Toilet and macerator maintence

Anyone ever use RidX in toilets to maintain hoses and tanks

Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
We use it here at the house for our septic system, no idea how effective it is. Certainly should work on a boat tank.

Personally, I never felt the need to use it on the boat. We had a well ventilated tank that got pumped out regularly. I don't see where it would have any effect on hoses. We used distilled white vinegar for them, well, just because. With a fresh water system, that was probably superfluous.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #3

City: Slidell la
Vessel Name: Bonnie C’S
Vessel Model: DeFever 40ft Passage-maker Downeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We use it here at the house for our septic system, no idea how effective it is. Certainly should work on a boat tank.

Personally, I never felt the need to use it on the boat. We had a well ventilated tank that got pumped out regularly. I don't see where it would have any effect on hoses. We used distilled white vinegar for them, well, just because. With a fresh water system, that was probably superfluous.

So just pour the white vinegar in toilets will clean hoses sorry I am new at this
Harlyguynola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: AR
RidX is cultured to do just one thing: dissolve sludge in septic tanks, which are anaerobic systems into which all kinds of things--gray water, bits of food, dirt from hand washing etc-- along with toilet waste. Holding tanks, otoh, are aerobic systems when managed correctly. RidEx won't do much to prevent odor in them.

As for white vinegar--and btw, use only WHITE vinegar because it's more acidic than cider: it doesn't clean mineral buildup out of hoses, a cupful--MAYBE 2 cups, but any more is just a waste of good vinegar--flushed all the way through the system every week or two PREVENTS sea water mineral buildup in hoses. It should be flushed out with clean FRESH water after about 45 minutes. NEVER leave vinegar sitting in the bowl! When soft rubber--e.g. joker valves--are allowed to sit and soak in vinegar it swells and distorts.

Since you're new at all this, I think you'll find my book useful...see link in my signature...just click on the title, which is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em, cuz as we all know, prevention is always a lot cheaper and easier than cure! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Peggie, you don’t need to plug your book, we’ll do it for you.

Buy Peggie’s Book!!!
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...gateway&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3921A8FE-FF3F-4221-9D32-1BF0170983F2.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	91929  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Peggie, you don’t need to plug your book, we’ll do it for you.

Buy Peggie’s Book!!!
https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...gateway&sr=8-1
Agree..
If you are new to boating or just haven't found this yet.... get yourself a copy - I'm confident you will learn something and be better off!
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
To clear toilets, hoses, pumps etc, of calcium, minerals and other buildup, uncloric acid is the best.

Dissolve the powder in a gallon of water, pour it into the toilet and down through the hoses. Let it sit overnite, pump the toilet for a second or two to move the acid through the system, let it sit for a while. You may need more than one container of the acid depending on the length of your hose runs.

Flush the system with fresh water and the innards of your toilet, hoses and pump will be completely clear of buildup.

I do this cleaning once a year for maintenance. I also clean a sanitation system with the acid before I work on it so I don't have to deal with the yuck.

Uncloric acid is available from Marine Sanitation in Seattle.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Oh gosh yes, Peggie's book. I'm excited to get it next month. I have a book list on Amazon. Every month when I get paid, I order a predetermined dollar amount of books. That amount is usually $50 but I sometimes allow for overages if a book is good. My current line up is of books that I believe will help me complete my boat build. Peggie's is one of those books.

Shhh, don't tell Peggie. I've had a sneak peek and know her book is really good. I didn't get to read the entire book. I look forward to reading it through.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Durango
Vessel Name: Elaine May
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Macerator not draining when flushed. It my pump bad? Possibly a plugged drain hose? Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem? We have never pooped in it so I’m thinking the line isn’t plugged.
Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: AR
I'm guessing you're referring to a macerating toilet. It's impellers that pull flush water in and push bowl contents out...the macerator in it is just a little blade similar to a blender blade. If flushes aren't going anywhere, there are three possibilities:

Failed/worn out discharge impeller, a blocked holding tank vent or--if the toilet uses sea water--sea water mineral buildup in the toilet discharge line that's reduced the diameter enough to block it.

All tank vents have two main functions: to provide an escape for air displaced by incoming contents and provide a source of air to replace contents as they're pulled out. When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing.

Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing.

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank (Less likely at the tank if solids are never flushed). Start by cleaning out the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't result in a spew out the vent, you'll need to relieve the pressure before removing the vent line from the tank to clean them out...so open the deck pumpout fitting VERY CAREFULLY with a hose at the ready. Be sure you're UPwind of it! Scrape out that end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank...replace the vent line.

If there's a filter in the vent line, remove it...once a filter gets wet--which can happen when a tank is overfilled or even due to heeling--the charcoal swells and blocks the vent.

Replacing the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" thru-hull will let you prevent future blockages 'cuz you can put a hose nozzle against it and backflush the vent line every time you wash the boat.

If clearing the tank vent doesn't solve the problem, remove the toilet discharge line from the pump and check for a buildup. We'll tell you what to do to cure that if necessary.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
Macerator not draining when flushed. It my pump bad? Possibly a plugged drain hose? Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem? We have never pooped in it so I’m thinking the line isn’t plugged.
My macerator stopped pumping last summer. Inspected it and its impeller had vanes missing. It was 10 years old. I had a spare so no huge deal other than a pretty gross job changing it.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post

One possibility might be uric acid crystal build-up in the discharge line that runs from toilet to holding tank.

If so, Trac's product called Sew Clean may work to clear that up for you. We had that problem once, and SC cleared it easily/quickly.

-Chris
Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Durango
Vessel Name: Elaine May
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Tx for your advice, yes I am talking about a toilet. I’ll start working thru your suggestions.

Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote