Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Placard Placement

As I read the federal requirements, it appears that I'm required to have a pollution placard and a trash placard mounted on my vessel (over 26 feet). What I don't see is if there is a requirement on where these placards should be mounted. For example can I place the pollution placard in my engine compartment or does it need to be mounted somewhere more visible to anyone coming aboard? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I put the trash placard right on my trash can.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I've seen them inside lockers.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamup View Post
As I read the federal requirements, it appears that I'm required to have a pollution placard and a trash placard mounted on my vessel (over 26 feet). What I don't see is if there is a requirement on where these placards should be mounted. For example can I place the pollution placard in my engine compartment or does it need to be mounted somewhere more visible to anyone coming aboard? Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
They are supposed to be visible to all crew as I understand it. As such, they can't be hidden in lockers but must be visible. Now, I don't have them visible but will do so as soon as I am told to do so by a USCG boarding party.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Trash placard usually in galley or where trash is stored.

Oil placard is curious...no guidance...have seen and heard everything from above engine to above engineroom door to bilge pump switch/helm area. If pretty obvious placement, I bet you are OK. If paranoid, 2 or 3 spread around will work.

If your vessel is 12m or more, in the US you have to have a garbage plan too. Simple ones on the internet to copy.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The oil placard talks about discharge, so I mounted it above the oil change pump. Following that logic, trash placard at trash can, etc.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Guru

I am a CGAUX boat examiner and come across this often. I advise that the oil discharge placard be where someone going into or in engine room will readily see it. it can be elsewhere but hidden is defeating the purpose. The Marpol pollution placard can be in the open or readily visible in the garbage collection bin area,and If over 40 ft. a written garbage disposal plan document is also needed in similar locations.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Thank you. I appreciate everyone's response.
Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. J. Our oil discharge placard is in the ER just inside the door but I couldn't say for sure in spite of the fact I KNOW there's one there but I forget where exactly it is. The garbage placard is on the inside of the locker door where the garbage can is. Our trash disposal plan reads..."Trash will be taken ashore by the Captain and placed in appropriate containers".
Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I am a CGAUX boat examiner and come across this often. I advise that the oil discharge placard be where someone going into or in engine room will readily see it. it can be elsewhere but hidden is defeating the purpose. The Marpol pollution placard can be in the open or readily visible in the garbage collection bin area,and If over 40 ft. a written garbage disposal plan document is also needed in similar locations.

Thanks. Good information.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I advise that the oil discharge placard be where someone going into or in engine room will readily see it. it can be elsewhere but hidden is defeating the purpose. The Marpol pollution placard can be in the open or readily visible in the garbage collection bin area
That all makes sense, but is there any regulatory basis for it?
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
No regulated position I have ever come across
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
On my boat, it is Garbage sign on cabinet above the stove and Discharge sign in engine compartment. Both builder-installed.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
MP

Same on my boat. Sounds legal to me.
Bigsfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
That all makes sense, but is there any regulatory basis for it?
From The USCG / USPS Vessel Examination Manual...

10. ITEM #10 - POLLUTION PLACARD (Oil Pollution Prevention/Oily Waste Discharge) (33 CFR 151/155)
a. The Federal Water Pollution Control Act prohibits the discharge of oil or hazardous substances that may be harmful into U.S. navigable waters. Vessels 26 feet and greater in length, with machinery spaces, must display a placard, at least 5 by 8 inches, made of durable material, fixed in a conspicuous place in the machinery space or at the bilge pump control station, stating the following:

11. ITEM #11 - MARPOL PLACARD (Discharge of Garbage MARPOL Trash Placards) (33 CFR 151/155)
a. The Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships (MARPOL, Annex V) places limitations on the discharge of garbage from vessels. It is illegal to dump plastic trash anywhere in the ocean or navigable waters of the United States. It is also illegal to discharge garbage in the navigable waters of the United States, including the Great Lakes. The discharge of other types of garbage is permitted outside of specific distances offshore, based on the nature of that garbage.
b. United States vessels 26 feet or longer must display in a prominent location a durable placard notifying the crew and passengers of the discharge restrictions.

I consider any noticeable location in, near, on the way to the ER meeting the oil discharge.
I also consider inside a galley locker containing a trash can as complying w/ the "prominent location" requirement - I do not require owners place them on outside of cabinets.
I think those interpretations are consistent with the intent of the requirements - never heard of anyone being cited for having the placards but not displaying them adequately.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Conspicuous and Prominent. I have no idea how one determines what either of those two words means in this case. However, I think I know what isn't. If you're unlikely to ever see them, they definitely don't qualify. I suspect the most you'd ever get would be a suggestion of moving them.

We look at the intended purpose and that means to us the Pollution placard in the engine room where one changing oil or handling other fluids would see it. New boats seem very consistent in very noticeable engine room locations.

For garbage, seems like every boat is different. I see them by the helm, in the galley, and on the aft deck. The apparent arguments are helm because captain and crew will always see, galley because that's where you collect most of the trash, and aft deck because that's where you'd most tend to throw something overboard and need the reminder.

I've seen boaters who want to hide them because they don't like the looks of such placards. To me, it's a normal part of a boat and I just don't mind visibility of most placards.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fortunately for me, my boat's head is close to the ER door and it has a waste basket, so my placards are in the head for regular reference when contemplating such issues. It's a benefit to me, my crew and my guests. We all need something to read sometimes.

I was given an oil placard sticker which goes well on my aluminium fuel tanks near the laz hatch. I also store my spare ER diapers there.

It's passed 2 VSC checks with flying colors.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 AM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Good one, Al.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:29 AM   #19

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
From The USCG / USPS Vessel Examination Manual...
This is the most detailed answer I've seen -- but it also includes the following statement:

Quote:
5. DISCLAIMER. This Manual is guidance and is not a substitute for applicable legal requirements, nor is it itself a rule. It is intended to provide operational guidance for Coast Guard personnel and is not intended to nor does it impose legally binding requirements on any party outside the Coast Guard.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Must have been authored by a politician!

Bigsfish is online now   Reply With Quote