Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,385
Shower - $1.00 for 5 minutes

I was researching on Active Captain for next year's cruise. Just off the Hudson River (New York State) is a marina that lists showers at $1.00 for 5 minutes. This is the first time I've seen a marina charge separately for showers. Is this unusual? Do other marinas (in the USA) do this?
__________________
Advertisement

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,186
I'd stink....
__________________

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,246
Never saw that ever.
__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,010
A few places... like pay toilets.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,385
I might accept it if this was on a remote island where water was scarce but this is in a populated city in the good ole USA. It's even a city marina!


Kingston City Marina, Kingston, NY. Other nearby marinas don't seem to charge separately for use of the showers although a few don't mention even having showers at all.


The thought of them charging for showers when most other marinas don't just turns me off to that marina.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,246
As a kid there were many pay toilets. That's how I learned the limbo.
__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK;
This is the first time I've seen a marina charge separately for showers.
Probably soon to be the new normal but, hey, a buck a week ain't bad.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,452
I still do not see why anybody that has a boat with a shower and a head, would ever even think of using public facilities.

Even our smallest cruiser, smaller than most any boat here on TF had a working head and a shower. Yes the shower was a pull out from the sink, but it was FAR better than going to the harbor showers.

Why marinas even provide shower services is beyond me. Public restrooms I understand, but not shower facilities.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I was researching on Active Captain for next year's cruise. Just off the Hudson River (New York State) is a marina that lists showers at $1.00 for 5 minutes. This is the first time I've seen a marina charge separately for showers. Is this unusual? Do other marinas (in the USA) do this?
Universally true in the PNW. The marina where we are in Ganges BC gives 3 minutes for one "loonie".

I'm perfectly happy with my shipboard shower; my wife and daughter prefer a more...ahem...spacious experience.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Guru
 
AlaskaProf's Avatar
 
City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Country: US of A
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Why marinas even provide shower services is beyond me. Public restrooms I understand, but not shower facilities.
When I was cruising in a 23 foot sailboat, it was a welcome amenity.

In one small BC town I'm familiar with there was a waterfront b&b that offered a sailors' special: a shower, scone and tea for $5.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
wwestman's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 333
Very common in the islands. You pay to play in the nice ones.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #12
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,010
Travel far enough and nothing is new or shocking.

Like boat expenses, marina costs, outside labor, rules and regs, etc...etc...

You just have to expect the unexpected...that is the bottom line of a thing called experience or wisdom.

Plan ahead to the max, not the expected...and you wont be disappointed.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
Guru
 
Steve's Avatar
 
City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,873
First time I have heard of that, I guess it won't be the last.
__________________
Steve W.
http://mvgumbo.blogspot.com/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: AICW
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 20,010
In crowded population areas, not abnormal.

Pay toilets on the boatdwalk in NJ at the shore when I was a kid 55 years ago were normal.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Roamer Blue's Avatar
 
City: Toronto ON
Country: Canada
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 128
Hmmm... truck stop showers all cost, or get thrown in as a perk for fueling.

Last I remember, $6 for as long as you wanted?

Local problem with the homeless wandering in and using the facility?

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,452
Wifey B: I really don't see a problem, thinking it might help control who uses and keep them cleaner. We don't use public showers, but if we did, guess we'd average about $4. A lot of times $3 would do it but sometimes would take $5 or $6 or until the hot water ran out.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
Guru
 
boomerang's Avatar
 
City: Kilmarnock VA
Country: united states
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 556
Every year since the mid 80's 'til about '08 I would travel south from the Chesapeake to Delray Beach & we would frequently use the marina showers. It's just easier to use the marina facilities and not have to clean the showers onboard. Some showers were better than others and some were kind of rough but we never came down with any illness from using the marina heads ,as far as I know. After burning 900 gallons of fuel a day I don't think $1 for 5 minutes of convenience is too awfully outrageous.
__________________
-Shawn-
boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #18
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I might accept it if this was on a remote island where water was scarce but this is in a populated city in the good ole USA. It's even a city marina!


Kingston City Marina, Kingston, NY. Other nearby marinas don't seem to charge separately for use of the showers although a few don't mention even having showers at all.


The thought of them charging for showers when most other marinas don't just turns me off to that marina.

Perhaps stay at Roundout Yacht basin (RYB) about 300 yards away across the inlet and use the pool ,showers, breakfast bar, pump out and get fuel as well. You can either dinghy over to the town dock or walk across the 'small' bridge to get to town (just about a mile). We have stayed at RYB often and wintered there a number of years as well - they have a larger travel lift and boat ramp on site.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #19
Guru
 
Egregious's Avatar
 
City: Sunset Beach, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I still do not see why anybody that has a boat with a shower and a head, would ever even think of using public facilities.

Even our smallest cruiser, smaller than most any boat here on TF had a working head and a shower. Yes the shower was a pull out from the sink, but it was FAR better than going to the harbor showers.

Why marinas even provide shower services is beyond me. Public restrooms I understand, but not shower facilities.
Haha when you're 6'6" and your shower is built for a small Taiwanese child, you might consider a marina shower a luxury. I shower more with the anchor wash down hose than I do in our actual shower.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #20
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 17,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Perhaps stay at Roundout Yacht basin (RYB) about 300 yards away across the inlet and use the pool ,showers, breakfast bar, pump out and get fuel as well. You can either dinghy over to the town dock or walk across the 'small' bridge to get to town (just about a mile). We have stayed at RYB often and wintered there a number of years as well - they have a larger travel lift and boat ramp on site.
Wifey B: We docked at Rondout (it's not round but only for one night, when we went through.
__________________

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×