Small trawler OK to cruise PNW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ben he said “mid 30’ length”.
But OD has a fairly fat boat so he relates to that.
I have a very slow boat and relate to that.
I remember when we had the Albin 25 we’d watch out for AT wakes. That’s another sign AT’s are wide boats. But then the NT guy that left NT and formed AT I think wanted to make the NT bigger .. not longer but higher and wider. There are other significant differences but I’ll bet beam and displacement is the biggest or most important difference.

The smaller the trawler, the more it feels like camping.

Dan, You talk about camping like it's a bad thing.

My wife and I love going out camping. Sometimes we just get out the sleeping bags and hike down into the gorge below our house to sleep under the stars. It's a great night out.

My wife and I love going out camping. Sometimes we just get out the sleeping bags and hike down into the gorge below our house to sleep under the stars. It's a great night out.

I am sincerely happy for you and your spouse in fact, I applaud your decision. SMILE

For me my AT 34/36 is small enough.

Dan I get to see new ones all the time as Willy is in a shed right next to where they build American Tugs. Seen some nice ones. Wish they were all white but there’s a blue/grey that I like.

Having cruised this area my entire life I'd say that someone who said that you need at least 35 feet has (choose one):
- never cruised in the area
- Misspoke and intended to say that larger boats can cut you out of some harbors
- was trying to sell you a big boat.

I'm used to a 40' boat. For my experience there is more limitation as boats get larger in these islands. As the boat gets longer you get excluded from the smaller coves. Places like Pirates Cove (Decorcy isl), Princess Cove (Wallace Isl) or Roscoe bay (Redona isl) become increasingly problematic over 45'. In Nanaimo, anything over 40' is relegated to anchoring way out, the 35' and less boats get the prime buoys (close in) at Newcastle island park.

As others have said, there are many people cruising in the 25-30' range or smaller. One of the classic books written about the area, the Curve of Time, documented the voyages of boat of about 25'. Another thing, you can cruise the area using anything from a Kayak to a runabout by camping at the marine parks....Anyway, the area is well suited to smaller boats.

Dan I get to see new ones all the time as Willy is in a shed right next to where they build American Tugs. Seen some nice ones. Wish they were all white but there’s a blue/grey that I like.

Trust me, you want white, they will paint it white for you. LOL
If you want it Pepto Pink, that might take a little longer.

Come to think of it, all boats, by brand, pretty much look the same. It's whats on the inside that makes it perfect. SMILE

Last edited:
Having cruised this area my entire life I'd say that someone who said that you need at least 35 feet has (choose one):
- never cruised in the area
- Misspoke and intended to say that larger boats can cut you out of some harbors
- was trying to sell you a big boat.

I'm used to a 40' boat. For my experience there is more limitation as boats get larger in these islands. As the boat gets longer you get excluded from the smaller coves. Places like Pirates Cove (Decorcy isl), Princess Cove (Wallace Isl) or Roscoe bay (Redona isl) become increasingly problematic over 45'. In Nanaimo, anything over 40' is relegated to anchoring way out, the 35' and less boats get the prime buoys (close in) at Newcastle island park.

As others have said, there are many people cruising in the 25-30' range or smaller. One of the classic books written about the area, the Curve of Time, documented the voyages of boat of about 25'. Another thing, you can cruise the area using anything from a Kayak to a runabout by camping at the marine parks....Anyway, the area is well suited to smaller boats.

You’re “preaching to the choir” ??
Totally agree!
I did a fall cruise a few years back in a 23ft pilot house sailboat. Used the inside helm and was fine with the lil Espar. Went from Pender Harbour all the way to the Broughtons and Port McNeil and back. Returned mid December.
Was a hoot!

Wifey B: I camp on the flybridge under the moon and stars. :D

Neither of us have ever been camping and I must admit my only thought of camping would be in a 40 or 50 foot fully decked out motorhome. :eek::eek:

We've talked about doing it one time. Well, guess we did once. We spent the night on the beach in Myrtle Beach, behind the hotel, had Tiffany on watch to make sure no one walked up and was shocked or no cops. No tent though. Just us, the moon, the stars, the champagne. We :censored::censored::censored: and more.

I sort of camped as a kid. The house I grew up in had holes in some of the walls, was more a shack than house, heat was a wood stove in the middle of the house, one window A/C in living room but not allowed to run it often, only the semen donor allowed to operate it. Did have electricity and water, at least when the bills were paid.

We've talked of spending the night sometime out by a beautiful waterfall. :)

Oh, this will make you laugh. Hubby didn't camp out as a kid, but he had a playhouse in the backyard he occasionally spent the night in. It was fully finished, storm windows, electric, and heat. It had bunk beds and was about 12' x 12' he says. That was his camping out. :)

My DIL says "camping is just paying money to be homeless".:lol:

Wifey B: I can see a night on the beach or by a beautiful waterfall, but don't see me or my hubby spending days somewhere in woods, no air, no heat, community toilet, community shower, and hundreds of other strangers surrounding us and packed in. Now, for those who enjoy it or find remote places to do it, all the more to them. I'm sure I do things they wouldn't enjoy. :)

For defining a "small vessel," I'd say 30 meters in length (referring to page 154 of the Colregs) but in regards to "small-craft" warnings, believe this refers to much smaller craft which are open to swamping.

Wifey B: I can see a night on the beach or by a beautiful waterfall, but don't see me or my hubby spending days somewhere in woods, no air, no heat, community toilet, community shower, and hundreds of other strangers surrounding us and packed in. Now, for those who enjoy it or find remote places to do it, all the more to them. I'm sure I do things they wouldn't enjoy. :)

What you described doesn't sound fun to me either. Now camping somewhere more remote with less people where that's basically the only way to get out there and see something cool, that's worth it.

This thread started with the question “can a small trawler cruise the PNW”?
That seems to have evolved into “and not feel like camping” ?

Define camping? Do you mean “roughing it”?

My boat has a 28ft hull.
It’s 31 including the bow rail and swim platform but it’s a 28ft hull.
I’ll be headed to the Broughtons next week which will be this boats 4th cruise to Queen Charlotte Sound. I’m just returning from a run through the Gulf Islands, San Juans to Bellingham and back.

It has:
-Fridge with separate freezer. I have 3 weeks meat ahead and yes... ice for my rum!
-a 3 burner cook top with oven
-Corian counter tops
-a comfortable L shaped dinette that drops to a cozy double bunk
Yes... in leather
-a drop down TV cabinet
-separate forward facing seats for captain and crew underway, yes, in leather :)
-private forward cabin with proper mattress for queen bunk
-head with vacu flush toilet, medicine cabinets and vanity with Corian countertop
-a very large separate shower that many 40fters would be envious of
-ample storage drawers and cabinets as well as a large cedar lined hanging closet
-a bus heater for underway, wabasto for anchor and electric for when docked
-the flybridge has ample room... a dance floor for 2 actually
-in true nautical fashion, Emma B drinks 6, eats 4 and although can sleep 4, sleeps 2 best

So, back to the “can a small trawler cruise the PNW” combined with “and not feel like camping” ?

I think so!
Your mileage may very

(Leather and Corian noted tongue and cheek only to ad to the not roughing it feeling)

Attachments

• CC3F91F4-031F-43F9-954F-600365EAA3DA.jpg
    CC3F91F4-031F-43F9-954F-600365EAA3DA.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 34
  • A147B383-6361-4E2F-B31B-4F34798361CB.jpg
    A147B383-6361-4E2F-B31B-4F34798361CB.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 9E7DDF17-2FC7-4E58-90CF-E11CA9A64B6C.jpg
    9E7DDF17-2FC7-4E58-90CF-E11CA9A64B6C.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 94055B54-783A-4432-8391-F514EC050B64.jpg
    94055B54-783A-4432-8391-F514EC050B64.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 31
  • F70F434C-D482-462C-B952-5E93986BA598.jpg
    F70F434C-D482-462C-B952-5E93986BA598.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 52ADF9F8-F181-46C7-828C-EFF93DCC9BDF.jpg
    52ADF9F8-F181-46C7-828C-EFF93DCC9BDF.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 29
  • A7493027-807F-4357-A4C2-0D7E3EAE123F.jpg
    A7493027-807F-4357-A4C2-0D7E3EAE123F.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 681DD17A-3127-42AB-9DEA-8F58C2FB81FE.jpg
    681DD17A-3127-42AB-9DEA-8F58C2FB81FE.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

My boat has a 28ft hull.
I’ll be headed to the Broughtons next week which will be this boats 4th cruise to Queen Charlotte Sound. I’m just returning from a run through the Gulf Islands, San Juans to Bellingham and back.

Emma B drinks 6, eats 4 and although can sleep 4, sleeps 2 best

So, back to the “can a small trawler cruise the PNW” combined with “and not feel like camping” ?

I think so!
Your mileage may very

(Leather and Corian noted tongue and cheek only to add to the not roughing it feeling)

Yup, you have a well equipped pretty boat. Do you live alone on the boat?

MY AT34 has a WLL of a bit over 32ft.

When my 'house mouse' moved aboard, storage became a MAJOR problem. I had the fwd berth put on a had assisted lift system. Now, room to store soft drinks, paper products and spare parts. Gotta love her, but the part she does not understand is 'half a hanging closet.' LOL
Her parents came to visit for a couple of months. The father lived out of his suitcase and mama lived in a drawer that her daughter gave up.
I actually gave up the stateroom and the mouse and I slept in the salon. Trust me, it was more convenient for me. I get up very early and when it is time, I rattle the pans when I start breakfast. This allows them more private times as I prepared breakfast.
I put in 5 more cabinets (spice, books, dishes, meds and one for spare coffee and canned milk and a few more folded clothes)..... The salon/galley lacked ventilation, with the doors and windows closed, so I had a over the stove hood designed and it exits out to the upper deck. Just a bit over kill. LOL
My philosophies are, "I sure am putting a lot of perfume on the pig." and "I sure hope the next owner appreciates all the changes I made." I know I can never get that money back but, it is more comfortable for me/us.

It’s great to personalize your boat for your usage!
Your a good man having in-laws aboard for anything more than a week!!
Cootoes to ya!
I spend falls aboard this boat. Last year had mate aboard for 6 weeks.
It’s a great size to solo or for 2.
Small for a liveaboard but fine for 3-4mths.
Have fun!

The salon/galley lacked ventilation, with the doors and windows closed, so I had a over the stove hood designed and it exits out to the upper deck. Just a bit over kill. LOL

I'd call that one useful, not overkill. I really need to figure out why the (factory provided) vent fan over my stove doesn't work at some point. I guess I should add that to the winter projects list.

I'd call that one useful, not overkill. I really need to figure out why the (factory provided) vent fan over my stove doesn't work at some point. I guess I should add that to the winter projects list.

Describe "doesn't work". Do you have a electric fan or natural ventilation?
Could be the stack vent cap?

I have a variable speed, rheostat controlled fan in mine. This fan is actually rather quiet a slow to medium speed. Also I have a grease screen too.

Mine is an electric fan. I don't ever remember it being used in my time aboard this boat (prior to it becoming mine). When I tested it, I flipped the switch and nothing happened. So I'll have to pull it apart and see if it's getting power or not.

Mine is an electric fan. I don't ever remember it being used in my time aboard this boat (prior to it becoming mine). When I tested it, I flipped the switch and nothing happened. So I'll have to pull it apart and see if it's getting power or not.

Could be a dead fan. Check for grease build up while you have it a part.

Could be a dead fan. Check for grease build up while you have it a part.

That's my guess. As far as I know, the stove on this boat has only been used a handful of times, so I wouldn't be surprised if the fan motor died from corroding in place due to lack of use...

That's my guess. As far as I know, the stove on this boat has only been used a handful of times, so I wouldn't be surprised if the fan motor died from corroding in place due to lack of use...

Good thought.

My boat has a 28ft hull.

It has:
-Fridge with separate freezer. I have 3 weeks meat ahead and yes... ice for my rum!
-a 3 burner cook top with oven
-Corian counter tops
-a comfortable L shaped dinette that drops to a cozy double bunk
Yes... in leather
-a drop down TV cabinet
-separate forward facing seats for captain and crew underway, yes, in leather :)
-private forward cabin with proper mattress for queen bunk
-head with vacu flush toilet, medicine cabinets and vanity with Corian countertop
-a very large separate shower that many 40fters would be envious of
-ample storage drawers and cabinets as well as a large cedar lined hanging closet
-a bus heater for underway, wabasto for anchor and electric for when docked
-the flybridge has ample room... a dance floor for 2 actually
-in true nautical fashion, Emma B drinks 6, eats 4 and although can sleep 4, sleeps 2 best

I think so!
Your mileage may very

(Leather and Corian noted tongue and cheek only to ad to the not roughing it feeling)

Wifey B: Definitely not camping although I would ask about the supply of hot water for showering. :ermm:

Camping is porta potti or worse, no climate comfort, no tv, tightly rationed water, no refrigerator or freezer, no stove or oven.

To me the difference is "necessities." I know certain things are not absolute necessities, not necessities by definition, but they have become so to me and in my life. They are necessary to my comfort. :)

Durant F...trust me. Compared to our C-Dory, you are living in luxury. That thing is a yacht in comparison.:thumb:

Durant I see your boat as a 30’ yacht.
No sign of camping.
Possibility even a bit pretentious.

Is that beautiful light yellow (hull) a factory yellow?
Or is it an aftermarket coating. I’d never again tie up to a float plane (rubber tire) float again if I had such a beautiful hull. Still haven’t fixed the black tire marks. As an Alaskan I should know better.

Back
Top Bottom