Old 07-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Batteries

How many batteries does it take to keep your toast eaten, hair drying, blender drink making first mate happy?

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: RI
Hair dryer??? What's a hair dryer?
All kidding aside, my wife isn't the one who needs the battery capacity. I'm the one who insists on creature comforts while on a boat...
The water maker and refrigeration are big users as are stereo, iPad, iPhone and computer charging. When at anchor we routinely use 100 to 150 amp hours a day... Our bank consists of a pair of Lifeline 4D batteries of about 200 amp hours capacity each when new. They are actually great batteries if you keep them charged properly. In a perfect world, I'd like a third battery but no space for that on our sailboat...
The At 395 has 3 4D's but I have no idea what the refrigeration will consume...
Bruce

Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
How many batteries does it take to keep your toast eaten, hair drying, blender drink making first mate happy?
Enough, that's how many.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
FF
Guru

NO the question is how do you keep the reefer operating while cruising.

It is a 24-7-365 load , a monster compared to an hair dryer or radar oven.

When you solve the reefer hassle , and can go for a day or two in quiet, all it will take for the bride is a $150 inverter, and some wiring.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You need 4 batteries for each woman on board.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
Guru

City: Washington NC Waterfront
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
(4) 6v. Golf Cart batteries = 440 amp hours.
Daily consumption with fridge, electronics, lights etc when anchoring out is 120 ah so we're good for a couple of days. We don't use any AC when on the hook.

Plus 2 #31 start batteries for back-up.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
We don't use any AC when on the hook.
Even around here this time of year? No generator? Fans then, I take it?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The refrigeration is the key. Watermaker is used before generator is turned on so that its last 30 minutes are done while the generator is on. Washing machine is 50/50 sometimes just on inverter sometimes timed with the generator run. Coffee pot (750watts) is done on inverter. Tea pot 1000 watts is frequently done with generator on. Hair dryer is always done with generator on. Heat gun which has as much draw as hair dryer is usually done on the inverter. Generally the heat gun is run for less than one minute. Toaster generally done on inverter as its run time is short. (Another explanation is I make toast and coffee while the admiral is still sleeping.)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
A toaster and hair dryer each pull 1,500 watts (less on low heat for the hair dryer) but only for a few minutes for the former and maybe 5 minutes for the later. A blender might pull half of that but only for a fraction of a minute. So all in all maybe 300 watt hours of energy or 30 amp hours from a 12v battery.

That is why all of the previous posts focus on refrigeration which can run from 50-150 amp hours daily depending on size, insulation and type.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
FF
Guru

IF you will be away from the power hose much , the first purchase should be an SOC (state of charge) meter .

This is a "gas gauge" for your battery set , and its $150 or $200 cost may save hundreds of pounds of batteries from being purchased and hauled on board, multiple times.

Here is one brand , $155 online, lots of others.

Bogart Engineering: home

www.bogartengineering.com/

BOGART ENGINEERING 19020 Two Bar Road, Boulder Creek, CA USA 95006 (831) 338-0616 • www.bogartengineering.com.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:03 AM   #11
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF you will be away from the power hose much , the first purchase should be an SOC (state of charge) meter .

This is a "gas gauge" for your battery set , and its $150 or $200 cost may save hundreds of pounds of batteries from being purchased and hauled on board, multiple times.

Here is one brand , $155 online, lots of others.

Bogart Engineering: home

www.bogartengineering.com/

BOGART ENGINEERING 19020 Two Bar Road, Boulder Creek, CA USA 95006 (831) 338-0616 www.bogartengineering.com.
I installed one of these in our 16' Airstream Bambi about 4 years ago. It has worked out very nicely!
Bruce
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2016, 07:33 AM   #12
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I have a good quality (when desired - illuminated display) multi meter wired into my house bank. Tells charge rate, batt-bank level, amp draw... etc.

Cost - Under $25
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #13
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
I just purchased and installed the Balmar Smart Gauge. We will see how well it works.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #14

Victron makes a nice SOC meter also.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Even around here this time of year? No generator? Fans then, I take it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Victron makes a nice SOC meter also.
We don't overnite in the brutal heat we've had the past few weeks...Evening temps seem tolerable with some low draw fans....

I've been really happy with the Victron. All the info you need in a small, easy to install package. Alleviates my "Range Anxiety"... I could NEVER own an electric car!!
Sterling remote for my charger gives me all the charge info I need as well when at the dock..

Old 07-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #16
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I have a good quality (when desired - illuminated display) multi meter wired into my house bank. Tells charge rate, batt-bank level, amp draw... etc.

Cost - Under $25
How does a multimeter tell you amp draw? Is it measuring a shunt?
MYTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
How does a multimeter tell you amp draw? Is it measuring a shunt?
By doing basic math calcs in my head from knowing batt bank level just before starting a draw (from something[s]) and then watching bank batt level change once the something[s] are drawing power off batts. These mental calcs are not 100% accurate... but, they give me an approximation.

IMO, that is all that is necessary to know about amp draw; unless one wants to get anal about something's particular amp draw... in that case, for detailed accuracy, other equipment is needed. Important thing with wet cell LA house bank batts (such as we have) is to always be able to know where their charge level is. At 50% I charge em back up to 100%. Multi meter is an inexpensive, easy to use and considerably accurate way to keep our LA house bank in good condition via instant access readings.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #18
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Unfortunately LA batteries never give an accurate voltage unless the surface charge has been worn off and the batteries are perfectly at rest which is hard to get on a cruising boat.

Then again...I too check the amperage of items on at anchor and can guesstimate battery state of charge within 20 percent or soafter 8 to 12 hours. My Balmar smart guage is having a hard time zeoing in because of how my batteries are wired....so my guess ranks right up there too....

After awhile...tech just fine tunes experience in many cases.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #19
Art
Guru

First thing I do when coming to boat is lift engine hatch for deep, deep down nose whiff. Then I check multi meter to see house bank level, Then turn on bilge blower for 10 to 15 mins (which runs off house bank). Then plug boat into dock power and start charger, fridge, hot water, and AC outlets. We often arrive late in eve so boat stays plugged in overnight into next morning when we leave for long weekend. Batts are then near or full 100% charge and once stbd engine's started the charge to house bank comes from there. By time we anchor house bank charge is fully over topped off.

We spend weekend with gen set generally running approx. 1 to 1.5 hrs. in morn and eve for cooking, water heating, house bank batt charging, and AC on to charge phones etc.

When we motor back to our slip we then plug back in with charger on till we leave. So... house bank is at 100% when we depart. With batts completely isolated via Perko switches till we return. However, there is a direct wire to a float actuated bilge pump.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

When we motor back to our slip we then plug back in with charger on till we leave. So... house bank is at 100% when we depart. With batts completely isolated via Perko switches till we return. However, there is a direct wire to a float actuated bilge pump.
I stay plugged in all the time while at the dock. The Sterling 40amp charger has a modest 13V. "Idle" mode with an occasional conditioning cycle. My Batteries seem very happy...
Much more precise, intuitive and versatile than my old Charles Unit..