Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Grew up in a small farming/ranching town in Texas in the mid 70s. Parents were partners a very small car dealership, and I worked there after school and during the summers starting at age 11-- sweeping floors, cleaning windows, and later when I could see over the steering wheel, driving new cars to the wash bay and washing them all day long. Loved working with my dad. My parents owned a tiny one-room "bay house" about 15 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, and during June and July our family lived in that little house on the bay (August was too hot-- no AC). My dad and I would get up before daylight and drive the 35 miles to the dealership to work, then rush back to the bay house after closing so we could do some sailing on his little 12' Hobe Monocat. That little Hobe got me started in boating and I haven't been able to shake the bug.

Our kids are getting ready to graduate high school now, and our plan is to use our "new to us" boat as a waterfront getaway, and do some local exploring while they are in college, and hopefully bring them along during part of the summers if they want to hang out with us. Later maybe do the loop, and even later maybe try for the Caribbean? Not sure what I can talk my wife into...

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Ok this is us , Marty and Joy . We have been married all our life . No not really but a long time . We have twin daughters that are 40 years old and 4 beautiful grandkids . We started young . I was a machinist / carpenter most of my working years . Now I work for a hardwood lumber company out in the sticks of Tennessee . We have built a couple houses ourselves and are currently living in a 100 year old house that rebuilt ourselves . As far as boating goes we have had 3 sailboats and our present trawler . Nether one of us grew up with boats but somewhere along the way we got hooked . We love life, family and we like nice people . I think we like making old stuff new again and adding our personality to the things we love . Everything is cool here .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	34714  

Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Oh, I get it now...life stories as well

After graduating high school till the age of 32 was my "early retirement" phase, where I didn't spend over a year at any one job, but also never quit and was never fired either. Lots of contract jobs, seasonal work, college, art schools, photography school, traveling, climbing, hiking, and 6 months sea kayaking the coast of BC with my wife.

At 32 I started part-time at the Post Office, got full time work after a couple years, then bought a house, then we had our daughter. I get to see my wife & daughter every morning before work, our house is on my letter carrier route so we all have lunch together, and most days I'm home before our daughter gets home from school. May not be rich as far as money goes, but in the end, time with family will always be worth more.

Five years ago I had a new darkroom about 80% finished when my wife's Honda Civic got t-boned in the drivers side door by a Dodge Ram pickup. That's why we have Badger; because the rules to the game of life got changed and she can't sea kayak anymore. The money in the darkroom budget got used for a larger, higher vehicle with air bags all around. Should be finishing the darkroom this year and I can finally develop a couple hundred sheets of 4X5 HP5!

We self represented ourselves for over a year against the insurance company, ICBC, which turned out to be great training to be an Intervenor in the Canadian National Energy Board's Joint Review Panel Hearings regarding Enbridge's Northern Gateway diluted bitumen and supertanker port proposal for my hometown of Kitimat, BC. That kept me "a tad busy" for over four years.

These days we're busy living life, our daughter is in grade 8, and we're looking towards having Badger ready to explore the wilder, more isolated areas on BC's coast when I retire in about 6 years. My wife takes awesome whale and animal photo's, and I'll be doing large format B&W stuff. We'll bring back the photo's and share them with agencies and groups working towards protecting this place we love.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Family Falls Photo 2013.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	34715  
Old 11-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #24

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
I grew up on my families fishing resort near the Canadian border of the Land of 10,000 lakes. Spent 100 days a year guiding trips on boats under 20' on inland freshwater along the border. Trained as large animal veterinarian (still practice) and became a dairy farmer (hobby that got out of control). Becoming a dairy foods company as of now. Graduated from my 21'Duckworth jet sled (that I still have and use on the Columbia, Snake, and Yakima Rivers) to the 48 in the avatar just over two years ago. Big boat rookie but think it is pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1825.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	34716  
Old 11-21-2014, 10:33 PM   #25
Guru

Bill...looks like you're buttering up 'ol Bessy there with some sweet talk, before donning the armpit length glove
Old 11-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #26

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Murray
Ssshhhhh.....apparently you know the drill.

Been there, done that a million times it seems.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:51 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
Murray
Ssshhhhh.....apparently you know the drill.
Yup, sure do. Just don't ask me how
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 AM   #28
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Hi, I'm Dave. I'm 30, and I like long moonlit walks on the beach. I've always been a boat-head. I was fascinated by the Titanic and other old timey passenger liners from the age of 10, and I still am.

When I was a kid, my family got a 28' Sea Sprite cabin cruiser. I think they only built a few of them, and I've never seen one since we sold ours. She was a fine boat. I was incredibly lucky to have spent my early teenage summers on that boat, cruising the Lakes and Canals of NY State, with the occasional trip to the St. Lawrence. I loved every second of it. Eventually we had to sell her. It was awful, like a death in the family. We all cried.

I decided fairly early that I wanted to work on the water. I went to SUNY Maritime and got a 3rd Mate's license, and started sailing on Great Lakes freighters. I've been doing that for 9 years now, and just recently got my unlimited tonnage master's license.

A few years back, I bought a 12 foot kayak, and used it a ton. About a year ago I decided that my 'yak was a bit too small, so I bought a 29' Cruisers. I'm still a rookie when it comes to boat ownership, and I've had a few days when I wanted to just run the damned thing up on the rocks and say to hell with her. The other 95% of the time has been great. I'm picking up where the family left off 15 years ago, and happy to be back.

Recently I've been putting a lot of thought into selling the house, my current vessel and a bunch of crap, and moving onto a nice comfy trawler. I don't care for winter very much, I'm single, and I can keep my job no matter where I live. Why not, right? Why wait until I'm old?

But enough about me. I want to know everything about you
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #29
Guru

Hell I'm a boat nut there is saw dust and epoxy between my toes grease under my nails. What else do you have to know.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Hell I'm a boat nut there is saw dust and epoxy between my toes grease under my nails. What else do you have to know.
We need to know how it got under between your toes and under your nails
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #31

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Born in LA, raised in So Cal with a life changing sojourn in Guadalajara, Mexico. Earned advanced degrees in city and regional planning but made a career as a filmmaker, producing documentaries and dramas for PBS and the Discovery Networks. Married for 45 years, we have three adult children and 3 grand kids.

Got involved with boating in 1993 when we moved to Seattle from Los Angeles. The Seattle gig allowed me time to discover boating and the outdoor wonders of the Pacific Northwest. Unlike Marin, I loved living in Seattle and still do. However, today I'm happily retired on Whidbey Island where we've owned a small hotel for the past 12 years.

My first boat was a 30' classic Monk cruiser (1941), followed by a quirky Cruise-A-Home which we used as a house boat for weekend trip into Seattle. In 2007 we bought Northstar, a 40 foot Willard trawler. In 2013 we cruised the Inside Passage from Anacortes to SE Alaska, taking in all the sights including, Glacier Bay and venturing out to Sitka on Baranof Island. Last year we bought a 24' diesel motorhome and toured the US, our first "non-boating" summer in 15 years! In January we're driving the RV down to Baja for the winter, then back to boating in the Spring and summer. It's been a good life lived with a good wife.
nwboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I come from avid boating parents. They took their children back and forth on the car ferry to Martha's Vineyard every summer.

Started sailing when I was 12. Learned to scuba dive when I was 14. Went to college and took another scuba class. The Fall of my second year, started working part time at the scuba store. Quit college at Christmas and have't worked since. They say,"Do what you like, and you will never work a day in your life." Opened my own store in '84. Started running dive charters in '86. Moved to the Eastern shore of MD in '90 and opened another store. Closed the last store in '04, but still run the dive boat about 80 trips a year. I tell my charter customers at the end of each trip, " Like they say at the brothel, It's been a business doing your pleasure." Now have over 3,000+ days at sea. There's just something about leaving the dock at first light, heading East, and seeing the Sun rise out of the ocean, that never seems to get old. Moved to Florida in '10, and split my time between there and MD's Eastern shore.

A long the way I had 2 wives (still on #2), a daughter and a son (28 & 23), 7 boats (still have 4 of them), and 1 airplane. Like the song says,"Life has been good to me so far!"

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
Unlike Marin, I loved living in Seattle and still do. However, today I'm happily retired on Whidbey Island where we've owned a small hotel for the past 12 years.
Fortunately, we don't live in Seattle but well east of it in the Cascade foothills. However, I have to drive into or through it fairly regularly What a dump. It must qualify for the country's worst-run metropolis.

Now Vancouver (BC) is another matter entirely. Makes Seattle seem like a badly rusted Quonset hut in comparison.

Whidbey Island, on the other hand, is very nice. Several of the guys I used to work with in television in Honolulu bought land in recent years near the south end of the island, built houses, and moved there. A couple of them have retired, but my closest friend there is still the top DP in Hawaii so commutes to Honolulu every other month of so to shoot commercials, movies, etc.

So we get over to Whidbey quite a bit these days, either by ferry or by running our small boat over to the Langley marina and staying the weekend, going crabbing and stuff.

My wife was in the Navy and her last posting was on the crash crew at Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. So she's quite familiar with the island although she says it's changed a lot, particularly around Oak Harbor.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #34
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Fortunately, we don't live in Seattle but well east of it in the Cascade foothills. However, I have to drive into or through it fairly regularly What a dump. It must qualify for the country's worst-run metropolis.

Wow, you should see the rest of the country - or maybe not. I think Seattle is one of the most vibrant and un-dump-like cities in the US. Perhaps that says more about the other cities rather than about Seattle, but comparatively speaking, it's way more together than most other large US cities.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #35
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
OK, getting back to the thread topic....

My wife likes cruising as much as I do - that's the best part. Our kids are out on their own now, though both are in grad school so still financially tethered. I've been a geek of one sort or another my whole life. Started with cars until high school where I discovered computers (early 70's). I kept working on cars and paid all my bills through college by fixing people's cars, but my computer interests overtook cars pretty quickly so that's the direction I went professionally.

I worked through a variety of companies from very large to very small designing and building various computer related products. I was always good for only about 5 years in any given area before I'd get bored and move to something else. So I got bored with data communications and moved into operating systems just as my friends were going to startups to enjoy the internet boom. I watched them get rich while I toiled away.

Over time I moved from hands-on engineering to management and ultimately ended up making data storage products that were pretty successful in their little corner of the world. Then I finally started my own company and it did very well. We had filed for and received SEC approval to go public and literally the night before the road show we signed a deal to sell the company to Dell. Our investors go the vast majority of the $$, but I got enough to retire and go cruising, so I did. After all, my 5 years were up.

Boat-wise I learned about boats and sailing as a kid in Gloucester, and at age 14 convinced my parents to get a 16' Whaler which, by the way, I still have. It was all small boats until around college when I took an interest to friends' cruising sail boats, and spent a bunch of time crewing and helping move boats at the beginning and end of the season. Then I met my wife who had a 30' Pearson (but was selling it), and we subsequently did a bunch of bare boat chartering. Then we had kids and it was back to small boats again, mostly on the lakes in NH while they were growing up.

After retiring we decided to get back into cruising and experiment with power boats rather than sail boats. First we bought a Back Cove 29 which is a Maine Lobster boat style cruiser. It convinced us we wanted to keep cruising, and that we wanted a boat big enough for comfortable, longer term overnight accommodations. The back cover was just a little too much like camping for us.

Next was the Grand Banks 47 Europa which was very accommodating for extended periods of time. We also decided is was a good time to brush up on our navigation and operating skills, so took a 5 day captain's licensing course in Newport. I did the followup paperwork and got my Masters ticker, but my wife didn't bother. We cruised the GB locally, the whole Downeast loop, the whole eastern seaboard, and the Bahamas. We were totally hooked, but when we made out list of other places we wanted to go, most of them were unreachable in a coastal cruising boat like the GB, so that led us to the Nordhavn.

The next chapter is just beginning. We have finally taken delivery of the Nordhavn and are staged in Seattle for some winter cruising of the San Juans and Alaska next summer. From there we have a long wish list, but no specific plans.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Phew, what an achieving bunch you all are.

Although born in Oz a lot of my time has been spent in Europe from an early age, which included a couple of stints living in Germany on one of your bases at the Fulda gap with the 11th Armored Cavalry( all very unofficial though), although smack bang in the middle of the cold war security was very much less than now.

I have had a few businesses both in Oz and the UK/Switzerland. some did well, one literally caused me to lose the family house. That all paled into oblivion though when we lost our youngest child.As a result of that I decided to become a stay at home dad for the next five years, this believe me in the 1980's was very unusual. I became quite a hit on the mothers circuit in London.Some of the other fathers thought it a bit odd though.

I have been back in Oz on and off for nearly 18 years,and have done some more study, with lots of cooking and boating thrown in.Looking now to head off in another direction, not sure what, but if you stop moving you die, intellectually as well as physically.

Probably said more than I intended.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #37
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Thanks for sharing Andy. You said it though- we sure have an accomplished bunch here. That is becoming more obvious here as we post. And very diversified. I guess I keep looking for that common thread that lead us all into boating and I sure am having problems nailing it down.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 11-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #38

City: Edmonds
When I was a kid we vacationed in Canada and my folks would rent a little Jon boat with a 10 hp engine and I would head out each morning with a bag lunch and the admonition to be back by dinner time. Married the wrong woman right out of college and she left me with half my stuff four years later.

I bought a 16 foot Bayliner at age 28 and skied with friends for five years. Sold her after a couple of corporate moves. Married the right woman and we moved to the PNW. Bought a 28 foot Bayliner and joined Edmonds yacht club. Great move. Learned about the care and feeding of a boat and made great friends. Got twenty foot itis and now have a Bayliner 4788. Singer, songwriter, guitarist, former telecommunications guru. Currently work with my wife in her insurance agency and dreaming of retiring so I can play all day.
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
guess I keep looking for that common thread that lead us all into boating and I sure am having problems nailing it down.
I think the most common thread is that we all were exposed to boats or boating at an ealy age. For me it was my mother taking me for walks when I was a toddler (in a harness and on a leash) on the narrow wooden docks in Sausalito when it was just a little fishing and railroad community on SFO Bay. First boat I can remember being aware of was a little Monterey herring boat, yellow and green, named "Lucky Lady." The fact I still remember it today shows what an impact those walks had on me.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #40
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
An impressive group here!

I'll water it down a little. I grew up in southern Illinois, bass fishing and sailing on lakes, among other small farming town activities. After a self-financed college education, I took a job with FDIC as a federal bank examiner. That led to better positions at other bank regulatory agencies (OTS, FHFA, OCC) and several relocations landed me in the Seattle area 20 years ago. I retired a year ago.

I have owned a 28' express cruiser, a 36' convertible, and now am completely happy with my 46' DeFever.

My wife and I have five kids between us, both on our second marriage. None live at home but three remain on the payroll to some degree.

We love the PNW and our boat is about a 20 minute drive away. We are not members of a yacht club, but I have read the recent thread with interest, and devote a lot of time to boating activities.

drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote