Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Yanmar genny engine

I was changing the oil on the genny and after starting it to check for oil leaks I noticed a drip from the impeller housing. Took the plate off and checked the impeller and resealed it.

Still leaks.

Noticed a little screw at the base of the impeller housing. Looks like coming from there but could be coming from shaft also maybe?

What's that screw for? Anyone ever had a leak like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439408075.541747.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	43119
Looks like salt on the shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439408100.324678.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	43120
The little screw.

Edit:

Cleaned it off and looked again. Definitely coming from the shaft that spins the impeller. Is there a reparable seal on that shaft?
__________________
Advertisement

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
I'd replace pump and rebuild old for spare.
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I was changing the oil on the genny and after starting it to check for oil leaks I noticed a drip from the impeller housing. Took the plate off and checked the impeller and resealed it.

Still leaks.

Noticed a little screw at the base of the impeller housing. Looks like coming from there but could be coming from shaft also maybe?

What's that screw for? Anyone ever had a leak like this

Attachment 43119
Looks like salt on the shaft.

Attachment 43120
The little screw.

Edit:

Cleaned it off and looked again. Definitely coming from the shaft that spins the impeller. Is there a reparable seal on that shaft?
The little screw secures the cam inside the pump cavity.

If a Yanmar engine, it will probably have a Johnson pump installed. The seals can typically be changed and are available individually, or in a pump rebuild kit. You may need a gear and bearing puller to disassemble it, and possibly a press to reassemble, depending on the model.

Believe it or not, the shaft seals on the raw water side have been known to leak when the pump runs after a period of disuse, and re-seal after running for a while. I have seen this on two different Yanmar diesels. Since you have it back together, run it a while and see what happens. If it fails, it will likely fail slowly so it can't hurt to run it a bit and see.
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
The little screw secures the cam inside the pump cavity.

If a Yanmar engine, it will probably have a Johnson pump installed. The seals can typically be changed and are available individually, or in a pump rebuild kit. You may need a gear and bearing puller to disassemble it, and possibly a press to reassemble, depending on the model.

Believe it or not, the shaft seals on the raw water side have been known to leak when the pump runs after a period of disuse, and re-seal after running for a while. I have seen this on two different Yanmar diesels. Since you have it back together, run it a while and see what happens. If it fails, it will likely fail slowly so it can't hurt to run it a bit and see.

Ok. Will run it awhile and see if it seals. That would be nice.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 672
It is easy to buy and install new seals. The only tools you need are a few blocks of wood and a hammer. It is about a 15 minute job.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #6
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
It is easy to buy and install new seals. The only tools you need are a few blocks of wood and a hammer. It is about a 15 minute job.

Awesome. Thanks.

I'm having a hard time finding a good source for Yanmar parts. Who do y'all use?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Cardude,

Actually, here is a pretty good overview of what it will take to overhaul the Johnson pump. Compass Marine did a good job on this and it clearly shows what it will take.

Sources for the pump parts are the generator manufacturer, Yanmar if you can positively identify the engine type, Depco Pump Company, or just get online with the pump model number and see what sources you can find.

Here are some Yanmar parts sources if you are back on the Gulf Coast:

Laboarde Products, Channelview TX, 281-247-8925
Gulf Complete Marine Service, Inc., Kemah, TX 281-334-4417
Y.E.S., Kemah, TX 281-538-9377
Palmer Power, Houston, TX 800-364-4637

I do like the idea of buying a new one and having a rebuilt as a spare. That's what I do for my main, and might do it for the generator next time it needs service.
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Wow. Thanks Larry. You are the Yanmar guru.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
Cardude,

Actually, here is a pretty good overview of what it will take to overhaul the Johnson pump. Compass Marine did a good job on this and it clearly shows what it will take.

Sources for the pump parts are the generator manufacturer, Yanmar if you can positively identify the engine type, Depco Pump Company, or just get online with the pump model number and see what sources you can find.

Here are some Yanmar parts sources if you are back on the Gulf Coast:

Laboarde Products, Channelview TX, 281-247-8925
Gulf Complete Marine Service, Inc., Kemah, TX 281-334-4417
Y.E.S., Kemah, TX 281-538-9377
Palmer Power, Houston, TX 800-364-4637

I do like the idea of buying a new one and having a rebuilt as a spare. That's what I do for my main, and might do it for the generator next time it needs service.
I am pretty sure Laboarde is a wholesale distributor.

