Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Newbie
 
DarrenCharles's Avatar
 
City: Saratoga Springs
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Couple wants to crew, seeking trawler adventure

Hello,
We are enjoying our new, semi-retired lifestyle and would like to spend some time crewing a trawler to find out if this lifestyle is really for us. We are sane, personable and capable. Will share expenses. Does anyone know where we could get the word out?
__________________
Advertisement

DarrenCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
Guru
 
hfoster's Avatar
 
City: Cleveland
Country: USA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 527
Welcome. Charter will also work for you.


Cheers


H.
__________________

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Guru
 
DHeckrotte's Avatar
 
City: Philadelphia, PA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 992
Charter one in some dulcet place. By yourselves. I Googled "Trawler charter Chesapeake".

Charter a Grand Banks on the East Coast | Oxford Yacht Agency

Heritage 36 Trawler in charter by C & C Charters

This one wants to drive you around: https://www.vrbo.com/603644
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
Charter one in some dulcet place. By yourselves. I Googled "Trawler charter Chesapeake".

Charter a Grand Banks on the East Coast | Oxford Yacht Agency

Heritage 36 Trawler in charter by C & C Charters

This one wants to drive you around: https://www.vrbo.com/603644
I think they are looking to crew on someones boat rather than charter. They are willing and able and want to learn. Good for them and good for an owner operator who needs a short term crew.
__________________
Jack (Steve?)
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I think they are looking to crew on someones boat rather than charter. They are willing and able and want to learn. Good for them and good for an owner operator who needs a short term crew.
There is a very fine line between that and a crewed charter.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18,667
Offering to share expenses does not mean charter (especially up front) and they want to ride along, not dictate when or where the vessel goes.

Pretty common.... and I havent heard any recent issues in publications or forums that this is a targeted situation by enforcement.

I dont see the legal tangle, but also not a lawyer
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
There is a very fine line between that and a crewed charter.
I agree wholeheartedly but think these peeps fall below the line of chartering as I understand their post. Maybe I'm wrong but intent seems to be learning?
__________________
Jack (Steve?)
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #8
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,703
If you vacation near a marina with trawlers, you might trying asking around the marina or posting on the community board if they have one. If there's a boating school near there, it never hurts to ask them. They may only teach sailing, but are often in tune with what's going on in the boating community. Being in a land locked area will make it much tougher.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
Newbie
 
DarrenCharles's Avatar
 
City: Saratoga Springs
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Regarding our initial thread above, someone suggested we provide more information, particularly our experience. Here goes:
I have crewed on an 88' replica wooden sailing canal scooter from Long Island to Albany, crewed on a 44 sailboat up the coast of Maine for a few days, owned and sailed a 22' ODay. Also owned a 40x60' sectional barged and moved it around with an old 1950's vintage 150hp single screw Army pusher boat on construction projects. Have since sold all those.
My wife and I crewed on a 42' trawler last year from NYC to Baltimore for about a week and had a good time and were helpful - cooked, did dishes, and helped with ropes.
We would not be good on big open seas and tall waves - more intercoastal material, but could handle 4-6' sea. I am an engineer who can solve problems and fix things. I also dive.
We would be looking for a 1-3 week leg somewhere on the eastern half of the US - maybe help someone move their boat south for the winter.
DarrenCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenCharles View Post
Regarding our initial thread above, someone suggested we provide more information, particularly our experience. Here goes:
I have crewed on an 88' replica wooden sailing canal scooter from Long Island to Albany, crewed on a 44 sailboat up the coast of Maine for a few days, owned and sailed a 22' ODay. Also owned a 40x60' sectional barged and moved it around with an old 1950's vintage 150hp single screw Army pusher boat on construction projects. Have since sold all those.
My wife and I crewed on a 42' trawler last year from NYC to Baltimore for about a week and had a good time and were helpful - cooked, did dishes, and helped with ropes.
We would not be good on big open seas and tall waves - more intercoastal material, but could handle 4-6' sea. I am an engineer who can solve problems and fix things. I also dive.
We would be looking for a 1-3 week leg somewhere on the eastern half of the US - maybe help someone move their boat south for the winter.
So after all that you are still not sure that the"lifestyle is for you?"

What more would you like to consider?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,658
[Deleted]

Got my thread confused with this one:

Couple wants to crew, seeking trawler adventure
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #12
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,271
Too bad they weren't around when Richard needed some crew down in Mexico.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:21 AM   #13
Newbie
 
DarrenCharles's Avatar
 
City: Saratoga Springs
Country: Usa
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
Replying to Menzies:
Correct. I have only had 3 separate overnight journeys on a boat and only 1 was on a trawler. My wife only has 1 overnight journey experience. Before we jump off a cliff and make a purchase of a boat we want to better understand what it is like to live and travel on a trawler.

Thanks for everyone's comments.
DarrenCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #14
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 18,667
A good idea to see if the shoe fits, there is also an association of people who do a loop around the Eastern half of the United States.....I have seen several offering up spots to newcomers to introduce the lifestyle.

Get good at it, and like cruising but not enough to buy a boat, you could become a highly rated invitee coupke and do it multipke times a year without owning.

You may have to join, but it might be part of that cheap insurance to make sure before plopping down tensvof thousands of dollars.

http://www.greatloop.org/content.asp...RoCJ3QQAvD_BwE

Or

https://aglca.clubexpress.com/conten...dule_id=185488
__________________

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012