Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #1

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Washington to Mexico Caravan

Greetings,

In early 2018 I am moving my trawler from Bellingham, Washington to Ensenada, Mexico. I am hoping to do this no later than May. I would like to find some interested boat owners to participate. I figure a caravan would be a fun and safe way to do it. I am hiring an experienced captain who has made the run year round many times. You could meet up with us at Bellingham or any point on the way and jump off at any point. Cruise with us for a day or all the way. Whether I get responses or not my boat is going to Mexico early next year. If interested respond to this post or call Dave at 650-575-7441, or david@coopertestinglabs.com.

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
What a great idea. That can be a daunting trip, and doing it in the company of other boats, especially one with experience along the route, will likely make it much easier and less stressful.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Dirtdoc
Have you checked out Raven Offshore? Victoria to Ensenada is a normal shipping route. They also do delivery to La Paz. Does your new vessel have AC?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Depending on work, etc. I can join you for the last leg. Keep us posted with the timing and expected departure dates from the ports. Good luck with your trip and new boat. Sounds like a fun adventure.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Have you asked your delivery captain about this? Could add complications...
Old 12-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
Greetings,

In early 2018 I am moving my trawler from Bellingham, Washington to Ensenada, Mexico. I am hoping to do this no later than May. I would like to find some interested boat owners to participate. I figure a caravan would be a fun and safe way to do it. I am hiring an experienced captain who has made the run year round many times. You could meet up with us at Bellingham or any point on the way and jump off at any point. Cruise with us for a day or all the way. Whether I get responses or not my boat is going to Mexico early next year. If interested respond to this post or call Dave at 650-575-7441, or david@coopertestinglabs.com.

Cheers!
Are you doing this like a pleasure trip or a delivery trip? How long are you taking? I think that would make a huge difference in those who might join you at various times along the way. A lot could happen by luck much as the Portland to Alaska events this summer where many TF'ers ended up connecting at different times.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Greetings,

Cheers!
Dave,

I suspect that by utilizing a Charter Captain this will be more of a delivery than a cruise. You normally pay for the time it takes to make the trip, weather delays and stopovers can rack up days real quick, hence, more money.
We plan to make the journey in 19 and getting down the coast before entering Mexico in a few months, is our goal as we most likely wont come back up the coast. The goal is to enjoy the trip down and take the time needed to enjoy the coastline communities.
Once in Mexico, we will gradually work our way farther south to the “Big Canal”, that may take a year or two.
Wish you the best on a safe and enjoyable trip, please keep us all updated as the trip progress’s.

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Dave,

I suspect that by utilizing a Charter Captain this will be more of a delivery than a cruise. You normally pay for the time it takes to make the trip, weather delays and stopovers can rack up days real quick, hence, more money.
We plan to make the journey in 19 and getting down the coast before entering Mexico in a few months, is our goal as we most likely wont come back up the coast. The goal is to enjoy the trip down and take the time needed to enjoy the coastline communities.
Once in Mexico, we will gradually work our way farther south to the “Big Canal”, that may take a year or two.
Wish you the best on a safe and enjoyable trip, please keep us all updated as the trip progress’s.

Cheers
From the time we left Washington the final time until we reached Ensenada was 104 days.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Have you asked your delivery captain about this? Could add complications...
Hi All,

I have briefly discussed it with the captain and he is OK with the caravan idea. He's a retired navy submarine chief warrant officer who has extensive experience running yachts up and down the coast. I need to discuss in more detail with him so all of your questions are going to be very helpful and most-likely have an impact on how we do this. My boat only has a range of 650 nm @ 8 knt and about 1000 nm @ 7 knt, so I will need to pull in for gas several times. I had planned on running 24/7 with a couple of 1-2 day lay overs. My thoughts about possible places for a 1-2 day break are: San Francisco, Santa Cruise, Monterey, Santa Barbara and La Jolla or San Diego. Of course anyone can stop and stay where ever they want to. I'm just trying to give you an idea of the structure of my trip. Those of you who would like to stay close to us and follow our itinerary are more than welcome. During a layover it would be fun to get together for a BBQ. I might even spring for a dinner at a restaurant for everyone. Did I really say that?

What happens if someone breaks down? The closest boat or closest boat with a mechanic (or someone knowledgeable about engines) responds. If the problem cannot be fixed a boat waits with them until Vessel Assist gets there. I think everyone knows that it's important that a boat stays with a disabled boat to help keep them from drifting to shore and on the rocks. Everyone that comes along has to agree to that. That's the reason I'm doing this caravan. But, it wouldn't make sense for everyone to stop. They could catch up while we are on one of the layovers.

