Old 07-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #41
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
In AUSTRALIA people are paid what their services are worth and there is no tipping

What is typical pay (salary or wages) there for restaurant wait staff?

-Chris

Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #42
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris

I believe it is $18+ per hour if memory serves me well.

FWIW - Up here in the NY area t is very customary to tip dockhands and folks at marinas. Similar to Ban B we tip extra when in doubt.
FWIW - you will likely get good service at docks if you are reasonably nice and do not tip, if you are reasonably nice and tip even better.
Then there are the few that are not reasonable, not nice, and do not tip - and then they wonder why they get a certain behavior back , a specific slip and other such responses. You would be surprised at how 'well' the reputation of some of these boats are known.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #43
FF
Guru

Tipping is great , icing on the cake!

As a kid I parked cars at a posh country club , could drive the hell out of MG , MB , Corvettes even RR for over an hour , and they handed cash for scrubbing half the tread off the tires!!

Only in America!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
5 dollars a person no matter what they are doing. (I do my own pump outs)
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #45
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Only in America!
Keep it there then and stop trying to introduce it to other countries.

I hate being hassled for "extra" in countries that had no tipping culture and until very recently, would follow me out of restaurants to return loose coin.
Now you get followed out of a restaurant because we haven't left a large tip.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #46
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Keep it there then and stop trying to introduce it to other countries.

I hate being hassled for "extra" in countries that had no tipping culture and until very recently, would follow me out of restaurants to return loose coin.
Now you get followed out of a restaurant because we haven't left a large tip.
I thought we were talking about dock hands?
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #47
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Tipping is great , icing on the cake!

As a kid I parked cars at a posh country club , could drive the hell out of MG , MB , Corvettes even RR for over an hour , and they handed cash for scrubbing half the tread off the tires!!

Only in America!
I have always taken care of other peoples property better than if it were my own.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Americans are generally known as generous/excessive tippers, particularly outside the States.

With ever-increasing, government-dictated minimum-wages in the USA, perhaps we need to re-examine our tipping habits. (Have noticed restaurant prices are increasing several times faster than general inflation.) It's common that restaurants show the amounts of possible tips based on 15, 18, and 20 percent of the bill, which includes up to nearly 10-percent sales tax.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Americans are generally known as generous/excessive tippers, particularly outside the States.

With ever-increasing, government-dictated minimum-wages in the USA, perhaps we need to re-examine our tipping habits. (Have noticed restaurant prices are increasing several times faster than general inflation.) It's common that restaurants show the amounts of possible tips based on 15, 18, and 20 percent of the bill, which includes up to nearly 10-percent sales tax.
Most restaurants I'm familiar with including those where you pay on a tablet calculate based on the total before sales tax. Just because they list it below the sales tax inclusive number doesn't mean it's calculated that way. Sometimes have to look carefully.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #50
Master and Commander

Was surprised to see the bill from a local Asian-cuisine restaurant with multiple tip-calculations based as low as ten percent. ... Thinking of revising my tipping practice to equal the local sales tax, rounded up to the nearest dollar since restaurant prices are increasing ten to thirty times faster than my pension increases.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Was surprised to see the bill from a local Asian-cuisine restaurant with multiple tip-calculations based as low as ten percent. ... Thinking of revising my tipping practice to equal the local sales tax, rounded up to the nearest dollar since restaurant prices are increasing ten to thirty times faster than my pension increases.
So you'll penalize the waiter or waitress? I can't speak to the restaurant prices vs your pension as I don't know the prices in your area or anything about your pension.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #52

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Must be an east coast thing. In the west, we just do it because we are neighborly. You then pay it forward by helping out the next person.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #53
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

In restaurants, I have generally doubled the sales tax and rounded up. However, as the sales tax has increased, I am beginning to modify that a bit.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #54
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So you'll penalize the waiter or waitress? I can't speak to the restaurant prices vs your pension as I don't know the prices in your area or anything about your pension.
No. How am I penalizing the servicer when not fully participating in increasing their compensation many times faster (ten to thirty times) more than mine (which is supposedly based on government-calculated consumers' rise in cost of living)? The list prices also include paying for their faster-rising basic wages.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #55
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
In restaurants, I have generally doubled the sales tax and rounded up. However, as the sales tax has increased, I am beginning to modify that a bit.
Sales-tax rates vary widely, from nothing to about ten percent!
Old 07-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #56
Guru

Quote:
No. How am I penalizing the servicer when not fully participating in increasing their compensation many times faster (ten to thirty times) more than mine (which is supposedly based on government-calculated consumers' rise in cost of living)? The list prices also include paying for their faster-rising basic wages.
California is a unique situation and that is where you are. It's one of the very few states that requires paying waiters and waitresses minimum wage. California, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Alaska do so. In some other states there are numbers in between. For instance, Florida requires a minimum of $5.08 per hour. In 17 states, it's $2.13 an hour.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #57
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
California is a unique situation and that is where you are. It's one of the very few states that requires paying waiters and waitresses minimum wage. California, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana and Alaska do so. In some other states there are numbers in between. For instance, Florida requires a minimum of $5.08 per hour. In 17 states, it's $2.13 an hour.
Mark's point is that the compensation that the employees have been receiving has, in some locations, gone up dramatically. WA just increased its minimum wage this last year and will continue increase yearly for a while. This increase in wage has resulted in increased menu prices.

If tipping food service workers is to compensate for artificially low wages as well as reward them for good service, there is a good argument for lowering a tip percentage in these circumstances.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #58
Veteran Member

City: FIRST WORLD
Vessel Name: MYOB, NOSEY
Vessel Model: TS39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Tipping should be reserved for 3rd world country's
Mostly these days that is indeed already the case.

BTW how many tip the policeman that gives a traffic ticket?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
Can`t give a $ figure, but it`s a proper wage rate,either determined by negotiation or a wage fixing tribunal, not one that requires customer tipping to make it a reasonable amount. Plus there are loadings for weekends/public holidays, etc. 4 weeks annual holidays too.
Anyone working as a casual(not permanent)employee gets an extra 25% loading, to compensate for no holidays, sick pay, etc.
There are significant penalties for underpaying employees, eg the 7-11 underpayment scheme recently uncovered.
When in USA, Canada, other places, I tip as required.Seems to me that instead of increasing prices and paying staff properly out of the sales income, employers shift the obligation to pay their staff to their customers.
I often tip here in restaurants, but not at the level expected in USA.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #60
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Seems to me that instead of increasing prices and paying staff properly out of the sales income, employers shift the obligation to pay their staff to their customers.
I often tip here in restaurants, but not at the level expected in USA.
Its what I have witnessed in lands with no tipping culture.

American tourist and to some extent Ozzie CUB's come in, start splashing the cash thinking its helping the staff and or making themselves feel good and all that happens in many cases is the owner of the business stops paying or reduces wages.

Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote