Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Deidra, here is the area where our built-in furniture was removed. Good luck and have fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2231838351.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	17679

islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
The cushions of the Eagle were original straight up and down, narrow, uncomfortable and ugly! So we changed converted them to be wider and more like a domestic sofa. We used the original foam and ply as the bases. The bottom ply extended about 6 further out, and glued a round to the edge, and a round to the lower back as a lumbar support. This made the cushions wider, and more comfortable like a sofa. Then re upholstered. They are so comfortable that many nights we fall asleep on them.
We're facing the exact same issue. Only worse, the backs are up against the inward-sloping exterior bulkhead, so they're not straight up, but ever so slightly angled forward. Horribly uncomfortable!

I like your idea of re-engineering by pulling the base out a little and putting something in the back to keep it at a better angle.

I'd also like to rip the whole thing out and just put in a sofa. But the hinge side of the engine compartment hatch is about 32" from the wall and any sofa I've seen (1) is wider than that, and (2) the back slopes backward making it even farther from the wall.

We looked at some wicker outdoor furniture which looked good and was very comfortable, but wow, they're not cheap. And again the back angles outward a lot.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I need to clarify, the plywood sticks out 3 inch but the foam extend out inch another couple inches so the foam hang over the plywood.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook, Tx
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimecruiser View Post
Deidra, here is the area where our built-in furniture was removed. Good luck and have fun.

Attachment 17679
Trying to remember. Was this flexsteel? Does it come out over the engine room covers at all? I'm ready to order something. The built-in is just NOT comfortable for more than one person.
Deidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidra View Post
Trying to remember. Was this flexsteel? Does it come out over the engine room covers at all? I'm ready to order something. The built-in is just NOT comfortable for more than one person.
Deidra, yes it is a Flexsteel sofa with two incliners. We have it sitting about 6 inches from the wall(because we have stuff stored behind it) and it does come out a little over the hatches but we can still get all the hatches up without moving the sofa.

So have you closed on it??

Gina
Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Deidra, here is the area where our built-in furniture was removed. Good luck and have fun.Attachment 17679
That sure looks like the FlexSteel. Where did you order from?? I haven't replaced our futon/sofa yet. Currently we have just the two barrel chairs and two ottomans that can hold 300lbs for extra seating. I gottta tell you, our salon looks very open and roomy with just the two chairs w/ottomans.

It's just us now that we lost our first-mate dog, so the sofa was less important. (Tivo was a couch potato) I'd still like to have one for the occasional guest that might stay over. But the FlexSteel's I had found were about 1k. There were other projects that came before the sofa in the budget line up.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besslb View Post

That sure looks like the FlexSteel. Where did you order from?? I haven't replaced our futon/sofa yet. Currently we have just the two barrel chairs and two ottomans that can hold 300lbs for extra seating. I gottta tell you, our salon looks very open and roomy with just the two chairs w/ottomans.

It's just us now that we lost our first-mate dog, so the sofa was less important. (Tivo was a couch potato) I'd still like to have one for the occasional guest that might stay over. But the FlexSteel's I had found were about 1k. There were other projects that came before the sofa in the budget line up.
Yes it's Flexsteel and yes they aren't cheap. I think we got it from Glastop. Since we liveaboard we wanted recliners and we have limited space. Regular furniture was too big and recliners take up to much space to "recline" so we opted for Flexsteel because we could get "incliners".

Sorry you lost your first-mate dog. We have two and they are family.

Gina
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Deidra, yes it is a Flexsteel sofa with two incliners. We have it sitting about 6 inches from the wall(because we have stuff stored behind it) and it does come out a little over the hatches but we can still get all the hatches up without moving the sofa.

So have you closed on it??

Gina
Yes, we closed two weeks ago and spent this past weekend "moving in". Moving my husband in really, I'm still at the house during the week. We bought a new mattress as our number one priority and went to the canvas shop to order something opaque for the front three windows because we felt on display after dark. I really love your double incliner loveseat... Are the handles on the inside? Did you pick it up or have it shipped?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Yes, we closed two weeks ago and spent this past weekend "moving in". Moving my husband in really, I'm still at the house during the week. We bought a new mattress as our number one priority and went to the canvas shop to order something opaque for the front three windows because we felt on display after dark. I really love your double incliner loveseat... Are the handles on the inside? Did you pick it up or have it shipped?
** Not to induce thread creep - but - Good Window screens also help keep the interior cooler in the hot months. Make sure your canvas shop uses something that is UV blocking. I used Sunbrella canvas for mine, but also have the Phifertex mesh for when we want to see out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canvas9.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	19051  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Sorry you lost your first-mate dog. We have two and they are family.Gina
Me too. They are definitely family. Give yours a hug from me.

Back to sofas...go to your local RV shows...all the nice RVs have FlexSteel!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Quote:
Congratulations! It's funny that the first thing we had to do was buy a mattress. I made Phifertex covers for all my windows. I opted for the 90% shading so we can see out a little. I made white vinyl covers for the windshield just for summer. A word of caution...even though our Bimini is navy I opted for white window covers. On our last boat we had a new black canvas windshield cover made and we moved aboard and it was unbearably hot. We had a white vinyl one made and you could not feel the heat on the windshield at all. Sorry for the diversion.

Back to the sofa, the handles are small levers on the inside and we had it shipped.

Gina
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Is Phifertex the screen type material? We did have that over front and sides but you can see right through it at night! I like the closeness on the the dock but not that close! Gee, I was so sore after all the boat work this past weekend that I fell asleep on the couch after work these last two nights . New mattress was absolutely first. In case anyone wonders, you can bend an innerspring mattress in half briefly to shove it through the narrow openings and afterwards it is just fine! I'm already starting to wish I had bought that sailrite machine... the front covers and recovering the helm seats is one small fortune and replacing the two pieces of front upper "glass" is another. Still, we have to do something about making the salon more liveable so I want to be prepared to order the "double incliner".
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is Phifertex the screen type material? We did have that over front and sides but you can see right through it at night! I like the closeness on the the dock but not that close! Gee, I was so sore after all the boat work this past weekend that I fell asleep on the couch after work these last two nights . New mattress was absolutely first. In case anyone wonders, you can bend an innerspring mattress in half briefly to shove it through the narrow openings and afterwards it is just fine! I'm already starting to wish I had bought that sailrite machine... the front covers and recovering the helm seats is one small fortune and replacing the two pieces of front upper "glass" is another. Still, we have to do something about making the salon more liveable so I want to be prepared to order the "double incliner".
I purchased the Phifertex from Sailrite. There were 2 choices-- 75% and 90%. I opted for the 90% because one of our dock mates had the 75% and it didn't keep enough of the sun out and you could see in the boat too easily. The 90% does a better job. I still switch the windshield to marine vinyl in summer to keep all the heat out. I also put window blinds in the salon.

All your projects sound like mine about this time last year! Keep plugging away -- it gets better.

Gina
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

It'a a labor of love I wanted to post some pics but I have to study to find out how. Just copy and past doesn't seems to work. Any tips?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
It'a a labor of love I wanted to post some pics but I have to study to find out how. Just copy and past doesn't seems to work. Any tips?
Set up your account | Help, Tips, etc

Post #6 in the above thread will guide you through the process.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #36
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
When every cubic inch matters....

Every cubic inch of storage space is very valuable to us. I decided to build my own settee and have it professionally upholstered. If I was any good at sewing, I would have done it myself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plywood Sarcophagus.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	19243   Click image for larger version

Name:	After Veneering.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	19245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Product.JPG
Views:	59