Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Nigel Caulder better look out should you ever start a book, (on Yachtwright stuff, not OTDE). Again you are dead on.

Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #42
Guru

City: Essex, Ct
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
A small diesel engine converts about 1/3 of the fuel energy into horsepower and a generator converts about 80% of that horsepower into KWs. Another 1/3 goes out with the exhaust and the other 1/3 goes into the cooling system whether it is air or water.

So a 5 KW generator will dump about 6 KW of energy into the air cooling system. That is like having four electric space heaters running full blast into your bilge. It will take a huge air flow to vent all of that heat.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #43
FF
Guru

"So a 5 KW generator will dump about 6 KW of energy into the air cooling system. That is like having four electric space heaters running full blast into your bilge. It will take a huge air flow to vent all of that heat."

A 4 to 6 inch inch pipe will handle the air cooling , why would it matter to you the volume of air being exhausted if its near SILENT?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #44
Guru

City: Essex, Ct
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Yes Fred, and by my calculations it takes 1,000 cfm at a 20 deg temp rise or 500 cfm at a 40 deg temp rise to move all of that heat and keep your engine room below the recommended 120F max.

Most marine engine room blowers are limited to 250 cfm, so it will take an industrial type 120V squirrel cage blower with a 6" duct blasting out. That is not something that I want on my boat.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #45
FF
Guru

"Most marine engine room blowers are limited to 250 cfm"

Boat store toys are always price limited, to get a blower the marine sources must be checked.

With the noisemaker operating power is no problem.

Delta T Systems Engineered Marine Engine Room Ventilation

www.deltatsystems.com/

Delta T Systems has pioneered the field of engineered marine engine room ventilation. Originally established in 1992, the company was born out of a critical ...‎Products - ‎Our Business - ‎My Engine Room

Delta "T" System Ventilation Products - Delta "T" Systems

www.deltatsystems.com/dtsp-deltat_products.aspx

The Delta "T" Systems product line has been developed over many years and ...
Old 02-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #46

City: Bahamas (for now)
Vessel Name: Reef Romper
Vessel Model: 1986 Mako 21b
I have been reading these and enjoying everyone's sugesstions. I like djmarchand have the same idea in boat purchase. I live in our south Florida and conceduring selling my house to buy a nice liveabourd. My question is what are the docking fees on average in the weSt Palm area
grwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #47

City: Cumberland
the new boat

What type of boat due you have now? I am in the process of purchasing a 34 mainship trawler and have heard a lot of good repots on them What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Island Run
Island Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #48
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by grwheat View Post
I have been reading these and enjoying everyone's sugesstions. I like djmarchand have the same idea in boat purchase. I live in our south Florida and conceduring selling my house to buy a nice liveabourd. My question is what are the docking fees on average in the weSt Palm area
The 50' boat I just picked up in the West Palm area was paying a bit over $900 a month in dockage. Or so I was told by the former owner.
Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The 50' boat I just picked up in the West Palm area was paying a bit over $900 a month in dockage. Or so I was told by the former owner.
$17-20 per foot is the general range. Plus $35-50 for electric. Plus liveaboard upcharge.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #50

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
If you get tired of living on the hook, several slips are for sale here at harbor cay club.org in marathon. We have several owners that come for the winter and then put the boat on the hard for the summer, then come back the next year. Living aboard in the keys is great,as we can cruise the keys,west coast of fla.,stage for the Bahamas.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #51

City: Bahamas (for now)
Vessel Name: Reef Romper
Vessel Model: 1986 Mako 21b
Right I am the owner of a 21 foot 1986 mako, the tender of the boat I am looking for. I now belive that a 36 foot marine trader is a boat I can afford. I am a retired single guy tring how to use my house to buy a boat. So one thing I wanted to know is I manage to buy the boat where do I put it and at what cost..
grwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #52

In our experience, a sundeck configuration is essential for a live aboard. We live aboard an OA 44 for three+ months on Great Lakes. Check out the 39-46 hulls.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #53
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
If you get tired of living on the hook, several slips are for sale here at harbor cay club.org in marathon.
12 out of the 24 of the slips are for sale. What the heck is everyone running from and why can't they get away?

Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #54
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
12 out of the 24 of the slips are for sale. What the heck is everyone running from and why can't they get away?
The owners could have passed or gotten too old to boat anymore. A lot of FL property is for sale by estates. People move here to retire and die. The heirs have other visions in other places.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 AM   #55
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckape View Post
If you get tired of living on the hook, several slips are for sale here at harbor cay club.org in marathon. We have several owners that come for the winter and then put the boat on the hard for the summer, then come back the next year. Living aboard in the keys is great,as we can cruise the keys,west coast of fla.,stage for the Bahamas.

Checked out the map and a video of Harbour Cay Club. Looks pretty unprotected from a lot of fetch from the north unless you are inside that little breakwater. Or am I looking at it wrong?

Looks like an interesting spot though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462981006.290154.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	51836
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #56

Yes several slips are for sale. Most of the owners have lived aboard for years and now want something on shore near the grandkids or just could not physically do it anymore. Some were bought at the,( buy something it the keys) time of the real estate boom here in the keys years ago. Plans change and people get old. We are a co-op so we all own a 1/24 of the property but have the right to what slip we purchased. Prices very as they are what the owner thinks it's worth. Some are willing to come down. Yes we are on the gulf side ,between the fanny keys so we are subject to winds from the western quadrant on the compass. Mainly in the winter as the fronts come thru. I'm in slip #23 and it does get rough but only for 24 hours or less as the winds go from sw to n.e. In the summer the winds are mostly s.e. and we have a great breeze at the boat. In side you don't have the breeze because of the land mast, trees etc. Anyone cruising thru this part of Paradise call or stop by. I would be glad to show you our piece of Paradise.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #57

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
The owners could have passed or gotten too old to boat anymore. A lot of FL property is for sale by estates. People move here to retire and die. The heirs have other visions in other places.
This is kinda what we DON'T want to do... When we finally get off the hard, it'll be to roam for quite awhile. If we lived up north, and were looking for a place in warmer climates to "park" and do the snowbird thing, Ok, I get it...

But we're not looking for that. We're here, in Fl, and when we DO make it onto our trawler, it'll be to explore and enjoy

I don't want to tie $150k of my funds up in an asset that 1) ties me to a specific spot, and 2) will vary in value dramatically over time.

But that's just us

J&L
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #58

Yes we all want to cruise to areas that we have dreamed about. The Bahamas,west coast ,east coast of Florida and north. Yes that was the dream. After cruising the Bahamas,and Florida's inland and coastal water ways while working , with a trailer able cruiser,we wanted to live here in the keys when we retired. We are now living that dream! Been there ,done that and now live here on the boat in marathon and liking it alot. Many guests have said they would love to buy ,but still want to cruise too. Some have made harbour cay club their cruise destination after years of going to the Bahamas and stay all winter before going back to new England,west coast or were they store the boat. Many older members wanted to stay put after years of living on the hook,or cruising,and this was the place. After you do your cruising and want to live aboard,look into our piece of paradise in the keys. You will still have access to the cruises you still might want to do.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #59
FF
Guru

Pilots used to say if it Flies , Floats , or F,,, its better to rent it than to buy it.

With a liveaboard boat or RV the joy of easily changing your location is one of huge benefits.

For some , a fantastic option that offers (to me) the best lifestyle is a rented mooring at a OK marina.

It does require a boat outfitted for cruising and a bit more work, once a week ( or two) hit the dock to dump waste and fill the water tank.

The boat is able to swing with freedom so the requirement to seal the boat and refrigerate the interior is mostly gone , esp in a FL winter.

Mail , dink landing,garbage and legal parking is at the marina , and the cost for piece and quiet is 1/5 to 1/10 what a slip costs.

IF the boat can do it , so can most folks.

Learn to row!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #60

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Haven't heard the three F rule in a good while! Of course, I've always had difficulty abiding by its wisdom.

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote