Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #21

The SOB Ran My Damn Boat Aground!!

In some 30 or so years of being on a boat I've only (myself) run aground once, in Sesuit Harbor in Cape Cod. It was charted at about 6', and my sailboat drew 4' or 5' I believe. Either way - the inlet had silted up - and I had a soft grounding on the sand, dead center of the inlet... it had silted up to about 4' of water at low tide. About 30 minutes later the tide floated me off.

Only other time I've been on a boat that grounded was when I was about 7 years old on a 46' Post (sport fishing boat) leaving Montauk in DENSE fog - I mean DENSE - we had a guy on the bow spotting buoys to get out of the inlet - and we couldn't see him on the bow. We drifted about 20 feet to Starboard, and just touched the bottom (sand/mud) at idle speed. Just backed off.

But - cruising in Boston and Maine - uff. We had a large (100'+) whale watching boat miss a buoy in the entrance channel (South Channel) into Boston and ran up HARD on "Devil's Back" - took on water, several injuries, had to evac all aboard. Devil's Back is a "finger" of rock that comes straight up from the bottom - you go from 35' of water to a vertical spire of rock that barely is covered at low tide in about 100' feet of travel - and the "finger" is only about 20 feet wide.

Scroll through the pics -

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...s_aground?pg=3

For those of you who don't know Boston harbor - it is a pain. Tons of unmarked ledges, shoals, flats, etc. What's worse - you can be a mile from any harbor island, in 60' of water - then it goes to 1' of water in 20 yards, then back to 30'. And we have a 10-12' tidal range. Lots of unmarked boulders too, near my yacht club, as they used to use boulders to moor seaplanes in 20's and 30's. Also some VERY confusing buoys / daymarkers. In a few places you have parallel channels, with very similar daymarks (ie, by Great Brewster Spit you have 2 red daymarks, just 1,800 feet apart, at a sharp bend in the channel in open water - if you confuse the first daymark as the second one - you will turn into submerged rocks).

-- Edited by 7tiger7 on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 11:19:25 AM

7tiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: The SOB Ran My Damn Boat Aground!!

Anchored on a shallow sandy bottom and let the tide go out. I needed to look over the bottom and check my zincs.

Floated on the incoming tide.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
The SF Bay estuaries continue to silt in as mountains erode and developments spring up. ...
*The San Leandro Marina is likely to close down in a few years.* It hasn't found money for dredging the marina and the two-mile approach channel to handle the silting.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

Silting in SF Bay? Ain't seen nothin' yet.... Wait until the powers-to-be divert 30% of the Sacramento River and ship it to Southern California deserts in the near future.... We will have to resort to pushing our flat-bottom boats around with poles! Follow the money and political donations for a full understanding on what is about to occur. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

That's my fear, too, Ray.* The politicians are about to ravage the delta in the name of big business.* There is a great risk that it will all turn into a desolate salt water swampland.* But I will continue to support it and enjoy it until its dying day or my dying day, whichever comes first.

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 12:37:48 PM
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -

I don't buy into the "two kinds of boaters, those who have gone aground and those who will" notion. To me, it's "those who have gone aground and those who haven't." In 39 years of boating in various kinds of watercraft, power and sail, I have never gone aground in anything other than beaching a canoe or dinghy. The closest we've come to going aground was when our worthless Bruce anchor dragged in strong winds a few years ago and we came within a few feet of being blown up against a railroad trestle before we got the anchor up and were able to power away. But so far I've never touched bottom in anything and we intend to keep it that way for the duration of our boating years. We'll see if we can fulfill our intentions.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #27
Per
Guru

does a kelp island count? other than that i try to stay afloat.
that being said in port of Long Beach, near the Queen Mary, there are shoals, you got to be careful..

my parents had a retrofitted fishing boat, made into a true trawler.. with a full hull.
he ran that aground once inside a fjord, it was sandy bottom so no big deal, but did need the CG come and pull us out.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
Marin wrote:
In 39 years of boating in various kinds of watercraft, power and sail, I have never gone aground in anything other than beaching a canoe or dinghy.
Have you spent much time in the Chesapeake?* It's possible that's where the saying comes from.** I've heard that the average depth is only 20'.* The shipping channel is around 50' so the rest is pretty thin. There are endless chances to run into the mud.

-- Edited by BaltimoreLurker on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 02:10:28 PM
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Marin wrote:
I don't buy into the "two kinds of boaters, those who have gone aground and those who will" notion.
*I always heard it was "those who have gone aground and those who lie..."

Anyway, my saying is "If you didn't call Sea Tow then it doesn't count as a grounding..."* Using that criteria I've never gone aground
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:Marin wrote:
In 39 years of boating in various kinds of watercraft, power and sail, I have never gone aground in anything other than beaching a canoe or dinghy.
Have you spent much time in the Chesapeake?* It's possible that's where the saying comes from.**

*Could be, I don't know.* I've never boated the east coast and have no intention of ever doing so.* So while it may be that boaters are running aground willy-nilly back there it's not anything I have any need to be concerned about.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

In my area of operations on the NJ intracoastal (about 20NM), there are at least 2 places that at dead low tide has 2-3 ft of water in the center of the channel.

So around here going adround is pretty common.

Some of us with boating experience where the bottom is granite or coral...use A LOT better judgement when boating out of the area...but EVERY boater around here goes aground sooner or later and it's NOTHING about staying in the channel because sometimes the deep water is NOT in the channel at all..

-- Edited by psneeld on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 05:02:48 PM
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

Does it count if it was a charter boat? We did put our chartered Cat on a sandbar down in Belize. Since the average depth inside the reef is only 12' or so, fairly common. Up here in the NW, never touched bottom except beaching the skiff. Since here you will likely touch on an unforgiving rocky shoal or reef, we are a little bit more aware of the depth.
I did recently though, have a scare on the South end of the Swinimish Channel when we got into about 5' of water. Hopefully they willl get around to dredging.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Max Simmons wrote:
I did recently though, have a scare on the South end of the Swinimish Channel when we got into about 5' of water. Hopefully they willl get around to dredging.
That's the big beef that's been written about in the local boating magazines a lot lately.* It seems the federal government--- I assume in a cost cutting, "let's reduce the deficit" attempt--- withdrew the funding for dredging the Swinomish Channel awhile back and it has not been renewed.* The channel is apparently silting in fast but with no funds available to dredge it (the state is broke, too) the prospect of relief is pretty bleak unless there have been recent developments I haven't heard about.

Unless something changes in this regard,*the threat of La Conner being cut off from the lower Sound and Anacortes is apparently quite real, at least to deeper draft boats,*if one believes the editorials in the magazines.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 11:14:12 PM
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

I think the charts said there should have been 12' so she's really silting up. If we leave in the afternoon from Everettt headed North we liked to stop for the night in La Conner and hit the La Conner Brewery. Now, unless it's high tide, we use Deception pass and head to Spencer Spit on Lopez. Sadly, no brewery with smoked salmon pizza
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #35
Guru

The dredging for the Slough was provided by the Corps of Engineers. With their funding cutbacks, they are raising the bar, so to speak, for dredging funds. Currently they say it's based on shipping tons. Since there is virtually no shipping thru the Slough, there is virtually no money to dredge. I'm guessing that the logs are the only shipping that really counts. The indian fisheries probably don't count. Or the count of indian fishery is really low if it does.

The really thin water spots are just inside the entrance on the north side of the channel and at Shelter Bay on the west side of the channel. There was enough water there for us several times last year, although we go thru with at least a 2' predicted tide. Some of the zero tides and minus tide caught a lot of people last year.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T

Quote:
Marin wrote:BaltimoreLurker wrote:Marin wrote:
Have you spent much time in the Chesapeake?* It's possible that's where the saying comes from.**

*Could be, I don't know.* I've never boated the east coast and have no intention of ever doing so.* So while it may be that boaters are running aground willy-nilly back there it's not anything I have any need to be concerned about.

Wow, Really?

You should expand your horizon's a little Marin.* I've spent a good bit of time in the PNW (I work for a company based in Portland) and while I really like it there, I wouldn't want to limit my water time to that area.* There are no fish, palm trees, white sand beaches or warm water in the PNW.

Where I live in the Florida panhandle going aground is just part of the deal.* In my opinion one of a boaters greatest skills is the ability to "read" the water, something that we use in the Bahamas all the time.*

It is much harder to discern the difference between say 8' and 3' than it is in your area to figure 50' to 4'.*

Also, we don't have as many rocks, though reefs and oysters can be pretty tough on the barrier coat!

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
*There are no fish, palm trees, white sand beaches or warm water in the PNW.
Where I live in the Florida panhandle going aground is just part of the deal.* In my opinion one of a boaters greatest skills is the ability to "read" the water, something that we use in the Bahamas all the time.*

It is much harder to discern the difference between say 8' and 3' than it is in your area to figure 50' to 4'.**

*Are you saying you actually go into the water?

If you have to read the water what is a sonar and charts for?

I don't know. I can't stand the heat myself. And that swimming stuff. I drowned once so I stay on the water not in it..

No palm trees where I live and I think they are kind of funny looking.

Different strokes for different folks.

SD*

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

"I drowned once so I stay on the water not in it.."

I thought if you drown, you die.* Was this in a previous life?

In the CA Delta, if you haven't run aground, you're not taking your boat out of the slip enough.*

I'm learning that there is a right and a wrong way to run aground.* My first one cost $8000 in repairs.* My second was free.* I think I'm getting better at this.* ;-)
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T

One of the things I like best about my old boat is that the keel is about 2' wide and extends well below the level of the props. You can give any piece of bottom that is rude enough to be in your path a really good thump without any damage.

Know what you are saying about different strokes. I think the PNW is really beautiful, and there are times I wish for a warm cozy cabin heater on a foggy night in a safe anchorage. But it is not what I want all the time.

The good thing about your cold water is way fewer jet skis.

-- Edited by Dougcole on Tuesday 7th of February 2012 04:16:36 PM
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:
"I drowned once so I stay on the water not in it.."

I thought if you drown, you die.* Was this in a previous life?
*I survived it. I was dead for about 5 minutes or so they tell me.

SD