Old 01-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #1

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
T Mobile 55+ Plan

Looking at the mobile plan above. Unlimited text, talk and data plan for 2 phones, $60 a month all in. Does anyone have any experience with coverage, data speeds, and general observations about this service versus Verizon coverage, data speeds, etc? I do realize they advertise 128mbps in other countries for data. Any experience how T Mobile works in Canada or the Bahamas. Please share the good, bad and ugly of each service within and outside the US. Thanks.

sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My understanding is that they trottle down the data coverage at some point. I'm not a cell plan expert so don't take this as gospel but ask the question.

My experience is that in urban areas there is know difference between providers but when you get to the more remote areas Sprint and T-Mobile disapear first.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:30 PM   #3

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
What kind of phone?
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #4

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Sum Escape
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47' Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
What kind of phone?
Samsung S7 and S8+
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Thanks for posting that. We are downsizing and will consider the 55+ plan. We have t-mobile now with 4 lines and generally we are happy with the coverage, but we live in a big city. I like the unlimited data, free Netflix and pandora. But, the coverage is not so good in rural places.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I use Verizon for my phone plans now, but certainly could make a change. My concern, like others is that I use my phone extensively as a data hot-spot while on the boat. Verizon has pretty good coverage over most of the Salish Sea in both WA and BC. Not sure that T-Mobile would do as well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
First, a disclosure, we own phone stores which sell T-Mobile. They do throttle sometimes if you've used over 50 GB during the billing cycle. Look carefully at coverage maps. In most heavily populated areas, the service will equal all the others and in some ways will be superior. However, they have areas without coverage and with weak signals and can't match Verizon's nationwide coverage. Coverage looks solid where you are but there are a few areas of Michigan where it's weak. If you travel to Wisconsin, north of Green Bay, then you'll encounter awful coverage.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #8
Guru

City: Anacortes
Last two summers we have used my wife's t-mobile in bc. Now t-mo does not have a system there, they roam on the bc networks. That said, the service has been amazing. Better than Verizon in years past, plus we still got to use the t-mobile unlimited. The speeds were fast and we streamed Netflix a lot. I'm a believer now. We were not in SAN Juans as much, but I got coverage in places I did not expect. Where I would not have even considered it previously, now my 1st choice for BC.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
First, in the interest of full discourser: I am dumber than a rock.
That being said, I have had AT&T for over 20 years. I use it for a hot spot when WiFi is down in the marina or in places without WiFi
Traveling on the AICW, I have yet to find a spot I could not use the phone.
I use my iPhone exclusively. I do not have a land line at my home in Atlanta. I use it exclusively in the marina. They gave up maintaining the land line which is fine with me. Others are accepting it. I suspect land lines will go the way of a 300 baud modem and the dinosaurs.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #10
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
TMobile has been very spotty from NJ to the Keys. Pretty good in densely populated areas, less so in rural areas and would lose signal in larger sounds quicker than the Verizon phone.

The TMobile was a kate model I ohone where the Verizon was a late model Samsung

My ATT plan was pretty bad in the rural parts of North Carolina ICW and Georgia....similar to TMobile but not as bad...that was on an older IPhone and from 3 to 6 years ago so that might be out dated already.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #11
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I am told, AT&T's plan was to saturate the major cities and then up and down the interstate. So long as the ICW is within range, you should have good service.
15+ years ago, I brought a boat down from Long Island and never lost the signal.
We spent most of the time outside.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #12
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I've had Tmobile and Verizon over the years. The Tmobile was a back up phone and used it very little, but for a few years was primary.

We used to fly extensively all over the US and Alaska. Still do a bit, but not so much. The Verizon clearly is the winner, but not overwhelmingly. The Tmobile would still get service in places like rural TN, WI where we traveled a lot. Any reasonably large city, both are about the same.

I'm keeping my Verizon and probably upping the coverage to unlimited data for the loop trip at about $100 a month. And considering a second phone with Tmobile. Both degrade the signal once you've used enough, so with two different providers I can double the higher speeds.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
As far as downgrading the signal, my crew has TMobile and streams 6 hrs a day or more occasionally for tv shows and movies.....while the slowdown warning pops up, there is nothing noticed while streaming.

Luck or what?... just passing on a tidbit.....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We looked at T-Mobile for the Bahamas. After going to one of their primary stores and talking to their “experts”, we decided not to. They were saying we would have better speeds and coverage than BTC who owns the towers they would be using. We opted to use BTC’s prepaid data plans. Right now you can get 15 gigs of data for $35/month.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #15

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
we have our boat in Oriental NC Pamlico county only has one cell tower it is Verizon . in the ICW from the Neuse river end at Adams creek to Hobucken if you are on the phone there is a good chance it's that tower .I almost didn't use a siren marine monitoring system because there web page said they used. AT@T. I called there tech support and they said the new system use Verizon towers so I bought it.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
As far as downgrading the signal, my crew has TMobile and streams 6 hrs a day or more occasionally for tv shows and movies.....while the slowdown warning pops up, there is nothing noticed while streaming.

Luck or what?... just passing on a tidbit.....
T-Mobile waits far longer to degrade plus only does so in periods of high traffic.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #17

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
20+ years with ATT went to the T-Mobile 55+ much better reception with T-Mobile at home Marina. I have not noticed any negatives to ATT. I hot spot to iPad and TV haven’t noticed a slowdown. No service interruptions on the interstate and better speed where I noticed. Data speed can be vastly different due to location, a few places faster than cable WiFi
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #18
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I use Verizon for my phone plans now, but certainly could make a change. My concern, like others is that I use my phone extensively as a data hot-spot while on the boat. Verizon has pretty good coverage over most of the Salish Sea in both WA and BC. Not sure that T-Mobile would do as well.
Verizon for two years in a row for ASD. Why they have the best Canadian plan (Western B.C.). There are times when we turn our phones off as there is no signal, aka wilderness.

The only places we had issues were Wrangell and Petersburg. The carrier there is AT&T. We could make calls and text but AT&T blocked non customers from data. We had to go up to the library.

I had heard T-Mobile was pretty good too as far as reception. no idea on plans.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #19
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I live in Bellevue, WA, the headquarters for T Mobile, and they don’t have coverage at my house. I use Verizon, but would consider T Mobile if I could get a signal.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
I live in Bellevue, WA, the headquarters for T Mobile, and they don’t have coverage at my house. I use Verizon, but would consider T Mobile if I could get a signal.
It's long been good comedy to watch cell phone companies not have coverage in their home location. Sprint for years. Been interesting watching cable companies too where until they traded some areas a couple of them were not providers in their home areas.