Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Marion, Massachusetts
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 215
Valona GA

Anyone ever go up into Valona off the ICW?
__________________
Advertisement

PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Member
 
sapelo son's Avatar
 
City: Shellman Bluff, GA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
Shrimp boat unloading and railway. Just got off the rail last week. This is home area for us..... What are you looking for? You can get the best shrimp you'll ever find or...……….not much else...…...
__________________

sapelo son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Marion, Massachusetts
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 215
Well that sounds great. Shrimp and quiet. Right now I’m at anchor and could use some shrimp.

So two questions. Is there a place to tie up? Is that 1 foot spot in the channel on the charts for real? I’ve noticed the shrimp boats, so I know I can get up there-is this a half tide or more situation?
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Member
 
sapelo son's Avatar
 
City: Shellman Bluff, GA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
You can get in easy, just stay in the middle of the channel. But, there won't be any place to tie up and there isn't anything there. You would have to raft up to a shrimp boat. If you are looking to get off the boat and grab some supplies a better place would be Shellman Bluff just a little north of you. Hunters Café is a little "seafood dive" on the water and they have a dollar store not far from there but, that's all. Shellman is a sleepy little fishing village. Our dock is nearby. You are welcome to come in for a stay if needed. We can help get you in if you'd like, just holler! There is also Darien south of you. Tons of history here and a very cool little town. You could go up the river and tie up down town at the city dock just upstream from the bridge. Plenty of stuff there to stock up on and a very nice waterfront restaurant called "Skippers Seafood". They have a hardware store with lots of marine hardware, liquor store, a wine and cheese shop and grocery store all close by at the top of the bluff. If we can help in anyway give me a call. Tim @ 912-294-4689
sapelo son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,545
Greetings,
Mr. ss. We took a side trip to Darien GA on one occasion and I recall the town dock being just downstream of the bridge. Might be it wasn't the town dock but it was free with free power. Quite a current on tide change but manageable.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Member
 
sapelo son's Avatar
 
City: Shellman Bluff, GA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
Two Docks.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ss. We took a side trip to Darien GA on one occasion and I recall the town dock being just downstream of the bridge. Might be it wasn't the town dock but it was free with free power. Quite a current on tide change but manageable.
RTF,
That is the "County" owned dock. "City" owned is just East of the bridge, closer to the hardware store and restaurant. Just checked, seems the county now charges a small fee but, either will get you there. And yes, a very strong current. This is part of the "rivermouth" for the Altamaha River. I have never docked at either, we usually do "day trips" to "Skippers Seafood" and tie up at their dock. Glad to have y'all stop in!
sapelo son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,545
Greetings,
Mr. ss. Ah. Thanks for the clarification. From what I vaguely remember about the bridge is there was not enough vertical clearance for us to pass. Our air draft is 30' with the mast up.
I confess we did not stray very far from the boat so we saw little of the surroundings (we were pretty tired and ready for bed).
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
City: Marietta
Country: US
Vessel Name: True Love
Vessel Model: Leopard 37 PC
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 155
Skippers Fishcamp in Darien is awesome. The town dock is indeed west of the road and right next to Skippers. BIG tide and current.
__________________
David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37PC- Cape Coral, FL
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: Melbourne, FL
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,270
Have you heard about the British Georgia vs Spanish Florida route of the Altamaha River? Back when the Georgia Colonies were worried about Spanish aggression, James Oglethorpe had the Georgia map redrawn where the mouth of the Altamaha River was farther south, and ended near the St. Johns River, instead of near Brunswick.

Using that map, he met with the Spaniards and told him that the Altamaha River was the border between Georgia and East Florida, claiming lots more land to the south. The Spaniards believed him, for some reason...

This gave him a bigger buffer between St. Augustine (The Spanish held fort) and St. Simons fort which was British held.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,402
stubones99, "This gave him a bigger buffer between St. Augustine (The Spanish held fort) and St. Simons fort which was British held."

The pirates mis-located all of Bermuda on their charts to discourage the British when they went to look for it. That made Bermuda a safe-haven for the pirates.
Seems these two examples are good example not to trust someone else's charts. LOL

Sorry about the subject drift.
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about?
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Marion, Massachusetts
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapelo son View Post
You can get in easy, just stay in the middle of the channel. But, there won't be any place to tie up and there isn't anything there. You would have to raft up to a shrimp boat. If you are looking to get off the boat and grab some supplies a better place would be Shellman Bluff just a little north of you. Hunters Café is a little "seafood dive" on the water and they have a dollar store not far from there but, that's all. Shellman is a sleepy little fishing village. Our dock is nearby. You are welcome to come in for a stay if needed. We can help get you in if you'd like, just holler! There is also Darien south of you. Tons of history here and a very cool little town. You could go up the river and tie up down town at the city dock just upstream from the bridge. Plenty of stuff there to stock up on and a very nice waterfront restaurant called "Skippers Seafood". They have a hardware store with lots of marine hardware, liquor store, a wine and cheese shop and grocery store all close by at the top of the bluff. If we can help in anyway give me a call. Tim @ 912-294-4689


Thanks for the offer Sapelo Son, you’re the best! I’m actually past there now,Arrington at my winter spot in Jacksonville. I had to rush to make sure we arrived for Thanksgiving. I have been by the cut off to Valona three times now and each time I wanted to take a look, but each time I was on a schedule. Next spring I’ll try to get up there. My idea of a great town is “nothing there”
John
PMF1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #12
Member
 
sapelo son's Avatar
 
City: Shellman Bluff, GA
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF1984 View Post
Thanks for the offer Sapelo Son, you’re the best! I’m actually past there now,Arrington at my winter spot in Jacksonville. I had to rush to make sure we arrived for Thanksgiving. I have been by the cut off to Valona three times now and each time I wanted to take a look, but each time I was on a schedule. Next spring I’ll try to get up there. My idea of a great town is “nothing there”
John

Glad you made it! Sounds like you'd luv Shellman Bluff. Holler if you get back this way! Looks like we will head south the day after Christmas. Gonna try for New Years on Green Turtle..... another little sleepy fishing village..... with not much there...… exactly like we like it.....
Safe Travels,
Tim
"Caoz"
__________________

sapelo son is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012