So after talking with the captain I guess May is the month. Jan - Apr the weather is too nasty.

This is a trip of a lifetime for me so if the captain is willing to charge less for layovers I may opt for more stops and turn this in to a several week cruise.

The more questions you throw my way the better thought out this will be. I'll keep you up to date when I get more details nailed down. Thank you for your response!

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
San Francisco is out of the way. We went straight past it outside the Fallerons to Monterrey. If you have some experience, I would forgo the paid captain. You will get weathered in at some point and will be paying for lay days. If possible there a lot of neat stops along the way. We really liked Monterrey. Had to leave the boat in Eureka due to 60+ knot winds for about a week. Due to schedule we ended up leaving it for a month before resuming the trip.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 PM   #11

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
Be sure to stop in Avalon on Santa Catalina island after your stop in Santa Barbara! You will find this to be one of the best stops you make👍
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
San Francisco is out of the way. We went straight past it outside the Fallerons to Monterrey. If you have some experience, I would forgo the paid captain. You will get weathered in at some point and will be paying for lay days. If possible there a lot of neat stops along the way. We really liked Monterrey. Had to leave the boat in Eureka due to 60+ knot winds for about a week. Due to schedule we ended up leaving it for a month before resuming the trip.
Comodave

I have about 40 years of experience on the San Francisco bay and delta. I know every sand bar from Palo Alto up to Sacramento and over to Stockton. But I have very little experience on the ocean and I'm not familiar with the various marinas and which ones have fuel etc. Fortunately I've got a captain that is retired and does this for fun so I think he will be reasonable.

If the weather gets to bad for an extended period of time I'll send the captain home and wait it out.

I'm retiring at the end of this year and just sold my Carver and bought a trawler. It's presently being commissioned in Bellingham. I expect that this trip will be expensive but after we've made it to Ensenada I expect to feel pretty comfortable with the boat and the coast.

The Farallon's are pretty far out. It might be a good idea to skip San Francisco. Thanks for the info.

Cheers!
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Be sure to stop in Avalon on Santa Catalina island after your stop in Santa Barbara! You will find this to be one of the best stops you make��
Hey Taras,

That's what I've heard. Definitely will consider doing that.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:

This is a trip of a lifetime for me so if the captain is willing to charge less for layovers I may opt for more stops and turn this in to a several week cruise.

The more questions you throw my way the better thought out this will be. I'll keep you up to date when I get more details nailed down. Thank you for your response!

Cheers!
Wifey B: How can it be the trip of a lifetime if you don't see anything?

It can be a trip of a lifetime, but you're just passing outside by so much. I can't imagine spending fewer than 30 days stopped and that doesn't even allow the Columbia River and areas like that.

I see your issue though with a captain. It's just such a wonderful trip. Will you do it again one day with lots of time? If not, pay up and enjoy this time. (Yes, easy for me to spend your money).

And running the trip 24/7, that's a business trip all the way, not a recreational one.

We fully intend to return to the area one day, but we just couldn't live with being there and not taking advantage. Otherwise we would have shipped the boat from Washington to Florida. We love running offshore but we like stopping and seeing things too. I can't say stopping to smell the roses as it will make hubby sneeze with his allergies.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Dirt doc

Have you cruised the stretches from Bellingham to Glacier Bay? Why the rush to head south leaving the great PNW cruising waters behind?

Since you've not been on the ocean, for most of us the PNW is where it's at, saving the dreary slog south for another time. As BB says, there are indeed some spots to look at as you drift south, the Columbia River area for one. No boat tax in OR so a great place to winter.

We live in AZ our boat is in British Columbia. Why do we not boat in Mexico and SoCal? Been there, done that. And the SoCal boat taxes - yikes! Chose the PNW instead. Try it, you may like it. And at the end of the summer you'll know more about your vessel than any delivery captain ever could.

BTW, when a kid I used to boat out of the Palo Alto Yacht Club. Yes, there really was a harbor there.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:23 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Dirt doc

Have you cruised the stretches from Bellingham to Glacier Bay? Why the rush to head south leaving the great PNW cruising waters behind?

Since you've not been on the ocean, for most of us the PNW is where it's at, saving the dreary slog south for another time. As BB says, there are indeed some spots to look at as you drift south, the Columbia River area for one. No boat tax in OR so a great place to winter.

We live in AZ our boat is in British Columbia. Why do we not boat in Mexico and SoCal? Been there, done that. And the SoCal boat taxes - yikes! Chose the PNW instead. Try it, you may like it. And at the end of the summer you'll know more about your vessel than any delivery captain ever could.

BTW, when a kid I used to boat out of the Palo Alto Yacht Club. Yes, there really was a harbor there.
Not knowing his situation, a good point. If retired and time, I'd definitely use the boat a summer for Alaska, BC and all the islands in Washington before heading south. We just weren't going to be that close and not cruise it some. We first cruised in Washington on April 28, enjoyed the state, went to Alaska, still need far more time there, and left the state of Washington the last time on September 30. In some ways our adventures were much like those of TF members this summer.

Yes, we hope to make it back, but we were right there, right then, and wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. Spring and Summer in Washington, BC and Alaska. San Francisco is not much colder in October than any other month. Fall, and even winter, are fine for Southern California, then south to Ensenada.

We'd never spent time in these areas, not even on land. We found out too the huge advantages of sight seeing, especially in LA, on weekdays after school had started back.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Not knowing his situation, a good point. If retired and time, I'd definitely use the boat a summer for Alaska, BC and all the islands in Washington before heading south. We just weren't going to be that close and not cruise it some. We first cruised in Washington on April 28, enjoyed the state, went to Alaska, still need far more time there, and left the state of Washington the last time on September 30. In some ways our adventures were much like those of TF members this summer.

Yes, we hope to make it back, but we were right there, right then, and wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. Spring and Summer in Washington, BC and Alaska. San Francisco is not much colder in October than any other month. Fall, and even winter, are fine for Southern California, then south to Ensenada.

We'd never spent time in these areas, not even on land. We found out too the huge advantages of sight seeing, especially in LA, on weekdays after school had started back.
Brand et al,

A lot of people have been telling me to stick around and cruise the PNW. There is no better cruising, they say. I've been told that when out-of-area people buy a boat in Washington 2 out of 3 never leave. I'm the one that leaves. It was fine when it was T-shirt weather but on the last day of my trip there, it turned cold and snowed. I got the hell out of Washington and haven't looked back. No thank you! That said - originally I was going to leave earlier in the year, Now it's going to be May. I had planned on coming back up during the summer and cruise the area. Now when I get to Ensenada I'll have to turn around in a couple of months and come right back. So what? That's what I bought the boat for. To you experienced ocean cruisers it's a slog. I've never done it before. For me the thought of relaxing and trolling on the ocean sounds great. If the weather is nice. So let me get my experience out on the ocean. Let me get to the point where I think it's a slog too. You got yours.

The captain is very relaxed about charging (or not) for layovers so I'm going to slow the trip way down and make a lot of stops to see the coastal towns.

Thanks for your comments. Strong opinions don't bother me. As long as strong opinionated answers don't bother you everything is groovy. Yes I said groovy.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Brand et al,

A lot of people have been telling me to stick around and cruise the PNW. There is no better cruising, they say. I've been told that when out-of-area people buy a boat in Washington 2 out of 3 never leave. I'm the one that leaves. It was fine when it was T-shirt weather but on the last day of my trip there, it turned cold and snowed. I got the hell out of Washington and haven't looked back. No thank you! That said - originally I was going to leave earlier in the year, Now it's going to be May. I had planned on coming back up during the summer and cruise the area. Now when I get to Ensenada I'll have to turn around in a couple of months and come right back. So what? That's what I bought the boat for. To you experienced ocean cruisers it's a slog. I've never done it before. For me the thought of relaxing and trolling on the ocean sounds great. If the weather is nice. So let me get my experience out on the ocean. Let me get to the point where I think it's a slog too. You got yours.

The captain is very relaxed about charging (or not) for layovers so I'm going to slow the trip way down and make a lot of stops to see the coastal towns.

Thanks for your comments. Strong opinions don't bother me. As long as strong opinionated answers don't bother you everything is groovy. Yes I said groovy.
Well, you were heading down to escape the cold when you expected to leave earlier. No thought about waiting enjoying the summer in the PNW since you can't leave until May? I definitely understand running from the cold.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, you were heading down to escape the cold when you expected to leave earlier. No thought about waiting enjoying the summer in the PNW since you can't leave until May? I definitely understand running from the cold.
When does it start to warm up around the PNW?
Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
When does it start to warm up around the PNW?
Well, less cold, especially in BC and Alaska. Never gets warm. Actually we found May to be nice and headed to Alaska mid June and had a very nice time there.