Propane Gen...for an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RVs use permanently installed generators powered by gas, diesel or propane. All are 3,600 rpm units (except maybe really big ones on big diesel pusher RVs), are air cooled and are noisy. A Honda 2000 in Eco mode makes 2/3 as much noise.

Diesel gensets are only used on diesel driven MHs. Similarly for gasoline generators. LP generators are used on some smaller Mercedes Sprinter diesel based RVs as they are several thousand dollars cheaper and these RVs are price sensitive.

Diesel driven boats use diesel generators and gasoline driven boats use gasoline generators. I have never seen a propane generator on a boat. You can't install an air cooled RV type generator in the engine room of a boat and I doubt that any propane fueled ones are made for engine room installation.

So there is very little crossover from boat and RV generators. The only common element is the Honda type portable generators which are used on both, but sitting outside.

David

that is not true, my Onan generator runs at 1800 RPM, only th Big Box store type run at 3600 RPM. My 34' Diesel is using Propane as the manufacturer found it cheaper than diesel

I have been shopping for a home standby generator and have noticed something I don't think gets the attention it deservers. People buy big generators to handle maximum conceivable loads and spend most of the time running with low load. Then they run of of fuel because of the higher fuel burn of the larger generator. Add the weight and size sensitivity of RVs and why would you want a larger generator?

MD, I'm also getting 4x4 on my Sprinter, which will be built out by Sportsmobile. On various Class B and Sprinter forums, there has been grumbling about engaging/disengaging 4x4 and other difficulties using it. How has your experience been with Sprinter 4x4?

You need to be at full stop, flat surface (not a hill or slope) and put in neutral, foot on brake and hit the button...no issues.

The manual clear explains it and those with issues are on slopes or not fully depressing the break, zero movement is required on transmission or tension on transmission to switch....

The diesel tanks on the sprinters are SMALL...you have refill at 1/4 tank, if you run lower and are on hills you risk air getting into the system as it shallow long and narrow tank (hence the lights and warning you get at 1/4 tank.

A bit off-topic, but FYI - my 2016 sprinter has a 24 gallon tank, and in 170,000 miles, I don't think I've ever stopped for fuel when the tank was even close to being 1/4 full. My light comes on at 1/4, but I run it LOW. Like 1/10 mm from E. Never had air issues, and drive gravel roads, mountains, etc.

A bit off-topic, but FYI - my 2016 sprinter has a 24 gallon tank, and in 170,000 miles, I don't think I've ever stopped for fuel when the tank was even close to being 1/4 full. My light comes on at 1/4, but I run it LOW. Like 1/10 mm from E. Never had air issues, and drive gravel roads, mountains, etc.

Great to hear, I have not had the issue personal but many on other forums have drilled that into me!!!

RV’s are selling faster than boats these days due to C19. One model (Sprinter chassis) I was looking at has an 18 mo wait for new orders, and they appear to be selling at close to sticker.

Is anyone storing theirs outdoors when not using it? Our association has a dirt lot in full sun/no coverage which is very reasonably priced (as opposed to paying rent to store it indoors). I figured if I take care of the exterior similar to a boat, frequent washes and wax details every 6 to 8 months the paint and trim should be able to handle the full sun and weather in San Diego?

RV’s are selling faster than boats these days due to C19. One model I was looking at has an 18 mo wait for new orders, and they appear to be selling at close to sticker.

Is anyone storing theirs outdoors when not using it? Our association has a dirt lot in full sun/no coverage which is very reasonably priced (as opposed to paying rent to store it indoors). I figured if I take care of the exterior similar to a boat, frequent washes and wax details every 6 to 8 months the paint and trim should be able to handle the full sun and weather in San Diego?

WE keep our outside year round in our office( happens we are North San Diego, Vista, CA) just like car or boat, wash it and its fine, with solar panels, full sun is great. People argue over to keep refer on or off, just like a boat lots of opinons....Like our boat we have shades that pull down and block the full sun and that helps keep the heat inside down. I was told the ceramic is better then waxing for what that is worth...going to try that in the next few months.

Wow, so many thoughts an opinions. Agree with many, but had a few thoughts that I didn't see mentioned (best as I recall), so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I'm all for a geni on boats AND RVs. Although, 80% of my needs can be handled by solar panels, sometines you just need POWER. The bat. & inverter capacity for AC is too much for most RV's. Geni is better. Also, if camping in the redwoods or lots of trees (like I was last week), there can be no solar at all. Had to run every day to keep up bats. Not to mention, I've had times when everything went wrong at the same time & ended up with both engines dieing in boat. (Fuel prob.) By the time the issue was solved, both bats. were tapped & I'd been blowing out into the open ocean. The geni fired up one engine, then started 2nd off that. Same can apply for small RV's that can accidently end up dead in a similar way, but you can jump with the geni. Lastly, on the subject of LP vs fuels; obviously diesel on diesel RV's or gasoline on gas. But for truck campers they use LP so you don't have the liquid fuels on them. Mine has a 3400W LP that is veriable speed inverter style. I think that is the only way to go. Constant speed suck too much fuel & are noisier. I can idle charging or running basically anything other than the AC without it breaking a sweat. Not too loud. Also, air cooled geni's are a bit noisy in general, but good quality engine room soundproofing (like in boats), does wonders. Also, they rarely soundproof UNDER the geni, so making a panel that allows for airflow, but encloses the bottom with the soundproofing on the panel, dropped my outside db's from 84 to 66 standing about 6' from the RV. Hope this helps. Have fun. That's the important part!

Efoy is very popular in Europe, not as popular here, don't know why. Efoy is a methanol fuel cell that generates so many amps per day/per canister. It is expensive to use it solely for electrical power generation but combine it with solar and in sunny areas you could easily go out for a month with the larger model (three sizes, I recommend the top two but not the small one).

In my boat I have solar (300 watts) and the 210 Efoy, combine these two electrical sources with the motor alternator also generating power and I can be out for as long as I want, but I will say one month.

I run two NovaCool units, one a refrigerator with one of those small freezer compartments and a dedicated freezer so I can carry a substantial amount of frozen goods on an extended cruise without hitting up a marina. I use a smaller wattage toaster, roughly ten minutes a day. I also will run a small microwave - 700 watts (but really 1050 watts - it takes power to make power) for about five minutes a day. And I will run an electric kettle, smaller wattage, smaller kettle for about 5 minutes a day (coffee). Also a 28 inch LED TV that is 50 watts, so not much power, and my stereo and speakers. I use roughly 150 amps a day. Also some fans sometime.

Boondocking is what we have in mind....sort of like anchoring out rather than marinas. This Sprinter has 4WD which will allow access to fly fishing spots via BLM and Forest Service roads. Looking forward to it.

If you have solar, you don't need a generator. It's a waste of money and weight - that could be used elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom