Old 09-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
This is what was stated by Boatpoker

3 out of 10 boats with two shore power inlets have joined neutrals...

I'm not sure what that means....

Are the neutrals tied together at the shore power inlets ? (most likely 2 30 A inlets) or are they tied together at 2 random buss bars? Or are they tied together at the main panel?

Or are we talking they are tied to something other than a neutral buss bar?
They are often joined at the panel. This means if you turn off one service thinking you are working on dead conductors ... you are wrong and electrocution can result. Or if you have a short on one service, the other service can now be carrying up to 60amps instead of 30, this can melt things very quickly.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #42
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
They are often joined at the panel. This means if you turn off one service thinking you are working on dead conductors ... you are wrong and electrocution can result. Or if you have a short on one service, the other service can now be carrying up to 60amps instead of 30, this can melt things very quickly.
OK I see that now...and I finally caught it in the video...THANKS!!

Thinking it through and studying some wiring diagrams ...I see now they aren't tied together in the factory panels I have been looking at. (I thought I had seen where they were and it didn't register at first)

I guess it also wasn't fully registering because of using a 50A 125/250 splitter that was joining the neutrals in the splitter. I still have to think that one through and I'm guessing it has to do with the 2 -30 A services being "out of phase" or whatever they truly call it.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #43
FF
Guru

I guess it also wasn't fully registering because of using a 50A 125/250 splitter that was joining the neutrals in the splitter.

Joining the neutrals is fine , its joining the green ground line to the white neutral line that is a No No .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
FF...not according to ABYC. I think it's a stretch but I can see their 1000% safety rule.

A little more coffee and I'll start thinking about the "Y" cord again and why it's different or if it's not ABYC "OK".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #45

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
Whats missing in this thread?

The one thing missing in this thread is that all these "stupid PO tricks" were present WHEN YOU BOUGHT THE BOAT. This comes down to spending a little more money, spending a little more time and getting a competent survey and prehaps an additional electrical survey with an ABYC qualified marine electrician BEFORE you buy the boat.

Mind you, I didn't get the surveyor I wanted at the time so I went with the one that was available, and I didn't do an electrical survey till I had an electrician to do some upgrades AFTER I BOUGHT THE BOAT. So I had some "stupid PO issues I had to have sorted out.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My surveyor pointed out some of the wiring issues that needed to be sorted out over time, especially the wires-to-nowhere that I'm sure many 30+ year old boats have. The PO even told me that he was not very adept at electrical work.

I knew I'd have some issues when I bought the boat, but was willing to accept that at the agreed-upon purchase price. One non-functioning bilge pump and an inop nav light were the obvious problems and easily resolved. The bilge pump wiring was a sign of things to come with twisted wires in a wire nut under electrical tape. Others were hidden behind the fridge and in the middle of wire bundles that didn't surface until many years later. No doubt there are still a few surprises lurking in the deepest, darkest corners of my boat.

I've never heard of anyone getting a separate pre-purchase 'electrical survey'. Is that common in your area?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #47

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
pre purchase electrical survey

The pre purchase electrical survey was suggested by my electrician, after the fact, when he was surveying the work he was about to do when he upgraded the boat shortly after I purchased it. Pre purchase electrical surveys are pretty rare if never done. Mechanical surveys are more common.

A new AC panel was added and all the wiring from the alternator to the new batteries through to the new inverter was done. 7 years latter I have never had an electrical problem, although it is time for new golf carts. I hear Trojan 105's are the Trawler forum favourite.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote