Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
I got interested in the dobro while living in Hawaii. My primary inspiration was a musician named Mike Auldridge who played dobro with a fairly famous bluegrass group in the DC area called The Seldom Scene. He was pretty much the top dobro player in the country at that time, playing on albums by Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and many more. Today the top dobro player is considered to be Jerry Douglas.

I played my 8 and 12 string dobros a lot in Hawaii but drifted out of it when I moved to Seattle. About twenty years ago I acquired a mint condition 1962 Fender Stratocaster from a co-worker but have not gotten around to messing with it until this year. We'll see what happens..... I bought a neat little device that lets me play through headphones to a CD that can be set to repeat the same passage continuously so one can learn it or improvise with it. And since it's headphones only I can take it on the boat and not drive my wife nuts by playing the same thing over and over.

Otherwise my involvement with music has been in the production side. But to be able to play an instrument effortlessly (at least so it seems to an audience) would be a wonderful thing.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I learnt brass in my teens and played in a brass band. Initially on flugel horn, then cornet. When I left the band I bought a trumpet. However, when my eldest son got interested in music, and we organised lessons, he was so gifted he kept outpacing his teachers, and I felt rather inferior, as he left me way behind, and as work intruded more and more I sort of let it drop. I then taught myself keyboard, but again let it drop. I regret not keeping my music up, so I'm thinking of dusting the horn off, and firing up the keyboard. You guys have inspired me.
That son is now making his living as a screen composer in London, incidentally.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I wanted to be a rock-n-roll guitar player, but when I saw some of my friend's abilities at guitar, I knew I would a) never be that good b) didn't want to work at it as long and hard as it would have taken to BE that good. I was working at a music store at the time and decided to take control of the pro audio department. I took to it like a duck to water and became an accomplished audio tech/engineer.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Mahal, that was a beautiful performance. When at the boat in Ft. Pierce, I try not to miss the Tuesday night jazz jambs. Last week they had their 17 piece orchestra. Jazz & Blues Society
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
I like the sound of this thread. In all of our boat travels I always bring my guitar and mandolin so I can practice. I have yet to run into others and play music with them. Like others here, I played and toured and then teaching Middle School Science took over my life. Now that I retired I have a new guitar, picked up a carved German stand up Bass and have more time for my mandolin too. I do not picture the Bass going on our cruises, but definitely the other two will. Two years ago at Princess Louisa Inlet there was a rainbow over the dock and I played Somewhere over The Rainbow on the dock. It felt like church.

Music on the water, pretty hard to beat.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #26
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Later, I switched to playing country music. Actual country music, not what's being passed off today as country music.
Thank you! A bunch of drugstore cowboys posing as country as far as I'm concerned. Give me that old timey stuff any day. Whenever I rent a car I get the SiriusXM package so I can listen to "Outlaw Country".
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #27

Moonstruck, Thanks. That is a great organization there. I wouldn't miss it either, if I were near them.

THD, what a wonderful story about your son. Has your daughter auditioned for Roosevelt yet? That must be a very tough H.S. jazz band to make. I wish her good luck. We hear that name announced as winners at the Reno jazz fest all the time. If you haven't yet, watch the documentary "Chops" as I think it featured Roosevelt's jazz band.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #28
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I co-wrote a record we recorded last year and it's in the final stages of mixing and production. When we get the final cut we'll push for a tour opening for major acts. I hope this happens as we spent a lot of time studio wise and the band is made up of exceptional musicians. Coming from LA the connections are easier for us but the problem is getting to them. They are bombarded daily with many people from good, bad and plain ole ugly.

Our music is rock and it's instrumental. The guitarist has sold some of his previous music to ESPN, Discovery and VH1 channels as well as movies. That isn't the area we are looking for because there isn't any money for the musician in TV and movies. Playing live concerts gets the exposure and CD sales help spread it and make up a small amount of income.

Today selling music CD's is almost gone. People buy single songs or steal them and share them with friends.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

While CDs are not as popular as they used to be they still have their uses. The one we are producing for this amazing 16-year old violinist will help her in all sorts of ways as she continues to build her career. But it will be on iTunes as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
That's true. Online sales of digital and actual CD's will be around a while I think. Even vinyl is coming back.

I have friends selling on CD Baby and it isn't like the old days. Tower Records on Sunset Strip closed years ago. I lived a block from it. They had concerts in the parking lot at times when a new CD was offered. That always jammed the area with people and they would sell tens of thousands of their CD's a day.

Good Luck with that CD and congrats to the 16 yr old. That's a great resume bulder. What genre music is it?
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Duplicate post.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

She plays mostly classical right now (she's being flown to Washington, DC next month to be the guest soloist with the symphony there), but she's getting into jazz and the original piece she performed (recording session and on camera) for my Boeing project is rock. She started playing-- on her own, not pushed by her parents-- when she was four. She manages her own career and she is not afraid to speak her mind.

Below are a couple of frames from the video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-304817244.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	17602

Name:	image-1047125482.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	17603
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Marin, that girl looks 16 going on 24.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

I hired the best pair of makeup/hair/wardrobe people in Seattle to work this shoot for me. The video is being made for China and the customer asked that we put the violinist in a red dress. Our wardrobe person brought this one up from LA for the shoot.

When you see her in person she looks 16. But she's one of those people the camera really loves and with the right lighting, hair, and makeup she can look just about any age you want her to. This is the last frame of one of her takes right after I said "cut.". I think there's a bit more of the 16 year old in this one.

Name:	image-938951545.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	17606
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #35
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
[quote]Capthead has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Your Farthest Cruise - in the General Discussion forum of Trawler Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/your-farthest-cruise-9482-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Ron, I was a professional musician also. I toured the US in bands for many years, played concerts and festivals in FL, on the strip in Las Vegas, Crater festival and clubs in Hawaii and The Whiskey A Go Go here in LA.

I play bass, what do you play?
*************** [quote]

Capthead, I got an email of your post but for some reason it's not displaying in the thread.

I play bass also and sing. Small world!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #36

[QUOTE=rwidman;145160][quote]Capthead has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Your Farthest Cruise - in the General Discussion forum of Trawler Forum.

This thread is located at:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/your-farthest-cruise-9482-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Ron, I was a professional musician also. I toured the US in bands for many years, played concerts and festivals in FL, on the strip in Las Vegas, Crater festival and clubs in Hawaii and The Whiskey A Go Go here in LA.

I play bass, what do you play?
Quote:

Capthead, I got an email of your post but for some reason it's not displaying in the thread.

I play bass also and sing. Small world!
The thread has been split. Find the thread "music and water mix well"
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I've often looked back and figured that playing music on weekends (after quitting playing full time and starting a career) is the reason I am able to afford a pretty nice boat at this point in my life.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #38

Name:  guitar-boat.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  18.1 KB
Music and water mixing well.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #39

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
Rob,

Thanks for the compliment and yes my son is the soloist. He is also the first alto in the Southern California High school All Star Jazz band.

We have a very strong middle school band here. Last week, they entered in a high school intermediate category and got third place beating some high school bands. It was in middle school that my son and daughter developed into musicians. They had a teacher that they loved and was a good motivator. They stop by the middle school every now and then to visit their old music teacher and help with the kids.

Mahal,

There is nothing we like better than having a former student come back to visit. Especially those like your children who sound like great role models. I hope your son will consider a career in music be it performance or teaching.

Marin, it is not too hard to switch back and fourth but it does take practice as the embouchure (how you form your mouth on the mouthpiece) is different for each instrument. Clarinet is a little more demanding in that the chin needs to be pointed down and the corners of the mouth back more. Clarinet also has mostly open tone holes that have to be perfectly covered or you get the dreaded squeak. Sax has a more rounded, relaxed embouchure and covered tone holes. My sax colleagues are always ragging me about playing sax like a clarinet. Many of the fingerings are similar esp. in the upper register.

Rob
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #40

According to my kids, it was a good thing that they learned to play the clarinet first as adding the saxophone later was easy. Their friends that did it the other way around struggled with the clarinet.