Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #701
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Ian, I'm like you, coming from a sailing background and it seems the idea of heaving to is pretty alien to most trawler folks. Plus the hull forms and windage distribution means most trawlers couldn't heave to even if they wanted to, so a para anchor on a bridle would be needed to hold position. That said, without any question, we'll carry a para anchor on Delfin when we head out simply because the luxury of just 'pulling off the highway' and taking 24 hours to rest and recharge is worth the effort of learning how to manage the process.
I don't know if the trawler we want can heave too but I suspect it can depending on the sail plan. I need to ask some of the owners to see if they have tried...

I have no idea if a KK42 can heave too but right now Richard would have issues if he could stop. He has two lows arriving in Ireland this week and another one pushing up behind him. If he stops, the low behind him will catch him. He needs to move SLOW enough to avoid the first low to hit Ireland but fast enough to avoid the low moving up behind him AND fast enough to get to port before the second low hits Ireland.

On the 48 & 96 hour wave forecasts the low moving behind Richard is going to have 3 to 4 meter waves moving from the SSW to Ireland. He needs to get to port, not to fast, not to slow, but Goldilock Speed.

Later,
Dan

dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #702
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I don't know if the trawler we want can heave too but I suspect it can depending on the sail plan. I need to ask some of the owners to see if they have tried...

I have no idea if a KK42 can heave too but right now Richard would have issues if he could stop. He has two lows arriving in Ireland this week and another one pushing up behind him. If he stops, the low behind him will catch him. He needs to move SLOW enough to avoid the first low to hit Ireland but fast enough to avoid the low moving up behind him AND fast enough to get to port before the second low hits Ireland.

On the 48 & 96 hour wave forecasts the low moving behind Richard is going to have 3 to 4 meter waves moving from the SSW to Ireland. He needs to get to port, not to fast, not to slow, but Goldilock Speed.

Later,
Dan
With a paravane on a 'Pardey' bridal, you could bring a barge into a hove to state if there is a bit of wind, or so I believe. Just has to be sized for the boat.

Yes, I hope Dauntless can ride what sounds like a benign middle between two fronts. Much more comfortable, especially as a single hander.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #703
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
With apologies for the food diversion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
It's bad enough that I finished my last pecan pie AND I have 20 cans of tuna fish, but NO mayonnaise.
I've made tuna-fish with ranch dressing instead of mayo. And on a long spell away from a store used some hot and sweet mustard. Definitely the ranch was preferred, but every condiment is an option.

For the past year or so I've added lentil sprouts to my tuna too. The sprouts offer a bit of texture. Ditto boat-grown scallions.

P.S. - Foil packages are the best for tuna. The StarKist brand has some with seasoning that are amazing. Lemon Pepper is my favorite.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #704
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Is there a reason he doesn't want to see more than 24hrs out?
Lack of accuracy.

Predicted front locations can be off by a couple hundred miles which we have seen in the last couple of days. The lows also have moved a bit from predicted locations 48 and 96 hours out. I am pretty sure I saw a series of forecasts where a low hitting Ireland moved from the south of the island to the north and back again. In hindsight, I wish I had printed out the charts so I could have referred back to them to see what was predicted and what actually occurred.

It will be VERY interesting to hear what Richard has to say about his trip. I am really curious about the turn he took early last week. I am wondering if the turn was due to the 48 and 96 hour forecasts I gave him. At that time he did not have the current data, at least not from me, though I gave him that information the next morning. Did the data arrive to late?

Every weather data text I send is prefaced with the chart name, CurrentSurface, 48HRSurface, 96HRSurface, etc. For the first few days I was also sending the charts issue and valid time stamp but he asked me to stop providing that info as well. It might have made the order of charts unclear or made more work for Richard? I don't know but he asked me to stop, so I did. I REALLY try to make it crystal clear what chart the data is being pulled. I even tell him that N number of texts were sent.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 03:08 PM   #705
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
With apologies for the food diversion...

I've made tuna-fish with ranch dressing instead of mayo. And on a long spell away from a store used some hot and sweet mustard. Definitely the ranch was preferred, but every condiment is an option.

For the past year or so I've added lentil sprouts to my tuna too. The sprouts offer a bit of texture. Ditto boat-grown scallions.

P.S. - Foil packages are the best for tuna. The StarKist brand has some with seasoning that are amazing. Lemon Pepper is my favorite.
The foil pouches do taste better.

