Inflatable dingys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody5

Veteran Member
I see some very inexpensive PVC inflatable tenders a West Marine are they any good? The Haplon fabric models are more expensive are the a better choice?

Lots of previous threads on this, but just one tip -- my Bestway ("Hydroforce") dinghy blew out its floor in the first year. By "blew" I mean it delaminated, so a huge bubble or pillow formed in the floor. I contacted Bestway a couple different ways. Zero help, zero assistance on replacement, even if I wanted to buy a new floor. And the floor isn't a commonly available size from Ali Express or other third party sources, so now I either pay for a whole new dinghy, or order a custom made floor from China which costs more than the dinghy did.

You asked about West Marine's less expensive dinghys. Given that you're buying it from a well-established domestic company that would almost certainly give you a little more protection or repair or replacement options than what I did. Bottom line, I got what I paid for. The PVC, Zodiac-brand dinghy I bought from Defender lasted seven years, and would still be in use except it was just too small. The Bestway (sold through Costco and others) lasted about eight months. I wouldn't go cheap-as-possible again.

I have an inflatable West roll-up dinghy and after several seasons still looks like new. Some say they are made by Zodiac, but I don't know that for sure. They seem good for the price but not sure what model you are looking at. You might want to check Defender too.

Years ago I bought an inexpensive west marine roll up inflatable. Worked okay, decent enough that a buddy also bought one.

Our marina at the time was near a very nice anchorage in SF Bay (Clipper Cove for those familiar). One evening we dinghy out to a friend's boat who was there for the weekend. We were pretty tipsy by the time we returned. As we landed in his slip, we hit an exposed nail head and the tube essentially exploded. I had already started getting out so I just jelly-rolled onto the dock. Brian however didn't immediately sense the gravity (literal) of the situation and went down with the ship as a good captain should. We laughed then, and still laugh about it.

To answer the OPs question, I would not own another PVC boat. Hypalon is a vastly superior product (it has a different name now).

Peter

Hypalon is often used as an identifier but was a brand name that is no longer produced.
I would suggest getting a higher quality inflatable as the primary goal rather than the material. What your personal use will be with the boat will help decide which ones will fit your needs best. Here is a brief summary of the differences you can expect with the most common two materials today...

Hypalon – tougher in feel, lower inflated pressure, heavier, more UV proof, costlier, loses some air over time.
PVC – Holds air better, easier to clean, benefits more from a cover if left in sun, lighter, easier to damage.

I bought a nice used dinghy and used outboard. Fiberglass Mercury RIB and 3.3 mercury 2 stroke. I'm in for $900 total, I did consider going cheap off brand, glad I didn't hearing other peoples luck.

Bought a west marine aluminum rib hypalon 10.2 dinghy. No issues. It’s just fine. 3 years old, with a 20 hp Tohatsu.

We have a 350 West Marine RIB with a 15 hp. Bought it barely used from the big boats owner. Leaked air. WTF. Turns out the valves needed to be tightened against the boat. It is fine. We keep it covered when not in use so it should last.

PVC inflatables are toys. Not serious tenders.

pete

PVC inflatables are toys. Not serious tenders.

pete

Like anything there are good and bad products available. I owned one of those black and yellow Zodiac brand PVC boats for over 10 years. It was our Daily use tender for three years and saw use from California to New Zealand. It was never covered, didn't have chaps on it, had a 10hp on it the entire time even though it was rated for 8hp.

It was holed on numerous occasions and repaired. It even sunk with the poor Yamaha attached to its transom and was hanging straight below the boat by its painter. It was not fun patching both chambers and cleaning out the Yamaha while anchored in a Polynesian Atoll with no services. Both the Yamaha and the PVC boat still lived on to give years of service.
I just restored a old RIB Hypalon Avon i found because I have another one that has given great service and Hypalon does last a long time, but in the PNW it does get moldy.

If someone is going to buy a welded seam PVC boat buy a good one and enjoy the years of service it will give.

Hollywood

Like anything there are good and bad products available. I owned one of those black and yellow Zodiac brand PVC boats for over 10 years. It was our Daily use tender for three years and saw use from California to New Zealand. It was never covered, didn't have chaps on it, had a 10hp on it the entire time even though it was rated for 8hp. ....
If someone is going to buy a welded seam PVC boat buy a good one and enjoy the years of service it will give.
Hollywood
Agree.The generalization in post 9 is wrong. You can get a good pvc dinghy yielding good service and good value for money by avoiding the obvious cheap nasty versions. A good indicator is the construction and thickness of the pvc used and the use of reinforcing rub layers underwater for the tubes and inflatable keel extremity. Also the diameter of the tubes is important, undersized tubes makes for poor handling.

Like anything there are good and bad products available. ... If someone is going to buy a welded seam PVC boat buy a good one and enjoy the years of service it will give.

Hollywood

Nailed it. Our Defender/Zodiac pvc dinghy served well for years. Dragged up on rocky beaches, zebra mussels, dragged home to winter storage and back every year. Had a few leaks but repairable, kind of to be expected. Repairs and mods and parts were easy enough. And still light enough to lift over the bow railing to carry on long runs so we didn't need to tow it. It definitely looked tired after seven years, but now that the "new" dinghy has no floor and is destined for a dumpster, the Zodiac will come back in service until we get a bigger replacement. I'll probably go with Defender again.

Like anything there are good and bad products available. I owned one of those black and yellow Zodiac brand PVC boats for over 10 years. It was our Daily use tender for three years and saw use from California to New Zealand. It was never covered, didn't have chaps on it, had a 10hp on it the entire time even though it was rated for 8hp.

It was holed on numerous occasions and repaired. It even sunk with the poor Yamaha attached to its transom and was hanging straight below the boat by its painter. It was not fun patching both chambers and cleaning out the Yamaha while anchored in a Polynesian Atoll with no services. Both the Yamaha and the PVC boat still lived on to give years of service.
I just restored a old RIB Hypalon Avon i found because I have another one that has given great service and Hypalon does last a long time, but in the PNW it does get moldy.

Hollywood

"Like anything there are good and bad products available"
Exactly - over the years we have owned over a dozen inflatables from 8' 3hp to 24' and 300 hp - get a good one and don't make the material the deciding factor.

I bought a nice used dinghy and used outboard. Fiberglass Mercury RIB and 3.3 mercury 2 stroke. I'm in for $900 total, I did consider going cheap off brand, glad I didn't hearing other peoples luck.

We sold our Mercury airdeck with a 3.3 mercury outboard with FNR in NY a number of years back - it was always a good boat and stayed in great shape.

Just like your primary boat fills different missions for different people, there is no right or wrong choice for everyone. In comparisons of similar types of dinghies, you likely will get what you pay for, but again depending on how you intend to use it, a less expensive choice could be the better one.

The OP was asking about cheap PVC dinks. I think the answer to his question is PVC may be workable, but stay away from the cheap ones. Best I can tell, going Hypalon (whatever) carries a 15%-20% premium, less if you include the entire dinghy system including outboard, mount/davit, etc.

Peter

Sometimes light weight is a primary goal over durability if you don't have a lift or davits and have to lift it over the side by hand. Some even manage with rowing dink. Again, depends on what you need it for.

West Marine: Fabric: 1100 Decitex PVC-coated polyester.

Last edited:
I still run my 1976 Avon. It has about 6 patches on the tubes. The floor currently needs some luv.

PVC inflatables are toys. Not serious tenders...

Just sold our 21 year old 11.5 foot Zodiac Yachtline (made in the Zodiac Hurricane factory in British Columbia, CA). The boat was made of PVC and never had a problem, looked almost new after cleaning it up. We did keep it protected with wax on the aluminum hull and 303 Aerospace Protectant on the PVC. The boat was always covered when not in use and never left in the water for more than a week. Sold for $2,600 and the buyer seemed happy.

The boat was a bit too long for our new trawler so I bought another Zodiac, 10 feet long. Going to take good care of this one too and see how it goes...21 years will probaby outlast me. ;)

Rick

Well trodden ground with lots of good advice here. My only two pennyworths to add are:
Count the number of inflation tubes (ie the number of inflation valves). Anything less than two is dangerous. Ideally you want three, one on each side and one at the bows. Plus the inflatable floor if applicable (Not counted in the above). In twenty years of nestling up in harbors, marinas and piers, we have had 'Deflation Events' in Espalmador (Spain), Aegean Greek Islands, Sardinia and Turkey - and last summer in the PNW when a grandson's friend & trainee rammed my RIB into my stern ladder. I have lost the bow tube on 2 occasions including the summer ramming. The usual damage though is when tied by the bow to a pier, the tide changes and/or someone moves your line and the side pods wind up finding a nail in the pier board. With a solid bottom to your RIB and three tubes we have been able to safely motor 'home' to the mothership on each occasion.
~A

Another issue can be overinflation due to heating of dinghy by sun or heat of the day with potential for tube rupture. My pvc inflatable has a release valve in one of the 3 chambers to release excess pressure . I think they just install one because easing one chamber allows the adjacent chambers to expand by pressing on the relieved one, at least I hope that`s why there is only one.

My Achilles Hypalon inflatable with inflatable floor was purchased in 1998 and is still in service for me. I love it. Yes there are some holes patched and a couple valves have been replaced. If it were to die, I'd buy another one. No doubt.

west marine dingy

I bought an aluminum rib a few years ago, 20% off from West Marine.

Had it one season and began to take on water when left in the water.
Pulled it out and on the trailer put some water in it and found a leak.
The warranty claim was one day over the one year warranty. They denied it.
Fixed the leak with clear flex seal.

I just received my Newport Baja in 4 boxes that I got on sale. Really good sale too, I paid $1045 - :)

Got a Johnson 15 HP 2 stroke to power it, should be pretty zippy!

It all depends on where you're taking it. Against our advice, friends bought an inflatable to take to the Bahamas. It doesn't take many landings in sand/coral, etc. to ruin a soft bottomed dinghy. They bought a hard bottom the next year.

I have owned both pvc and hypalon. If you cruise in waters where you can buy a replacement, then pvc is a good economical bet, unless you are in the tropics where the sun can deteriorate the pvc in a few seasons.. If you cruise where replacement is very difficult, then by all means buy hypalon. In addition to sun deterioration the weak spot in pvc is the glue holding the floor to the tubes.

Cruising mostly in the pacific north west I could get 10-14 years from a pvc boat (name brand) but had to be very careful with regard to covers and lifting over stones. Hypalon with care and 303 protectant should go on almost for ever.

If weight is no issue then get a hypalon RIB.

If you re cruising tropical areas, the cost of a good cover can be more than 50% as much as the boat.

WEST Marine prices are very high for what you get. Defender is the main importer of high quality inflatables, has excellent prices and stands behind the product.

Merry Christmas Woody! I'm PVC now. Quality is good and with care I expect a very long service life … minimal sun damage risk in the PNW. I recently sold a 35 year old Avon Redcrest and, while it was only lightly used, the Hypalon looked brand new. I believe Hypalon, or the new equivalent, is definitely superior. Whether or not it is worth the cost, I’m not sure. Of note, when cost is not a consideration, e.g. government spending our tax dollars, it’s always Hypalon. Either way, there is no more clear an example of you get what you pay for … don’t go cheap.

Regarding the initial request from information, does anyone have any information on specific West Marine RIB-310
Hypalon single fiberglass floor dingy?

Regarding the initial request from information, does anyone have any information on specific West Marine RIB-310
Hypalon single fiberglass floor dingy?

Had one for 6 years till I sold my boat...with minimal care and Florida sun for much of those years it held up fine and no issues.

Performance was OK with an 8hp Yammie, could'a used a 9.9 though.

Plus the sealant around the drain plug failed and got some water in the hull. Easily drained and recaulked.

Last edited:
Depends on your usage, and how diligent you are at maintenance. Keep it covered always when not using, occasionally use 303 protectant on it, and you’ll get many years use out of a reasonable quality PVC dinghy. Use it daily, in the salt and sun, always uncovered and unprotected, I give it 3 - 5 years max life depending on your climate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom