Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #41
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
In AUSTRALIA people are paid what their services are worth and there is no tipping

What is typical pay (salary or wages) there for restaurant wait staff?

-Chris
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #42
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What is typical pay (salary or wages) there for restaurant wait staff?

-Chris

I believe it is $18+ per hour if memory serves me well.

FWIW - Up here in the NY area t is very customary to tip dockhands and folks at marinas. Similar to Ban B we tip extra when in doubt.
FWIW - you will likely get good service at docks if you are reasonably nice and do not tip, if you are reasonably nice and tip even better.
Then there are the few that are not reasonable, not nice, and do not tip - and then they wonder why they get a certain behavior back , a specific slip and other such responses. You would be surprised at how 'well' the reputation of some of these boats are known.
__________________

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #43
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 17,927
Tipping is great , icing on the cake!

As a kid I parked cars at a posh country club , could drive the hell out of MG , MB , Corvettes even RR for over an hour , and they handed cash for scrubbing half the tread off the tires!!

Only in America!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 944
5 dollars a person no matter what they are doing. (I do my own pump outs)
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #45
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Only in America!
Keep it there then and stop trying to introduce it to other countries.

I hate being hassled for "extra" in countries that had no tipping culture and until very recently, would follow me out of restaurants to return loose coin.
Now you get followed out of a restaurant because we haven't left a large tip.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #46
Guru
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Keep it there then and stop trying to introduce it to other countries.

I hate being hassled for "extra" in countries that had no tipping culture and until very recently, would follow me out of restaurants to return loose coin.
Now you get followed out of a restaurant because we haven't left a large tip.
I thought we were talking about dock hands?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #47
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Tipping is great , icing on the cake!

As a kid I parked cars at a posh country club , could drive the hell out of MG , MB , Corvettes even RR for over an hour , and they handed cash for scrubbing half the tread off the tires!!

Only in America!
I have always taken care of other peoples property better than if it were my own.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #48
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,959
Americans are generally known as generous/excessive tippers, particularly outside the States.

...

With ever-increasing, government-dictated minimum-wages in the USA, perhaps we need to re-examine our tipping habits. (Have noticed restaurant prices are increasing several times faster than general inflation.) It's common that restaurants show the amounts of possible tips based on 15, 18, and 20 percent of the bill, which includes up to nearly 10-percent sales tax.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #49
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Americans are generally known as generous/excessive tippers, particularly outside the States.

...

With ever-increasing, government-dictated minimum-wages in the USA, perhaps we need to re-examine our tipping habits. (Have noticed restaurant prices are increasing several times faster than general inflation.) It's common that restaurants show the amounts of possible tips based on 15, 18, and 20 percent of the bill, which includes up to nearly 10-percent sales tax.
Most restaurants I'm familiar with including those where you pay on a tablet calculate based on the total before sales tax. Just because they list it below the sales tax inclusive number doesn't mean it's calculated that way. Sometimes have to look carefully.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #50
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,959
Was surprised to see the bill from a local Asian-cuisine restaurant with multiple tip-calculations based as low as ten percent. ... Thinking of revising my tipping practice to equal the local sales tax, rounded up to the nearest dollar since restaurant prices are increasing ten to thirty times faster than my pension increases.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #51
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Was surprised to see the bill from a local Asian-cuisine restaurant with multiple tip-calculations based as low as ten percent. ... Thinking of revising my tipping practice to equal the local sales tax, rounded up to the nearest dollar since restaurant prices are increasing ten to thirty times faster than my pension increases.
So you'll penalize the waiter or waitress? I can't speak to the restaurant prices vs your pension as I don't know the prices in your area or anything about your pension.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Acheron2010's Avatar
 
City: New Tazewell
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 152
Must be an east coast thing. In the west, we just do it because we are neighborly. You then pay it forward by helping out the next person.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #53
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Was surprised to see the bill from a local Asian-cuisine restaurant with multiple tip-calculations based as low as ten percent. ... Thinking of revising my tipping practice to equal the local sales tax, rounded up to the nearest dollar since restaurant prices are increasing ten to thirty times faster than my pension increases.

In restaurants, I have generally doubled the sales tax and rounded up. However, as the sales tax has increased, I am beginning to modify that a bit.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #54
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So you'll penalize the waiter or waitress? I can't speak to the restaurant prices vs your pension as I don't know the prices in your area or anything about your pension.
No. How am I penalizing the servicer when not fully participating in increasing their compensation many times faster (ten to thirty times) more than mine (which is supposedly based on government-calculated consumers' rise in cost of living)? The list prices also include paying for their faster-rising basic wages.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #55
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In restaurants, I have generally doubled the sales tax and rounded up. However, as the sales tax has increased, I am beginning to modify that a bit.
Sales-tax rates vary widely, from nothing to about ten percent!
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #56
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No. How am I penalizing the servicer when not fully participating in increasing their compensation many times faster (ten to thirty times) more than mine (which is supposedly based on government-calculated consumers' rise in cost of living)? The list prices also include paying for their faster-rising basic wages.
California is a unique situation and that is where you are. It's one of the very few states that requires paying waiters and waitresses minimum wage. California, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Alaska do so. In some other states there are numbers in between. For instance, Florida requires a minimum of $5.08 per hour. In 17 states, it's $2.13 an hour.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #57
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
California is a unique situation and that is where you are. It's one of the very few states that requires paying waiters and waitresses minimum wage. California, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Alaska do so. In some other states there are numbers in between. For instance, Florida requires a minimum of $5.08 per hour. In 17 states, it's $2.13 an hour.
Mark's point is that the compensation that the employees have been receiving has, in some locations, gone up dramatically. WA just increased its minimum wage this last year and will continue increase yearly for a while. This increase in wage has resulted in increased menu prices.

If tipping food service workers is to compensate for artificially low wages as well as reward them for good service, there is a good argument for lowering a tip percentage in these circumstances.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #58
Veteran Member
 
City: FIRST WORLD
Country: where democracy needs no guns
Vessel Name: MYOB, NOSEY
Vessel Model: TS39
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Tipping should be reserved for 3rd world country's
Mostly these days that is indeed already the case.

BTW how many tip the policeman that gives a traffic ticket?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #59
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
What is typical pay (salary or wages) there for restaurant wait staff?

-Chris
Can`t give a $ figure, but it`s a proper wage rate,either determined by negotiation or a wage fixing tribunal, not one that requires customer tipping to make it a reasonable amount. Plus there are loadings for weekends/public holidays, etc. 4 weeks annual holidays too.
Anyone working as a casual(not permanent)employee gets an extra 25% loading, to compensate for no holidays, sick pay, etc.
There are significant penalties for underpaying employees, eg the 7-11 underpayment scheme recently uncovered.
When in USA, Canada, other places, I tip as required.Seems to me that instead of increasing prices and paying staff properly out of the sales income, employers shift the obligation to pay their staff to their customers.
I often tip here in restaurants, but not at the level expected in USA.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #60
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Seems to me that instead of increasing prices and paying staff properly out of the sales income, employers shift the obligation to pay their staff to their customers.
I often tip here in restaurants, but not at the level expected in USA.
Its what I have witnessed in lands with no tipping culture.

American tourist and to some extent Ozzie CUB's come in, start splashing the cash thinking its helping the staff and or making themselves feel good and all that happens in many cases is the owner of the business stops paying or reduces wages.
__________________

Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012