Old 12-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A drogue and a sea anchor are 2 totally different things and would be dangerous to use interchangeably unless it is capable of some magic metamorphosis....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A drogue and a sea anchor are 2 totally different things and would be dangerous to use interchangeably unless it is capable of some magic metamorphosis....
Actually that is not far from the way it is supposed to work. Here is an article that describes how the variable drag design works. While sailing and using it as a droque, it is perfect, it doesn't spin or break the surface, but I have never tried to deploy one as a sea anchor, so you may be right. It is SOLAS approved as a 'compliant sea anchor' which is why a number of offshore racers and cruisers carry them I'm sure.

Since I try to avoid extreme conditions in my current boat, my primary interest is for an emergency steering device and drogue, but I have yet to use it for anything on Boomarang. I hope I never have to. I will rig it to see how effective it is though, just to know what I can expect if the time ever arises. Besides, if I ever need a tow, I might be better prepared there too.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Larry
m/v Boomarang

LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Looked at the Seabrake Website. Where can it be purchased?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Guru

I did not buy mine in the States. You might call or email them to find out who distributes them here. Or, they may sell direct.

Seabrake is manufactured by:
Burke Marine Pty Ltd
1/5 Clyde Street
Rydalmere NSW 2116
AUSTRALIA
Tel 61 2 9638 4333
Email: sales@burkemarine.com.au
Old 12-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #25

I have experimented with a 5 gal bucket and different lengths of rope , did not notice any real improvement , a big tyre sounds better except I donot carry one
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #26
Guru

drogues are designed to slow your advance underway...in other words keep you straight or from broaching while you make way...they are deployed from the stern

sea anchors are designed to "anchor" you in one spot....not underway in any shape or form....usually deployed from the bow so the boat can stand the pummeling of the seas.

marketing has blurred these simple definitions for decades....

while variable drag has some merit....when I need to stay off a lee shore...I'm not sure that's ever gonna do the job of a 15-20 foot diameter para...and it sure looks like it would provide too much drag for my vessels cleats so I would have to install a heavy duty attachment point....

then again...I'm better off spending on a great liferaft as my trawler couldn't survive in conditions that would need either....
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
A sea anchor is very useful if you lose power in even relatively mild sea conditions. Imagine getting some air in your fuel, and having to bleed the injectors while the boat is beam to the seas. Most people would barf all over the ER in those conditions. Even waiting for a tow can be a lot less miserable if everybody's not sick.

A drogue is useful if you lose steering. Fortunately that's only happened to me on small outboards, long ago. A makeshift drogue worked pretty well in those cases, while we worked on fixing the steering. As kids, the thought of stopping for repairs never occurred to us.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
Guru

lot's of things on a boat can be used to simulate either in mild to moderate conditions...it's severe that they are truly needed....except in my case hopefully.....
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
lot's of things on a boat can be used to simulate either in mild to moderate conditions...it's severe that they are truly needed....except in my case hopefully.....
+1!!