Gulf Coast Complete....I am not a fan.

YES is the best of the bunch...Talk to Cyndi

Don't know Palmer.

What kind of generator???...Kohler? Land and Sea is a Kohler and Yanmar dealer....talk to Brandy. They do good business.
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #10
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
It's a Maspower generator with a Yanmar 3TNV76 engine.

Thanks for the info!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
"If it fails, it will likely fail slowly so it can't hurt to run it a bit and see."

The pump pressurizes the water to move it.

The area behind the pump that drives it is not under pressure.

Why would the seal failure not pump water into the engine block?

Is there a second oil seal in the block?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #12
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,376
Dude

There is no upside to waiting for the pump to fail, which it will. Weep holes are there for a reason, to weep before you do. As suggested by some very bright people already on this thread, get a new pump. Then you can play around with hammering on your old one.

As you continue bringing your vessel back into reliable shape do each task correctly and conservatively. You will not regret it
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
Guru
 
Rogerh's Avatar
 
City: Niceville, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 665
I cant say enough for Depco pump. They will fix your pump and get it back to you quick and reasonable. They will give you a cost estimate on the phone before you send it to them. Best service I have ever had.
Agree that you should buy a new pump and rebuild or get this one rebuilt. Having a backup on trips is worth alot.
Rogerh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #14
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Yanmar genny engine

I'm tired of weeping. I like the new pump idea as well.

Now to figure out what pump I have. It looks like a Johnson pump from some pics I've matched up on the internet. I didn't see any numbers on my pump, but it was still installed on the genny and hard to see.



Thanks!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #15
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"If it fails, it will likely fail slowly so it can't hurt to run it a bit and see."

The pump pressurizes the water to move it.

The area behind the pump that drives it is not under pressure.

Why would the seal failure not pump water into the engine block?

Is there a second oil seal in the block?
Fred,

Yes, there are two seals, one on the water side and the other on the crankcase side. The weep hole is between them so that if either leaks, it is directed out of the pump housing and does not cross from one side to the other. It also provides a visual indication of which seal is leaking.
All in all a pretty good design.

__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #16
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
Found the pump finally. It is a Jabsco pump. $350. Sigh.

Sent the pic to Pumpvendors so they could try to match it up, and the guy emailed me back in 5 minutes. Said he got the number off the front plate that I emailed him. I totally missed the part number stamped on the plate. I'm blind.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
Guru
 
LarryM's Avatar
 
City: League City, TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Found the pump finally. It is a Jabsco pump. $350. Sigh.

Sent the pic to Pumpvendors so they could try to match it up, and the guy emailed me back in 5 minutes. Said he got the number off the front plate that I emailed him. I totally missed the part number stamped on the plate. I'm blind.
If this is the pump, it looks like they also sell the Major and Minor Service Kits at reasonable prices. You might ask them if you haven't already. That way, you could rebuild your old one for a spare for not too many $$$.

In case you didn't already know, according to Mastry Marine's dealer locator, the nearest authorized MasPower dealer is:

TEMPEST MARINE SERVICES Inc.
824 CR 792
Oyster Creek, TX 77541
Phone: 979-233-0700
email: tempestmarine@hotmail.com
Website: www.tempestmarineservices.com

Have fun
__________________
Larry
M/V Pelago
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
CW
Veteran Member
 
CW's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 42-125
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 42
I had Depco rebuild my seawater pump for my Northern Lights genny last year. I also had excellent, quick service with a good turn around time. Good luck.
CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,184
My plan is to get a new pump then try to rebuild the other one and use it as a spare.
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #20
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
If a Yanmar engine, it will probably have a Johnson pump installed. The seals can typically be changed and are available individually, or in a pump rebuild kit. You may need a gear and bearing puller to disassemble it, and possibly a press to reassemble, depending on the model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Found the pump finally. It is a Jabsco pump. $350. Sigh.

Sent the pic to Pumpvendors so they could try to match it up, and the guy emailed me back in 5 minutes. Said he got the number off the front plate that I emailed him. I totally missed the part number stamped on the plate. I'm blind.

I was just about to say our Kohler genset has a Yanmar 3TNE diesel and the pump is a Sherwood. With code stamped on the plate. And it uses SAE fasteners. (Which I didn't expect, until I figured out the pump was a Sherwood.)

Anyway... good you tracked yours down. Blind or not.

-Chris
__________________

__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012