Old 04-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Some boats have natural handholds all over the place. Specific grab bars while being added protection may often be added or placed in the wrong location by recreational boat manufacturers because they are placed more for looks than practicality.

After a time at sea or similar rough conditions, one often knows what and where hand holds are necessary....for that specific boat.

If lacking add, if not.... don't worry, be happy...

The funny thing is my boat appropriately has grab rails on the salon overhead. The salty people that I have on board use them when needed but not often as they naturally react to rock and roll. The "newbies" aboard...never think to look or grab "up" so the bars are often not used by the people falling all over the place.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #22
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

The funny thing is my boat appropriately has grab rails on the salon overhead. The salty people that I have on board use them when needed but not often as they naturally react to rock and roll. The "newbies" aboard...never think to look or grab "up" so the bars are often not used by the people falling all over the place. [/QUOTE]

We always use them to hang clothes on, maybe a smoked ham, braid of garlic or two.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
First I would put a ropes across the doors to keep people in side and help prevent some one accidentally falling thru the doors and over board. Then grap rails as they are always needed even if there are rails.

Rails might be more prone to accidents because of the narrow side decks. Might want to.rope them off to as side decks are not necessary and makes people stay inside the boat

My wife bought the Eagle because it had no side decks and the railing are high and solid. While under way nobody is allowed on the front deck and/or the roof.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Thanks for the great ideas and input. Will ponder a while and come to a decision;

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
After a time at sea or similar rough conditions, one often knows what and where hand holds are necessary....for that specific boat.

If lacking add, if not.... don't worry, be happy...
Our plan is to not make any major changes in the first year, so that 'improvements' will be made with actual experience to back them up.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Thanks for the great ideas and input. Will ponder a while and come to a decision;

Our plan is to not make any major changes in the first year, so that 'improvements' will be made with actual experience to back them up.
The first rule we learned in Lanscape Architecture is never put in footpaths right away...wait for a year till paths are worn into the grass...then pave where the grass is gone...

But I will admit someone falling overboard isn't the same as a few bades of dead grass...

Yet the concept is still the same...see how and when you mostly operate and where people naturally go and grab.

Me ....if I am truly teaching somebody to move around in rough seas...staying low is so important...most grab rails are out of reach anyway. The rest of the time a single, small wire is all that's needed to use as a balance point.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm a fan of having both rails and hand grabs.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm a fan of having both rails and hand grabs.

Dude, if there's ever a lengthy thread on toilets/heads I'm putting your prodigious photo posting on "ignore"
Old 04-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #28
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Dude, if there's ever a lengthy thread on toilets/heads I'm putting your prodigious photo posting on "ignore"
Don't give me any ideas!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #29
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"I wouldn't place side gates directly opposite the pilothouse doors. It would be too easy to go "oops.""

But it sure does help in bringing groceries aboard.

Perhaps just closing the gate on departure would stop the OOPS factor?
Wouldn't it be more convenient loading groceries through the gate near the rear of the saloon?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Wouldn't it be more convenient loading groceries through the gate near the rear of the saloon?
Yup.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: -
Personally I prefer railings AND grab rails. When it's roughish I like having a solid grab rail to hang onto. The railings are great to help maintain balance but they tend not to be as strong as a substantial grab rail. And when hand and grab rails are augmented by a full walkaround deck, then you've got something. We will never own a cruising boat without a full, one level walkaround deck. In this area, at least, it's the only configuration that makes sense to us. Yes, one can certainly get along without a walkaround deck, or with a full-width aft cabin that forces one higher up in the back of the boat. But our attitude is that since there are plenty off boat types with full, single level walkaround decks, why "learn to live" with something that doesn't have them?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3227592324.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	17817
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #32
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
...While under way nobody is allowed on the ... roof.
Ditto.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:

Nope. It actually isn't on our boat. Straight pass from the dock to a person in the pilothouse. No one has to board/alight or enter/exit cabin.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #34

City: WA
I would prefer grabrails. While I would like to think our handrails would keep us from falling overboard, they are positioned a bit low to make using them comfortable. Additionally, using the handrails causes me to lean away from the boat. With grabrails, I am leaning toward the boat. I like to think that if I were to loose my balance in rough water, leaning toward the boat might be better than leaning away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RKL_40811.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	17818  
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #35
Guru

If you guys wanna be safe in real sea...crawl on your hands and knees and use tethers...everything else is dangerous and just a whim of real safety.

If you think you are gonna grab a handrail, lifeline or grabrail 100% of the time when you need to....good luck...rescue guys love that attitude.

Sure...put them all over the place...but in the long run...it's all about sea sense and survival instincts.

At the dock or in millpond conditions...almost anything works fine except for those with bad balance....

Come to think of it...99 percent of the people I know that have gone in the water either went in from the dock or getting on or off a boat...so handrails and grabrails didn't help there either.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #36
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Ditto.

Mark, look! someone took a P off your boat.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Nope. It actually isn't on our boat. Straight pass from the dock to a person in the pilothouse. No one has to board/alight or enter/exit cabin.
That's what we do, too. Right from the dock cart to one of us in the main cabin doorway. Same thing when leaving the boat. Out the door to a person on the dock and into the cart.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
R, R, R, R, R
Old 04-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I know, I know. Actually, it was delivered that way. Worker wasn't fluent in English. ... It's a good conversation piece, so I've left it alone.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #40
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
As you come out of the pilothouse doors there is little to grab close to the entry. The nearest grab is a LOOOOONG way with one off balance somewhat having to duck out.

Sturdy grab rails of SS tubing and fittings will be better than the teak. Teak must be varnished and looked after a lot more than SS. Just get good SS including the fittings.

Don't be chintzy with the number of standoffs and go for the biggest diameter tubing. If you ever need the handholds you want enough strength and rigidity that it can take a heavy jerk and pull without bending.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote