53 Hattaras Extended Deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonkronz

Does anyone have experience with this boat? My wife and I are contemplating purchasing one as a full time live aboard and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome aboard. We looked at a 58LRC but my wife didn’t like it, poorly maintained. Does the 53 have all the different voltages on it? The 58 had 12, 24 and 32 volts on it. Some equipment that runs on the unusual voltages may be difficult to source. But Hatteras built tanks and if maintained they hold up well. Good luck.

Hatteras 53’s are good boats. Due to the age of them you will want both a boat survey and a mechanical survey.

Your real concern will be liveaboard moorage. If you don’t have this lined up, don’t buy the boat. More than one liveaboard want a be has had their dreams crushed when they discovered there was no liveaboard moorage available.

Are you a boater? Have you ever slept on a boat? Not everyone can sleep in
A moving bed.

Always loved the looks and layout of the Hatteras 53! Somewhat of a "timeless" look, in my opinion.

Make sure you can get insured as a live aboard too—before purchasing.

I worked at a Hatteras dealer (not sales) and on the boats as crew when the 53 was common and newer. Hatteras was very high quality during that era, for example using a piano hinge instead of three smaller ones on a door, or using two struts instead of one on the shafts.

One thing you have probably considered are the Detroit Diesels. Much like having a slip, have a plan for Detroit Diesels. I read elsewhere that parts remain available; however, technicians are declining in number. Our most excellent diesel repair facility does not work on them, either. I am sure the Detroits can be kept running dependably for another 40 years, just be sure to have a plan for parts and a good wrench for when the time comes - or become the wrench yourself. This may become a bigger issue as time progresses, potentially impacting resale.

That said, I would very much enjoy owning a cherry 53ED with 8-71s! Better yet, a cherry LRC…

Good Luck

thanks for the feedback

Thanks to everyone for their kind responses. They are informative and much appreciated.

Owned a 53 MY for the last 5 years and liveaboard for most of the time. Amazingly well built ship. She's a big old girl with timeless lines and a great ride. The Detroit 8-71ti's are like music to us and no problem at all getting repaired IF needed. Keep the fuel clean and the oil filled and you'll have no problems. The accommodations are fantastic with 3 BR and 3 heads. Just make sure to get into the 80's to get the island Queen bed. A full galley with real stove, DW, and full size home fridge are unavailable on most of todays modern boats. The 32V and 12 volt combo is nothing once you get onto it and a step down transformer will solve any issues that arise in that area. Just make sure you can get her insured in today's market. Try to find a freshwater boat and then enjoy taking her where you want to end up.

We are almost 7 full years of living aboard our 1975 53

Nothing finer, would swap it for anything.

Go to www.weliveonthesea.com

Sitting enjoying the sunset on our way from tampa to Maine.

Most amazing boats out there

Sorry no time for details, cocktails are calling

I worked at a Hatteras dealer (not sales) and on the boats as crew when the 53 was common and newer. Hatteras was very high quality during that era, for example using a piano hinge instead of three smaller ones on a door, or using two struts instead of one on the shafts.

One thing you have probably considered are the Detroit Diesels. Much like having a slip, have a plan for Detroit Diesels. I read elsewhere that parts remain available; however, technicians are declining in number. Our most excellent diesel repair facility does not work on them, either. I am sure the Detroits can be kept running dependably for another 40 years, just be sure to have a plan for parts and a good wrench for when the time comes - or become the wrench yourself. This may become a bigger issue as time progresses, potentially impacting resale.

That said, I would very much enjoy owning a cherry 53ED with 8-71s! Better yet, a cherry LRC…

Good Luck

I have almost the same story; I starting my boating career working for a Hatteras dealer in the early 80's. I picked up many a Hatteras Yacht from New Bern, NA and quickly learned to appreciate the quality yacht Hatteras truly was. The 53 was always one of my favorites and doesn't look dated 50 years later!

A friend lives on his 53 in Boston. I think it has 8v53’s in it. Solid, reliable boat. Another friend has 8v71’s in his boat (not a Hatt) and he has learned to do maintenance and even rebuilds himself. He puts a lot of hours on it so rebuilds happen every few years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom