Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #121
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
GFO and Teflon are not the same. GFO is ePTFE, Teflon is PTFE.

The e (expansion) makes a big difference in the yarn.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #122
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I too have heard not so nice reports about the "teflon stuff" but I don't think that's what GFO is. In any case, leave in what you have done and get out on the water.
Ah, Mr. NS beat me by 12 minutes...

Old 01-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #123
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Well I'm not finished yet. Tomorrow when I get back in the water, I will tie up to the dock, run the engines at idle in gear for about 20 minutes to make adjustments.

The reason I went with regular flax. I got into a in depth conversation with a guy at Englund Marine here in Astoria. They had both the Teflon flax and the regular. He is 74 and he told me that for many many years he has used the regular flax. He has used the Teflon stuff and he had issues with it. He has always had good performance with regular flax and uses it exclusively in his fishing boats. These boats are ran farther and harder than my trawler will ever see. He convinced me.

I went back in to Englund this morning as I was set the take every thing out and use the GTU (GTC?) stuff. He told me I would be fine and was willing to come down to the yard and look at my installation. I showed him my pictures and told me I did a good job. He also told me that after our conversation two boat owners came in and wanted the regular flax and was cussing the Teflon stuff, why I am not sure.

I want to thank all of you as I do fill more comfortable with it now and really do appreciate all TF advice that was given. Thank you.......
Let me try this again.

Gore GFO is what you want to use. Not G-- anything else.

And GFO is not the same as the old white Teflon crap packing.

https://www.emarineinc.com/categorie...-Shaft-Packing
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #124
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I put Duramax in my sporty. 2 1/2 inch shafts. No leaks after getting them adjusted right. Ever. Not while running or sitting. Temps are whatever the water temp is. YMMV
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #125
FF
Guru

"I put Duramax in my sporty. 2 1/2 inch shafts. No leaks after getting them adjusted right. Ever. Not while running or sitting. Temps are whatever the water temp is. YMMV"

This is the reality that makes everything else a poor choice.

When buying GFO , remember to do the rudder stocks .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #126
Veteran Member

City: tampa
Vessel Name: ocean paradise
Vessel Model: mainship 1 210cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I put Duramax in my sporty. 2 1/2 inch shafts. No leaks after getting them adjusted right. Ever. Not while running or sitting. Temps are whatever the water temp is. YMMV
Duramax
bluemainship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #127
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well to close this out. We were put in the water yesterday. Ran the boat at idle for 30 minutes. Made a few adjustments. Ran home which was 4 1/2 hr run. Would check out the seals periodically. Made a few adjustments to where it would drip a little. Flange was cool to the touch. Done with this project.....

Thank you for everyone's help and advice.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #128

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
GFO contains graphite, which can cause problems, but much more likely on a bronze or low grade SS shaft.
Another good case for fresh water flushing here, any type of packing or dripless system holds saltwater captive against dissimilar metals, possibly for extended periods.
So exercise regularly, and flush after every use!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #129
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
GFO contains graphite, which can cause problems, but much more likely on a bronze or low grade SS shaft.
Cite please.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #130

I'm no scientist, but I see the problem with graphite is that it is very high on the scale of noble metals, so the less noble metal interacting with it will become the anode.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
I'm no scientist, but I see the problem with graphite is that it is very high on the scale of noble metals, so the less noble metal interacting with it will become the anode.
OK so you can cite no actual factual evidence of this ever being an issue with GFO packing then I take it?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #132
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Zackly.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #133

Geez, Bill, did you buy stock in GFO?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #134
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Cite please.
Look at the Safety Data Sheet.

http://www.gore.com/MungoBlobs/573/3...fo-fiber,0.pdf

GOREŽ GFOŽ packing is comprised of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), silicone oil, and graphite.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #135
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Or read what Rod at Compass Marine has to say about graphite-impregnated packing on certain shaft metals: Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

- - -

GFO, GTU & Ultra-X Warning

*WARNING: While I do like the graphite impregnated packings such as Duramax Ultra-X, Gore GFO or Western Pacific Tradings GTU they can be dangerous to underwater metals. I have used it on my own boat but inspected the Aqualoy 22 prop shaft yearly.

Graphite is one of the most noble metals on the galvanic scale and is basically at the top. As such anything in the drive train becomes anodic to the packing. Older "bronze" shafts, really more like a brass because they had high zinc content, can be damaged by these new high tech packings.

The damage shown in this photo happened in one season with intact prop shaft zincs. The shaft was in fine condition when packed and a year later this is what it looked like.

The packing used was Gore GFO a graphite impregnated packing. If you have a bronze shaft use extreme caution with graphite impregnated packing materials.

I don't tend to see these issues with Aqualoy 22 shafting but I have seen it with bronze and lower grades of stainless. Please use these packings CAREFULLY. If you choose them please do check on the shaft periodically.

It should be noted that ABYC P-6 specifically says this:

ABYC Standards:
"6.7.4 Graphite impregnated packing material shall not be used because of the possibility of galvanic incompatibility with the shaft material."

That being said there are thousands of happy boaters who have had decent results with these packings. However, they should not be treated as a "set it and forget it" packing. If using these graphite impregnated products I would suggest checking the shaft at least yearly.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #136
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I knew I had read it somewhere....actually several times.

Then again I didn't read it a 100 times so like many things in boating...WTF?

Trying to nail it down and all the required info like what are my boat's components made of so picking new stuff is always a challenge.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #137
Guru

Quote:
Geez, Bill, did you buy stock in GFO?
No. But I know it works and have never seen it damage a shaft. So just because someone says it can cause damage doesn't mean I'm just going to take there word for. Unless they've seen it themselves or can point to factual evidence that it does.

And now someone has cited some evidence.

I'm more than happy to learn something new. I'm just not inclined to give much weight to hear say on its own.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #138
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Nothing new about the wrong graphite in some industrial pump packing applications causing issues. These issues tend to arise when inadequate flushing occurs. Just the conditions so many on TF seem to praise. That said, my comparing a low use boat shaft to a 24/7 industrial pump is silly. ASD did the right thing. He talked to a pro and ignored us.

A year ago I willingly replaced my flawless decade old PSS units with new, ignoring advice from many on TF. I know, I know just as ASD I
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #139
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
And to be clear, just because I posted that, doesn't mean I'm anti-GFO. In fact, I just installed it on my main shafts and will have it put on my rudder shafts once the snow melts. To me, it's worth any minor risk that the shafts might be inferior stainless and I just intend to monitor them.

After reading Steve D'Antonio's excellent description of how ABYC standards are promulgated (post 61 here: 6VDC Golf Cart Battery Question) it's easier to put them in their proper perspective.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #140
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
ASD did the right thing. He talked to a pro and ignored us.
LOL! Thanks but I did not ignore TF. I used the information you all gave me so I could properly repack the shafts. I did choose regular flax, but I did need you advice....

Granddad (very wise man) used to tell me accept all the advice you can get from those with knowledge and experience. Use what you can, trash the rest........

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote