up on our salon television or even our home television. 60" monitors or up to 120" monitors. If you're confined to an 8" or even 12" monitor then that's not the fault of electronic charts.

I can understand the person who says "I like to take pencil and mark on the chart, to draw, and I'm not as comfortable doing that electronically." If one is more comfortable with pencil than mouse I understand it. Some people still hand write letters and nothing wrong with that. There is however a generation coming along that is far more adept and comfortable with computers than pencil. I can't recall the last time I used a pen or pencil for anything other than signing my name.

Paper vs. electronic is really a generational issue. As with any technology, some move into the new and some hold on to the old. However, eventually the old becomes less available and lacks the functionality of the new. Some are pulled to the new even while kicking and screaming. I've encountered this over the last three decades many times. A lady we couldn't get to use the computer until finally we told her that two months from then we would no longer print the report she worked from. There is nothing inherently wrong with continuing to do things the way you always have. You're probably better at it, as you have experience that way. Given time, however, that will become less practical and less available as an option. The time will come in some or out lifetimes when paper charts will be those things from the past you see taken on Pawn Stars and determined whether they're just old or old with value.

The chart table of the future? The same size as today's chart table. Just one difference, it's a computer monitor laying flat. You want to draw on it with pencil. Well, you'll be able to with your finger or a stylus. Make notes, no problem and they'll be preserved for you to access anytime. Want to move to the next chart, just slide your finger across the screen. In fact, now that you've stimulated my thought on that, I'll be asking my IT manager if she can make me one.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
FF
Guru

." In fact, now that you've stimulated my thought on that, I'll be asking my IT manager if she can make me one."

Be sure to get the version that requires no power, has no blue screen of death , and is not filled with white smoke!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
." In fact, now that you've stimulated my thought on that, I'll be asking my IT manager if she can make me one."

Be sure to get the version that requires no power, has no blue screen of death , and is not filled with white smoke!!
Seriously, it's just a matter of a flat screen monitor mounted in a table top frame of some sort. The only real issue I'd see is protecting the screen but still being able to use it as a touch screen.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Got chart table?

Offshore always with actual paper charts. Also plotting at least every hour position into it, taking required course out of it etc.. I regard our electronic chart / SIMRAD plotter as well as I Pad "for information only".
By the way our kids are learning the traditional way of navigation ...

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden
Old 03-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
We have a chart table by the helm, it's where the navigation laptop lives.

We carry paper charts and I will look at them sometimes for sure, but with three independent electronic navigation systems I'm going to the paper less and less.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We carry paper, but in home waters don't spend much time transferring updates from NTMs.

OTOH, we have a chartplotter and usually at least one and sometimes two tablets -- all with periodically-updated raster and vector charts, and with track function turned on -- working while underway...

And we have a laptop with nav software available should it become necessary...

So the paper backup is only a lower-level redundancy layer. And the "chart table" would be the dinette, I guess.

-Chris
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #15

City: Jarrells cove
I love my electronic charts and plotter and gps..but always have my paper charts as a back up..no power no charts..better to be prepared
mysticdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #16
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Got chart table?

I have two chart plotters.. Main one is Raymarine and my backup is Garmin. Two different manufacturers on purpose. If one has a bug problem I don't want to loose them both. That said, when we travel during the five months of summer up the east coast I have my ICW flip chart book on my lap. No so much for the charts but as a way to view my relative notes made on the side margins. Anytime I hear a caution or concern I note it on the chart to follow up on as we pass the respective area. Next to my flip chart book is Skipper Bob's Anchorage Guide. Don't leave the dock without it. Twice we have passed 45+ foot boats hard aground in the center of the ICW at Browns Inlet as we pass by in no less than 8' of water, following Skipper Bob's guidance. For $18.00 you are unwise to travel without it. Or you just didn't know it existed.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticdreamer View Post
I love my electronic charts and plotter and gps..but always have my paper charts as a back up..no power no charts..better to be prepared
If my engine dies, and my batteries die....what do I need charts for?

I am good...but no Shackleton or Bligh.....

Oh yeah...my solar panels, my primary genset, and my secondary genset...they would all have to die too.....

I like paper too for some things....but it is a dead subject in my mind. Just yesterday I was looking at the chart locker and wondering what I could store there if I tossed all that mold ridden paper....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #18
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
I have two chart plotters.. Main one is Raymarine and my backup is Garmin. Two different manufacturers on purpose. If one has a bug problem I don't want to loose them both. That said, when we travel during the five months of summer up the east coast I have my ICW flip chart book on my lap. No so much for the charts but as a way to view my relative notes made on the side margins. Anytime I hear a caution or concern I note it on the chart to follow up on as we pass the respective area. Next to my flip chart book is Skipper Bob's Anchorage Guide. Don't leave the dock without it. Twice we have passed 45+ foot boats hard aground in the center of the ICW at Browns Inlet as we pass by in no less than 8' of water, following Skipper Bob's guidance. For $18.00 you are unwise to travel without it. Or you just didn't know it existed.
I pass those same boats every year too...I just use Active Captain on my tablet and a mile away a woman's voice alerts me..."caution, shoaling ahead"...so I scan the hazard and 87 comments on the area...some as fresh as the day before....Can Skipper Bob do that?

Plus...I was never a fan of Skipper Bobs stuff anyway....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:30 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I pass those same boats every year too...I just use Active Captain on my tablet and a mile away a woman's voice alerts me..."caution, shoaling ahead"...so I scan the hazard and 87 comments on the area...some as fresh as the day before....Can Skipper Bob do that?

Plus...I was never a fan of Skipper Bobs stuff anyway....
There are a lot of tools available to us today and we each have to select which ones to use. As we don't anchor often (maybe average 2 to 3 nights a year), then Skipper Bob's has too much that isn't applicable to us to wade through. We're not their target audience. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not so much for us.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a chart table, but we use it for the laptop.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote