Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
FF
Guru

I believe these low pressure systems are very common in the US.

The low pressure systems under under sinks in homes would be unlikely to be found on a boat as they only clear clean (not salt ) water and use 18-20 gal to create 1 gal of drinking water.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
There is no contest. My response was a simple statement to show others that your sky is falling warning is nothing they need to concern themselves with.

The fact that you would post "...treat their water with sodium or calcium carbonate ..." shows you shouldn't be giving out water quality advice.

In the olden days before water chemistry was understood, they would add CaCO3 to precipitate CaSO3 but found out the hard way that the CaCO3 scale was just as bad once water temperature went above 200F - which is pretty much what a boiler does to water. Calcium carbonate scale is a huge problem with most water systems. Adding it to a system is akin to the middle age technique of bleeding to cure an ailment.

The fact is that water exponentially more pure than what frightened you and what you tried to frighten others, is commonly used in many applications without the plumbing disintegrating.

And since the apparent justification for your warning was in defense of ice machines ... that ultrapure water we made was used for drinking, cooking, washing clothes, and hold on ... supplying ice machines of all sizes and makes.

I never heard anyone complain or even comment about the taste, smell, or clarity of the ice they produced. The machines ran 24/7 for years and normally wore out from being opened and closed a thousand times a day. I have yet to see one dissolve.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
A good friend of mine has been making ice from RO water on his boat for many years. He's very happy with the quality of the ice and hasn't had any problems with the ice makers. He has two ice makers on the boat. One makes ice for drinks, the other makes ice flakes that are pumped through a hose to his fish box.

He doesn't have a second low pressure RO unit. I don't think they are very common in my area.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
No idea what the advertised lamp life is but have a 2" IPS 60 GPM model with 6 lamps equipped with a Hobbs meter. The last time I looked it had about 17,000 hours on it and no lamp failure yet.
To correct my earlier post the 2" unit has 37,000 hours. This unit is installed in single pass fashion and is the only "filtration"(for lack of a better word) in a poultry processing plant laboratory I maintain.

I selected and installed it several years ago after county health department water samples came back positive for bacteria. No failures since with sampling every 90 days.

2 weeks ago I took this unit out of service as we just brought in city water for this lab and no longer use the well.

Here are some pictures of the control unit and the business end with the cover off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2306601596.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	26144   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2350686367.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	26145   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1875364261.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	26146  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Here are some random snapshots of a reverse osmosis, UV purifier equipped deionized water system in our newest laboratory. The two 4' tall RO membranes (as are most of the maintenance points) are hidden behind the equipment. I stretched my arm to get a shot of the UV purifier. You will notice the extensive use of schedule 80 and PEX tubing. Not to be missed is the stainless steel piping coming into and out of the stainless steel purifier.

This system makes and stores deionized water for lab use. The tank is for storage and it is constantly circulated in a loop through the building. It passes through the UV filter prior to going to the building for use.

This is laboratory stuff and hardly applicable to Oliver but thought some might enjoy seeing it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3230744160.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	26147   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2848925615.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	26148   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-139558120.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	26149   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-660613651.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	26150   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-354639413.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	26151  

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #26
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
[QUOTE="CPseudonym;201376"]Here are some random snapshots of a reverse osmosis, UV purifier equipped deionized water system in our newest laboratory. The two 4' tall RO membranes (as are most of the maintenance points) are hidden behind the equipment. I stretched my arm to get a shot of the UV purifier. You will notice the extensive use of schedule 80 and PEX tubing. Not to be missed is the stainless steel piping coming into and out of the stainless steel purifier. This system makes and stores deionized water for lab use. The tank is for storage and it is constantly circulated in a loop through the building. It passes through the UV filter prior to going to the building for use. This is laboratory stuff and hardly applicable to Oliver but thought some might enjoy seeing it anyway.[/QUOTEIi don't care, I find this kind of stuff interesting.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote