Now I have gone and done it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwpsco

Vessel Name
Dragonfly
Vessel Make
Troller Pleasure
Hello, I'm a long time lurker and have finally jumped in with both feet. I purchased Dragonfly, a 1989 54' Tuna Troller conversion for a cruiser in Portland OR. When I say jumped in with both feet, I mean I sold my house in Colorado and bought this boat. The Marina she was moored at did not allow live a boards so I have moved her to Anchor on the Columbia river until I can get some stuff sorted. I.E. Electrical system is based on a DD271 3 phase generator and running it as much as I currently have to is driving me batty. Dragonfly is in decent shape and passed coast guard inspection. Well Mostly. Still got work to be done and the old adage of "The only thing that works on a old boat is it's owner" seems to be true ;)

https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/used-boats-for-sale/PS5798/pleasure-trawler-yacht.asp

Welcome to the forum. Oh man...you have interesting times ahead - very interesting. But good luck with it all. Just remember, it is meant to be fun..! And there is plenty of assistance available on here. :D :flowers:

Welcome to the forum. Oh man...you have interesting times ahead - very interesting. But good luck with it all. Just remember, it is meant to be fun..! And there is plenty of assistance available on here. :D :flowers:
Gotta hand it to you. What a boat! Having a heavy steel hull under you when you start your adventures will feel good.

What are your plans for reducing or eliminating generator run time? I've spent years on a boat with 2-71 generator sets. I share your interest in reducing generator run time.

Where are you anchoring? Don't run afoul of Oregon's laws regarding liveaboards https://www.oregon.gov/dsl/WW/Documents/live-aboard_boating_20170117 (2).pdf. I'm not aware of similar laws in Washington but it is getting tougher to liveaboard in Washington. Also don't run afoul of Washington's tax laws.

Man, that's a big jump and welcome aboard!

Yeah, you got lotsa work to do and lotsa space to do it in.

Kinda cool. I wish I could stand up in the engine room...

Welcome aboard. Keep us informed about your progress, and we love photos.

Congratulations on your boat. I like it! Steel doesn't scare me at all. Thet 2-71 screaming does...I'd definity be thinking about alternative power sources and maybe another ,quieter generator. Worth noting & I'm not trying to rain on your parade but there's a big difference between a Coast Guard inspected boat and a Coast Guard safety inspection. Just saying. Anyway, enjoy your new home!

Last edited:
Congratulations and Welcome Aboard!!

I hope you are an experienced boater and handyman.

pete

Welcome!!
First boat?
BIG step.
Need an instructor for 3 or 4 days at least
Learn to back it straight.
I dont see a bow thruster. Consider one, hyd. Get recommendation on size and then go up at least one size. When you need it, you dont want a minimum size.

Welcome to Trawler Forum and the PNW!

So what's next moorage-wise?

I'm down river near St Helens when I'm at the dirt home. Presently up north on my boat, back home in a couple days. Lemme know if you need help with something.

Gotta hand it to you. What a boat! Having a heavy steel hull under you when you start your adventures will feel good.

What are your plans for reducing or eliminating generator run time? I've spent years on a boat with 2-71 generator sets. I share your interest in reducing generator run time.

Where are you anchoring? Don't run afoul of Oregon's laws regarding liveaboards https://www.oregon.gov/dsl/WW/Documents/live-aboard_boating_20170117 (2).pdf. I'm not aware of similar laws in Washington but it is getting tougher to liveaboard in Washington. Also don't run afoul of Washington's tax laws.

The batteries are shot right now, so they will be replaced with at least 3 200ah gel batteries, I am ordering a Victron Quattro since there is no inverters aboard and the chargers are vintage.

I am anchored off Frenchman's Bar right now near Vancouver and on the Washington side. Not sure about Washington Tax laws, in what way?

Not my first boat at all, but the biggest so far LOL My last was a 27' Searay so lots of things a different

Welcome!!
First boat?
BIG step.
Need an instructor for 3 or 4 days at least
Learn to back it straight.
I dont see a bow thruster. Consider one, hyd. Get recommendation on size and then go up at least one size. When you need it, you dont want a minimum size.

Congratulations on your boat purchase and welcome to the forum.

I am very experienced handyman, not much I haven't fixed or built. As for boating, my biggest boat before Dragonfly was a 27' Searay Lake boat. So this is new to me. I was in the Navy but not much transfers to this situation lol

Congratulations and Welcome Aboard!!

I hope you are an experienced boater and handyman.

pete

Welcome!

Great adventures await you!

Cool boat, can’t wait to learn more about her from your stories!

I am anchored off Frenchman's Bar right now near Vancouver and on the Washington side. Not sure about Washington Tax laws, in what way?

Basic idea is non-residents have 45 days after sale to leave WA or be subject to fees for use in WA. With your CO home sold not sure what your residency status is in the eyes of the WA tax/registration authorities.

https://dor.wa.gov/education/industry-guides/vessel-brokers-and-dealers/nonresident-sales-and-use

I keep my boat in WA for use in WA and Canadian waters, tag fees aren't too bad for an old boat. Insurance is more $$. Good luck with all that, there is plenty of good input on those topics here in TF.

The batteries are shot right now, so they will be replaced with at least 3 200ah gel batteries, I am ordering a Victron Quattro since there is no inverters aboard and the chargers are vintage.

From Department of Revenue Washington State

Columbia River moorage

Washington residents who moor their vessels on the Oregon side of the Columbia River are subject to sales or use tax. Use of the vessels is presumed to be on the Columbia River. Because the state line is down the middle of the river, the vessel will cross into Washington.

Purchase and use of vessels by nonresidents

Generally, vessels purchased or used in Washington are subject to sales tax or use tax and must be registered. However, there are some exemptions available to nonresidents of Washington that are discussed in detail below.
My read on that is if you maintain residency outside of Washington state you should be good.

But there's this part
Domestic nonresidents

Domestic nonresidents are exempt from vessel registration requirements for the first 60 days of use within 12 continuous months. RCW 88.02.570(5).
Domestic nonresident individuals can extend their registration exempt stay if, before the 61st day of use here, they purchase a nonresident vessel (cruise) permit from the Department of Licensing (DOL).
To further extend the registration exempt period, a domestic nonresident individual must purchase a nonresident vessel permit from DOL before the first nonresident vessel permit expires. Exempt stays may not exceed 6 months during any continuous 12-month period.
Nonresident individuals are also exempt from registering their vessels (if 30 feet or longer) for a one-year period if they purchase a vessel use permit. The use permit must be purchased at the time of purchase of the vessel or within 14 days of first entering the state with the vessel. RCW 88.02.570(13) and RCW 88.02.620.
So be careful how much time you spend on the Wa side.

What do you plan on running off batteries? I see in the specs your gen set is 208 Volt 3 phase. That implies a number of AC systems that on a smaller boat would be DC. Will a 600 AH bank be enough? Simi 60 had a big ex-work boat he's converted to a very successful cruising liveaboard. Maybe he'll pop in and help with that.

Regarding the handling characteristics of a deep heavy boat I think with some practice you're going to learn to like it. IMO they exhibit a far more predictable behavior than the typical lighter recreational boat. Just keep the total mass in mind. Even a low speed impact can do significant damage and they can rip cleats out of docks if you try to stop them with the lines.

What do you plan on running off batteries? I see in the specs your gen set is 208 Volt 3 phase. That implies a number of AC systems that on a smaller boat would be DC. Will a 600 AH bank be enough? Simi 60 had a big ex-work boat he's converted to a very successful cruising liveaboard. Maybe he'll pop in and help with that.

Yep, more battery good - even more better again
And if you are cruising full time go Lifepo4 from day one
These days they can work out cheaper than AGM and I assume gel.

Smashing the amps back in you will have to address

We have 840ah @ 24v of lifepo4
A Victron multiplus 5000 INV /120amp charger (soon to add another 50 amps)
2.5kw of solar
And a 7 kVA Genset

In summer at our latt's the solar does it all and some
In winter we need to run the Genset for a couple of hours every 2nd or 3rd day to keep batts in the 40% to 70% range.

Have a look through this thread before making your decision
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/lifepo4-cost-comparison-real-life-example-62066.html

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I've seen her anchored and wondered what the story was. Get to know her then head up north! BTW St. Helens Marina has some of the lowest diesel prices around.
Pete

That is quite a boat. We used to moor next to it.

Congrats! You have yourself a proper expedition boat!

Awsome boat! The adventure begins.

I also would consider LiFePO4 Batteries, with the Victron Multiplus inverter. You might do an inventory of what runs off AC power, and what the voltage (and in some cases phase) is.

A true gel cell needs different charging profile than a flooded lead acid battery. If you use over 14.4 volts (Max); over voltage will damage the battery.. I kept charging when I used the gel at 14.1 volts. A gel cell is different than an AGM battery and the gel cell is less tolerant of over voltage.

You might consider a "night/ backup generator." Such as a Northern Lights 8 KW. But this depends on what is 110/220 single phase 60 hz on the boat vs what is 208/3 phase. It may be possible to get a 208 V 3 phase Northern Lights or similar smaller generator. Also depending on what appliances you have, you may just use single phase power.

I like to run a large alternator off the generator to charge the batteries. What is the DC voltage on the boat. Many of these larger boats will have other than 12 volts. (Some have 24 or 32 volts.)

Looking forward to your tales.

Last edited:
Well congratulations you have certainly jumped in with both feet to say the least. I was looking at that boat a month or so ago on-line and wondered how it would fare as a trawler, I guess we will find out. Good luck and please do keep the group appraised of your progress.

Very cool! A lot of living space for your new waterfront home.

Keep us posted on your new adventures and on lessons learned, for us rookies. Good luck!

Yep, more battery good - even more better again
And if you are cruising full time go Lifepo4 from day one
These days they can work out cheaper than AGM and I assume gel.

Smashing the amps back in you will have to address

We have 840ah @ 24v of lifepo4
A Victron multiplus 5000 INV /120amp charger (soon to add another 50 amps)
2.5kw of solar
And a 7 kVA Genset

In summer at our latt's the solar does it all and some
In winter we need to run the Genset for a couple of hours every 2nd or 3rd day to keep batts in the 40% to 70% range.

Have a look through this thread before making your decision
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/lifepo4-cost-comparison-real-life-example-62066.html

Victron multiplus 5000 why did you go with this as opposed to the Quattro?

Agreed on as much AH as I can get on board. Might try and squeeze two banks of 600AH. Solar is in the works, I can get about 2800 watt above the flying bridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom