Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
RE: New poster, looking forward to joining you all ASAP

Virgina** I'm currently reading Calder also, pretty in depth stuff.* Didn't know the difference between superchargers and turbochargers (my son knew). *A lot of this stuff is way over my head (for now).* I want to get an overall concept of diesel operations so when I buy a boat I'll know*something about*the engines.* Like you said,*I think it's ok to wait until you have hands on before get to too deep into it.* Good luck with your search.** *

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Carey wrote:I have my doubts about galley down being the best option on that boat, but if I was wrong, it would be at least the second time.*
I'm solidly behind Carey on this one. One of the biggest reasons for living on a boat
is to be "close to the water." An "up galley" affords one that closeness. I've had
both over the years & my wife and I love the up galley.

Like Carey, I thought I might have made a mistake but going way back in time and
checking my decisions, I was, again, right!

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
New poster, looking forward to joining you all ASAP

Here ya go.... After Atlantic took over the Prairie molds, they called it the Atlantic 30 and did make some changes. One of them was a galley down. They seem to try to "inject" their powerboat wisdom/mentality and put twin engines in this particular boat. They boast 2.6gph at 7 kts. My boat with a single Perkins did 6.7kts at 1gph!!! Anyway, twins on this boat is idiotic although this particular example on YW is quite a nice boat.

PS...I can't help but have that song by Train running through my head..."Meet Virginia"....I am sure she knows it since it is her generation and her name is such. Good luck Virginia. I think your boat choice is excellent.... I have already had some suggestions of similar boats and will put more up here if I think of others.

-- Edited by Baker on Thursday 9th of December 2010 11:15:08 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pa30.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	3658  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #24
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
vjm wrote:

Those Californians are a nice option as well. I found a 30 in TN I liked enough to spend a few minutes trying to figure out what one of my kidneys would bring on the open market so I could buy it right now. Sigh...
Virginia
You peaked my curiosity with the kidney comment, so I did a little research. According to Kidneys online, the current economy has driven the majority of people to offer theirs at far reduced rates. The going price will not get you more than an eight foot plywood scow. I believe the going rate for a 30' Californian is an arm and a leg. Sorry...

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** As per Mr. Carey's cost comment.* Don't buy 2 that would leave you totaly armless without a leg to stand on.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #26
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Carey wrote:

*is an arm and a leg. Sorry...

I was in New york.

A fellow was talking about the cost of something being,*

A nominal egg.

About a week later i figured out what he ment.

SD**

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Carey wrote:I have my doubts about galley down being the best option on that boat, but if I was wrong, it would be at least the second time.*
I'm solidly behind Carey on this one. One of the biggest reasons for living on a boat
is to be "close to the water." An "up galley" affords one that closeness. I've had

Like Carey, I thought I might have made a mistake but going way back in time and

First I will put in the disclaimer that we do not live on our boat, though we spend at least two nights a week on it.*

When we first started looking at trawlers (coming from sailboats) we were looking at galley up and felt that was what we wanted.* When we stepped onto the boat we bought, we immediately fell in love with its galley down lay out.** When you step aboard you are in a spacious saloon with an L shaped settee and adjustable height / movable table.* We have even taken this table outside and used it on the sundeck.* The galley is three steps down and had an apartment size fridge.* Most of the galley ups we looked at had small under counter fridges.* We had the fridge and freezer packed to the gills for our five day thanksgiving trip and would not have wanted a smaller fridge.* Also with the galley down we don't have to look at a pile of dirty dishes or the*dish drying rack*in our "living room."** However I do agree that it is isolating to be down there cooking or cleaning.* You can't see the water and it is hard to interact with anyone else on the boat.**

Lots to think about!* Good luck on your search!* I agree that you will get PLENTY of help with your boat from your dock neighbors....

That reminds me of an observation*my husband made as we left the marina Sunday.* Basically that we*interact more with*people at our marina than our condo complex.**We*RARELY exchange more than a quick hello in passing with any of our condo neighbors.* On our dock, we regularly have conversations with our neighbors and often times get advice or help from them.* One fellow has a*cocktail party every Friday and the*whole dock is invited.**It really is a different lifestyle!*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
That reminds me of an observation*my husband made as we left the marina Sunday.* Basically that we*interact more with*people at our marina than our condo complex.**We*RARELY exchange more than a quick hello in passing with any of our condo neighbors.* On our dock, we regularly have conversations with our neighbors and often times get advice or help from them.* One fellow has a*cocktail party every Friday and the*whole dock is invited.**It really is a different lifestyle!*
That's my favorite part so far about having a (big) boat, I've met so many nice people.

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:Carey wrote:I have my doubts about galley down being the best option on that boat, but if I was wrong, it would be at least the second time.*

First I will put in the disclaimer that we do not live on our boat, though we spend at least two nights a week on it.*

When we first started looking at trawlers (coming from sailboats) we were looking at galley up and felt that was what we wanted.* When we stepped onto the boat we bought, we immediately fell in love with its galley down lay out.** When you step aboard you are in a spacious saloon with an L shaped settee and adjustable height / movable table.* We have even taken this table outside and used it on the sundeck.* The galley is three steps down and had an apartment size fridge.* Most of the galley ups we looked at had small under counter fridges.* We had the fridge and freezer packed to the gills for our five day thanksgiving trip and would not have wanted a smaller fridge.* Also with the galley down we don't have to look at a pile of dirty dishes or the*dish drying rack*in our "living room."** However I do agree that it is isolating to be down there cooking or cleaning.* You can't see the water and it is hard to interact with anyone else on the boat.**

Lots to think about!* Good luck on your search!* I agree that you will get PLENTY of help with your boat from your dock neighbors....

JenniferI hate to be wishy washy, but as in most things, there are so many perspectives. That being said, I have to agree with both you and Walt. For the very reason you state, I would not expect a thirty foot boat with galley down to have enough remaining space below to support a liveaboard lifestyle. But, in a larger boat, I can see that galley down certainly presents an esthetically pleasing salon (saloon) as opposed to the more cluttered galley up with the small refer. We have a 36' boat that in my mind would lose too much space in the forward cabin if we went galley down. Lobster boats are already challenged due to low freeboard/shallow draft. We would lose a bank of drawers, a large hanging locker, and reduced head and shower. And I am not giviing up my separate shower.
Every boat is a compromise in one or more areas, and we all just need to figure out what's most important to us. When we go out for multiple weeks, we just barely have enough for my clothes, and one change of clothes for my wife.* Then, there are all the toys. Books, computer, fishing gear, wood carving tools, wood to carve, all the extra PFDs, surplus canned goods, games, many boxes of tools, spare parts, safety gear in general, fire extinquishers (can't have too many on a boat), more dishes than we have at home, etc. I failed to mention a liberal supply of beer, wine and whiskey. Lots of whiskey.*

PS-We don't live aboard either, but I can definitely say that from spending a few weeks at time aboard, the boat we have now is not a liveaboard suitable boat for one, much less two people.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:42:22 PM
Old 12-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #30

Like 'Pineapple Girl' we have a galley down configuration now and love it. We have had the galley up , but don't like staring in the sink or at the stove when kicking back on the sofa. Best thing imho*is to come down to Florida for a few days and look at a bunch of boats; something will appeal to you. Find what pleases you, you know whaat they say about opinions being like belly buttons.
And....welcome.

-- Edited by Avista on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:44:50 PM
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Avista wrote:

Like 'Pineapple Girl' we have a galley down configuration now and love it. We have had the galley up , but don't like staring in the sink or at the stove when kicking back on the sofa. Best thing imho*is to come down to Florida for a few days and look at a bunch of boats; something will appeal to you. Find what pleases you, you know whaat they say about opinions being like belly buttons.
And....welcome.

-- Edited by Avista on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:44:50 PM
Bellybuttons. Why is it that I was thinking lower than that? Oh, never mind!!!

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 9th of December 2010 03:50:19 PM
Old 12-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -

Regarding galley position, I think once a boat gets large enough a down galley can be a real bonus.* The main cabin is more open with more room for people to sit or move about.*

The only boat I am personally *familiar with where the galley position is an option is the Grand Banks 46.* The GB46 used to be our dream boat-- it's not anymore--- but at one point we were considering a move up to one and*we did some pretty close examinations of a pair of them, one galley up and one galley down.* We decided the galley down setup was much better.*

However---- GB designed the down*galley so it is not cut off from the main cabin.* The galley is on the port side and there is open space between it and the main cabin--- the aft bulkhead of the galley does not go all the way up.* So someone working in the galley is still "connected" to the folks in the main cabin.

In a smaller boat, either a tri-cabin or europa/sedan, a down galley would either have to be extremely small or the already-small living space forward would have to be reduced even more to accomodate it.* A down galley would not be desirable on our boat, for example, a GB36.* And my wife likes the fact that when she's working at the stove or the galley counter on our boat she can see what's going on around us.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #33
FF
Guru

Galley down is great on a larger boat, as you cant hear the Galley Slave chains dragging.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #34
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Our Camano was galley down, the Monk is galley up we don't have a preference.
Friends listed galley up on their must have list when they were buying. they found a boat they both wanted, it was galley down. They bought the boat*but renamed it Galley UP!
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Friday 10th of December 2010 08:29:39 AM
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Virginia:

... you are going to have more help than you want!
That's become obvious, given the extent of responses*to this thread.* It also supports my theory that one should employ the female on board to make any needed Mayday or Pan calls.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #36
vjm

Thanks everyone! It is pretty clear to me that galley position is just one of those things you have to experience in person to see if it works for you on that particular boat. I can't tell if galley down on the Atlantic 30s means you give up the big hanging locker, so I think I just have to find one and walk around on it to get a sense of what works.

markpierce, that is a hilarious and excellent idea. Maybe there is a market for a recorded female mayday! Also, I love your boat. What a great design!
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #37
Master and Commander

Quote:
vjm wrote:

*I love your boat. What a great design!
Thanks, Vim.* I don't have any regrets.* It "drinks" six, "feeds" four and sleeps two comfortably in a double bed.* Kitchen is in the saloon, and the pilothouse, higher than*the saloon,*sits four.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 10th of December 2010 09:17:23 PM
Old 12-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #38
vjm

The Chapman's arrived today. I can see why people frequently tell someone who is dreaming of boating to go read it first, and then come back if they are still interested. There is enough here to keep me busy for all of winter break.

Better than most law textbooks though, since it has pictures.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #39
Master and Commander

Good book, but I find the contents and especially the*index-page references in error, as well as*picture or so printed upside down.* Gee, you'd think they'd get it right by the 66th edition.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #40
FF
Guru

"and sleeps two comfortably in a double bed"

Hope you have a bundeling board if the double is near the bow and you ever plan on anchoring ou

FF is offline   Reply With Quote