I will try the ranch dressing idea that sounds like it might be good. BTDT with mustard and I no not like.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #706
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Blubyu, Dannc or anyone talking to Dauntless,
Have you noticed that his battery on the Delorme is indicating low? Has he mentioned anything about this?
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #707

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Blubyu, Dannc or anyone talking to Dauntless,
Have you noticed that his battery on the Delorme is indicating low? Has he mentioned anything about this?
I saw that low battery on his last two position updates. I messaged this to him.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #708

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
I sent Dauntless a text around 4:30 est.
Have not heard back. he is most likely resting?
also noticed the low battery....
all the speeds I have seen are around 6.7 mph...
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #709
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I saw that low battery on his last two position updates. I messaged this to him.
I noticed that in his last update that his speed had dropped to 3.11 mph. Hope he is not having alternator problem

Edit: Speed back up to 6.9. Maybe his readings are going up and down the swells. Battery in Delorme unit showing low.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #710
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I noticed that in his last update that his speed had dropped to 3.11 mph. Hope he is not having alternator problems.

I believe he meant his DeLorme, unless It's connected to the alternator?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #711
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I noticed that in his last update that his speed had dropped to 3.11 mph. Hope he is not having alternator problem

Edit: Speed back up to 6.9. Maybe his readings are going up and down the swells. Battery in Delorme unit showing low.
I noticed a few times that his speed had dropped from 6-8 knots to 3ish. I don't know if it is an error in transmission or if he did indeed slow down.

I have noticed the low battery but did not say anything. I don't know if the low battery is correct either. He does not seem to have a problem sending or receiving texts and I have not seen a problem with tracking when I have checked.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #712
Guru

Back to Food. Its not off topic since it is an issue.

I sent a text to Richard with the idea of using Ranch dressing with tuna...

He replied that he makes his own Ranch and Russian dressing....

With Mayo!

Should we sent a case of Mayo, preferably Dukes Mayo from the deep south , to Ireland?

He is also said he was missing pie so maybe we should also send some pecan pies.

He was feeling a bit sea sick earlier today so eating was not really on the agenda. He said the paravanes are really working and without them it would be ugly.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #713
Guru

Quote:
Richard texted me at 1701 EST.

I mentioned in earlier texts that the wave and wind predictions were all over the place. He said that is why he does not use/need them. He said they really are not precise enough and that they are averages over a large area over a large time.

Very interesting to say the least.

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #714
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
No point in focusing on WXX more than 48 hours out. Predictions, particularly timing are highly uncertain. Even 24 hrs is iffy.

Jim.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #715
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I would imagine accuracy. With all that weather forming and moving around in his area the forecast would be pretty fluid I would think.

To bad he could not have gone a bit earlier in the year when the weather might have been more stabile.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #716
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Single hand or double hand I do watches with a 20 minute timer on my harness.. and catnap between alarms. A body has to sleep, just watch the skippers on Deadliest Catch wear down on a 24hr sit at the helm.. and all the Red Bull doesn't help. Blue water cruising while doing the above is relatively safe.. it's close to land/shipping where most trouble happens.

Most people that worry too much about this kind of thing never leave the beach.

I applaud Richard for living his dream and not be afraid to step out of the comfort zone to make it come true.

Modern equipment and Nav systems make this much safer and more doable

HOLLYWOOD
Absolutely correct. That is what we did as well. I calculated how long it would take a vessel to appear on the horizon and mow me down and it was right around 20 minutes. I didn't find that sleep to be particularly restful, but it kept me going with an alert eye often enough to likely do a better watch than was being kept on the very few ships we saw. Ships, by the way that rarely answered a VHF hail. I assumed it was because they didn't speak English or were asleep in their bunks.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #717

Reply from Richard concerning the low battery and if he was aware....

I am now.
Thanks for watching over me :-)

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 46.231263 Lon -14.416337
Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #718
Guru

Ok, the food and dining situation on Dauntless is getting critical....

No Mayo.
No Hot Sauce.
No Ranch dressing.
No PIE!

The rolling of the boat broke the bottle of vodka!!!!!!!

I asked Richard if he had a sponge or straw?

Maybe the award for Passage Maker, Ocean Crosser or whatever the term eventually becomes, should include a broken bottle of vodka?

Don't laugh about the straw...

For years I would buy my dad a vintage bottle of port. Recently we started to drink some of those bottles that I bought back in the 80's and 90's. We got curious and look up the value on one bottle and it was over $300!

When we decanted the bottle I told the wife to be very careful with her glass. It might hold $50 of Port! I told her if she knocked the glass over she was going to use a straw to drink the spilled port!

So you know what happened....

Yep, she knocked over her glass! I ran and grabbed TWO straws! I ain't kidding either!

That Port was the best Port I have ever drank from a bottle OR a counter top!

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 PM   #719
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Reply from Richard concerning the low battery and if he was aware....

I am now.
Thanks for watching over me :-)

Richard Bost sent this message from:
Lat 46.231263 Lon -14.416337
Thank you for telling him. I was just checking weather to see if there were any surprises. None that I can see so far on 24 hours...

Later,
Dan
Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Thank you for telling him. I was just checking weather to see if there were any surprises. None that I can see so far on 24 hours...

Later,
Dan
I debated about eating up some of his message data allotment but after reading about Delorme and the rates decided it wouldn't break the bank.

If I go cruising again I think I'll use Delorme.