Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #1

City: Full time cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Eagle
Vessel Model: Californian 50' Cockpit M/V
Air Conditioning Quandry

I currently have 3 Cruise Air split A/C units 2 12k units and 1 16k unit. V-birth, Saloon and Master. I have 2 separate water pumps and sea cocks that feed a manifold that goes to the 3 Condensing units, either pump can run all three units, and I only run one pump at a time. *I do my own A/C repair and have gauges, vacuum pumps, etc and keep a 30 pounder of R-22 in storage.

My v-birth unit* has a problem with the evaporator and the compressor has intermittently blown the breaker for a long time. I want to replace the entire unit. If I replace the condenser assy and evaporator assy with CruiseAir it will cost me about $2000. That means that I would have to reuse the wiring, copper tubing, thermostat controls etc.* Because of the location I can install an all in one unit like Mermaid or others just by pulling one of my water pumps off the manifold to feed the Mermaid unit. And install the unit where the existing evaporator unit is. I can install a Mermaid* unit for about $1200.

The issue is that the other 2 units will need to be replaced in the next year or 2 at the most. Because of their locations they do not lend themselves to an all in one unit. Hose runs for water being the problem, One unit is located under the flybridge seating (abolut 15 feet straight up) the second will require a hose run of about 25' to the unit. So*I am thinking that I would replace the Evaps and Condesers from CruiseAir for them.

I don't want to have to put more thru hulls and pumps in just for the A/C.
*I don't really want to maintain 2 different types of systems either.*

What is the thinking of the group. Stay with CruiseAir and split systems a combination of split and combined systems or replace all with combined systems. Or??
Jim Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #2

RE: Air Conditioning Quandry

I am leaning toward the Mini Split Ductless Units when time come for replacements.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Air Conditioning Quandry

"What is the thinking of the group. Stay with CruiseAir and split systems a combination of split and combined systems or replace all with combined systems. Or??"

I would opt for new screens on all hatches & doors...3 new bathing suits and 3 cotton T shirts and maybe a pair of Flip-Flops. After adding a couple of 12V fans, I would then disconnect the A/C's and enjoy the Florida weather!* <grin>

-- Edited by SeaHorse II at 23:06, 2009-02-08
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #4

El Sea, Can you give me more information on the units you are talking about? Web site?
Sea Horse, I would love to find some screens that would fit my old Bomar Ports. The side windows I could easily have screens made and snapped on!! The problem here in Florida is that once your naked and still hot you are out of options except for air conditioning!!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Well said! I was just kidding as here in San Diego, A/C is really not needed. A lot of guys have it though!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I opted to go with cheap old regular dirt air conditioning rather the marine, mainly because I do not like the raw water running though the boat/units, high cost and/or maintenance. three 8,000 btu units for about 500 bucks.**I made some teak wood encloseres that are butted up against port hole widows that blend with the teak interior.**

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #7

Hi Bill thanks for the input. The compressor has a cold start problem with the start windings. After it warms up it will continue to run for days with no problem. The evaporator has a leak and the whole bottom portion of the evaporator is rotted out. (25 year old units)

I wish I could find blower replacements without having to go back to Cruise air for the other 2 units. CA wants a ridiculuous amount for the assembly. If I could find replacements for them I could prob get several more years out of the other units.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Jim,Any chance of swapping into 2 -16,000 btu units and evaluating the installation/ placement of vents, curves in ductwork, tinting side windows, door seals, and possible insulation of some areas. This may be more than 2 units can cool at 50', but it may be possible. With minor tweaks I have been able to go from slightly uncomfortable during mid summer to more than able to keep the old girl nice and cool with the 2 existing units.
Steve
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Hard to retro fit but the Carrier , Dometic and others making a chilled water setup are to me the way to go.

The only fluid circulating to each cabin is anti-freez , so an errant drilled hole looses onlt a fluid easily fixed.

The compressors are ganged and only as many , 1 ,2, 3 (big boat!) will operate at a time.

Should a unit die it is easily removed and returned to a pro service place.

The remover only deals with disconnecting a water hose, and unplugging.

No amateur or on board freon servicing.

After I win the lottery....

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote