Stupid Finding Autopilot Computer Tricks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
B & G Network autopilot (20+ years old) is throwing an INT CMP code.

So need to send the computer to be bench-checked etc.

But before I do that I need to find it. Checked the logical and illogical places. Traced wires to no avail. Before I pull cabinets apart has anyone tried those "stud/wire/pipe-finders" for 12v electronics...if they even make them.

Thanks in advance.

Any model # info?

Power up reset results?
Check the plugs on the back of the user head unit?

Last edited:
B & G Network autopilot (20+ years old) is throwing an INT CMP code.

So need to send the computer to be bench-checked etc.

But before I do that I need to find it. Checked the logical and illogical places. Traced wires to no avail. Before I pull cabinets apart has anyone tried those "stud/wire/pipe-finders" for 12v electronics...if they even make them.

Thanks in advance.

Do you know where your pump is? once you find it, just trace the wires back to the AP computer. Most popular locations are near the steering ram, near a helm station but could be anywhere along the steering lines.

Last edited:
Do you know where your pump is? once you find it, just trace the wires back to the AP computer. Most popular locations are near the steering ram, near a helm station but could be anywhere along the steering lines.

Checked plugs.

Did a Reset.

Looked behind helm (camera etc.)

Crawled around ram areas.

Followed wires into the darkness.

I have an idea its somewhere on the port side.

Lots of cabinets on the port side.

B & G Network Pilot.

Thanks for the responses.

Agree with above. The pump has a high power demand, meaning the main box needs to be near the hydraulic pump. Start at the rudder , lazarette, or behind the steering wheel(s).

Keep an eye out for the compass unit. Check your manual, but my recollection is that's a code for a bad compass.

Keep an eye out for the compass unit. Check your manual, but my recollection is that's a code for a bad compass.

My thought too. In fact, it could be something has been placed near the compass that’s affecting it?

My thought too. In fact, it could be something has been placed near the compass that’s affecting it?

Yea, not to be naively optimistic but I would inventory anything that’s been moved or added onboard recently. Putting anything even somewhat magnetic near the AP compass can cause issues.

Always aim for the simple stuff first. Good luck!

Yea, not to be naively optimistic but I would inventory anything that’s been moved or added onboard recently. Putting anything even somewhat magnetic near the AP compass can cause issues.

Always aim for the simple stuff first. Good luck!

Cleared out the area tested it and it was throwing that code before I installed s/s handrails above.

But I will look at that again.

Thanks again.

Could be as simple as a cordless drill stored less than 3ft from the flux gate compass.

OP, you state that your AP is 20+ years old but do you think that it was original equipment when the boat was built? Most likely it was added post-build and as such someone had to find locations for all parts included. I can’t imagine furniture and cabinetry would have been disassembled. You might have to empty cabinets, pull drawers, etc. to find the components but it would be worth the effort to understand the entire system. Then, go from there.

A tone probe could certainly be used. I used one on my EB47 to find a fuse for the windlass. Turned out to be installed INSIDE a box with surface breakers on it. Only found it because the probe went off when I happened to have my hand on the box while absentmindedly pressing the probe. deeedle-deedle... AHA!

But know that the pickup doesn't have a huge range. You have to be within 6-8" of the cable carrying the signal in order for the probe to pick it up. It's handy to determine if the signal is being carried among of bunch other cables, but you won't be able to just wave it around to find something unless you're pretty close to it.

And be sure NOT to use a ground lead of a circuit, as that's going to tone out on everything in the boat connected to ground.

A tone probe could certainly be used. I used one on my EB47 to find a fuse for the windlass. /QUOTE]

WK...thats what I was hoping to hoping to find out here. a "Stud finder" for wires. Thank you.

Eagle. I believe it is not original and was installed after the fact, hence my frustration of why anyone would so hide the brain. Should be a no brainer (pun intended) to find the silly thing.

Thanks for the replies!

There are many tone probe gizmos out there. Mine is an older one from Progressive, but Klein, Ideal, Greenlee and many others make them too. I don't know which ones are any better than others. This video seems to cover using one pretty well:

Newb question re: tone probes. So after looking at the video, it seems that I could disconnect the the cable from the flux gate compass or the head and tone the wire and logically follow the cable to its brain. But in the video he alludes to that ability to be a "circuit tester". What am I missing?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom