Old 07-30-2016, 02:10 AM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
With all these anchoring techniques, it seems we are trying to juggle 3 fundamental variables:

1) Swing space

2) Boat's attitude to the seas and weather

3) Ease of deployment and retrieval

A single anchor consumes the most swing space, but naturally aligns with the seas and weather, and is the easiest to deploy and retrieve. So unless you are space-limited, this is the best choice, and unsurprisingly the most popular.

Bahamian mooring provides tight control on swing space, yet still allows the boat to self-align to the seas and weather. But this comes with significantly more complicated deployment and retrieval, and more complicated rigging to ensure the lines don't hang up on the more aft parts of the boat.

The various forms of bow and stern anchoring (med moored, bow and stern anchors, stern tied to a shore line, etc.) tightly control swing space, but provide no self-alignment of the boat to seas and weather. Whatever attitude the boat takes when anchored is what you get regardless of what the seas and weather do. And they too are significantly more complicated to deploy and retrieve than a single anchor.

So it seems to all come down to whether or not you need to control your swing space, and what you are willing and able to do to accomplish that.
You nailed it Twisted. Which is why I suspect most of us just avoid anchoring anywhere where those constraints would force a departure from what we are most comfortable with. Which in the majority of cases is the best anchor they have, deployed off the bow.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:44 AM   #42
Guru

FWIW, I should see Rex of Anchor Right at the Sydney Boat Show tomorrow. Any messages?

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
FWIW, I should see Rex of Anchor Right at the Sydney Boat Show tomorrow. Any messages?
Just say Hi from me, thanks Bruce. We keep in touch from time to time via emails, but I'd be interested to hear how the North American sales are going now they have a distributer, also. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
boat anchor - Walmart.com

Internet....."Walmart.com"....50 pages of boat anchors and related items....

I stopped counting at 30 plus anchors and I am guessing more than 10 different manufacturers and 20 or more designs....let alone sizes....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote