Too many spares?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think the reason you should carry a full oil change on a BWB is in case you have a leak or contamination. Or you need to drain the system in order to achieve a repair. Same for tranny and cooling. Just saying.. even on the the sailboat with sails to fall back on we carried those filters and supplies.

So regarding spares what say you? Am I crazy or what?

My boat is designed and equipped to be used in remote places and for that reason I carry a lot of spares / redundancy. So, for example, while I don't have a back up low pressure pump for my water maker, I do have two water makers. From my perspective, your list isn't excessive, although there are a few items I don't carry: I have 1 spare anchor, not 5, no separate fuel tank for the dinghy (its tank is integral), and I have never considered fuel/water/black tank deck plugs. And I have only two credit cards.

The one spare that I wish I had, and I didn't see it on your list, is spare props.

Think the reason you should carry a full oil change on a BWB is in case you have a leak or contamination. Or you need to drain the system in order to achieve a repair. Same for tranny and cooling. Just saying.. even on the the sailboat with sails to fall back on we carried those filters and supplies.
Yup, agree, and we've got all that covered!:dance:

The one spare that I wish I had, and I didn't see it on your list, is spare props.

The boat has a Hundsted CPP. We don't have an entire spare prop, as it's about $45k, but we DO have one spare blade for the prop assembly.

How heavy is your prop?
And do you really think you'd be able to change i underwater?

On ours Rudder would have to be removed and you'd need a forklift to lift the prop

Plus Conan strength and a massive breaker bar to undo the nut holding it on.

How heavy is your prop?
And do you really think you'd be able to change i underwater?

On ours Rudder would have to be removed and you'd need a forklift to lift the prop

Plus Conan strength and a massive breaker bar to undo the nut holding it on.

That's my logic. I can't change props without help, so losing a couple days for prop repairs or to get props shipped in isn't a huge deal.

Totally agree with you.
Hint; If you have a lady onboard, you can never have too much TP onboard
Blockage risk rises proportionally per heavy TP user lady.

Full set of anodes for hull, running gear, thruster and engines. Extra boat and tender keys. Extra binoculars.

One observation as a tech: I come across quite a few 'spare' belts, hoses, impellers and seals that are deteriorated due to age and storage conditions. Rubber parts that may not be used for a long time should be stored in well sealed packages away from heat. Be sure to rotate stock with belts, hoses and impellers. It happens a lot, new stuff is bought for a maintenance job and the spares on board stay where they are - rotate stock!

One observation as a tech: I come across quite a few 'spare' belts, hoses, impellers and seals that are deteriorated due to age and storage conditions. Rubber parts that may not be used for a long time should be stored in well sealed packages away from heat. Be sure to rotate stock with belts, hoses and impellers. It happens a lot, new stuff is bought for a maintenance job and the spares on board stay where they are - rotate stock!
Excellent point! And I'd add that you should periodically go through all your spares to re-familiarize yourself with what you have, also to check expiration dates, etc. :dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom