Old 12-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #21
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Been there. Thru the fridge out.

Yeah, once someone unplugged the bait fridge at a friends house over in the Bahamas. Next trip we came back it was full of roaches and other insects. Luckily it was in the garage separate from the house. Sealed up with gorilla tape and off to the dump it went!

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:11 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I still think the marina owed you more explanation. Why low voltage? How long? What are they doing to remedy things. I also think you should have been able to ask them to take steps to protect your boat.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"Maybe but they cost over $2000. "

With any alternate energy lifestyle , the load reduction almost always pays for the unit.

The Diesel is not efficient , alts are not efficient , battery charging has costs in energy and service life so a smart fridge can be a deal, even at 2 boat bucks.

A slip cottage , aground in its coffee grounds , might not find it useful, but folks that cruise just might.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #24
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Loss of AC dock power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
"Horribly wrong" would seem an exaggeration to me. Loss of dock power, water, etc. in a marina is not unusual and should be planned for.

They even notified him which is pretty good.
I meant horribly wrong with managing the power. I was assuming there are meters on the slips - simply turn off the over consumers. Use an IR meter or camera to find the offenders. Powering down the entire dock is lazy and poor management. It solves nothing and puts vessels at risk. The RC blew it.

Keith
Old 12-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Have seen it where private yacht clubs suffer power disruptions that nearby non yacht club marinas do not. Professional management vs membership elected ("Who wants to head the dock management committee this year, pour me another drink!").

This riposte aside, when away, why leave your fridge plugged in and potentially draining the batteries vs solely running off 110?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
I meant horribly wrong with managing the power. I was assuming there are meters on the slips - simply turn off the over consumers. Use an IR meter or camera to find the offenders. Powering down the entire dock is lazy and poor management. It solves nothing and puts vessels at risk. The RC blew it.

Keith
It's unfair to blame the marina without knowing exactly what is going on. It could be an external situation.

One should never consider electrical power to be 100% reliable over the long term. In most cases it is very reliable but you have storms, damage to underground cables, etc. and of course, problems unique to marinas.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #27
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
This has been an interesting thread.

I think that everyone who docks a boat at a marina should be prepared for an extended power outage. The power could be cut for maintenance work or some jerk could have kicked your power cord loose.

So don't leave perishable stuff in your fridge if you leave it on. And if you leave it on, many fridges can operate on AC or DC power. So trip your DC breaker so it won't drain your batteries down if the AC fails.

The other thing to do is to look for high amperage parasitic loads and reduce or eliminate them. I was glad to hear that modern CO detectors don't draw the 1 amp or so that older ones draw. It would be worth replacing an older one for that benefit.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #28
Guru

A friend had his boat in the slip and went away for a few hours. When he came back there was a boat in the slip beside him (transient) and the guy said "I unplugged your cord so I could plug mine in. I hope you don't mind."

Well, my friend did mind and told the guy so in no uncertain terms. He unplugged the new guy's boat and plugged his back in. He told the new guy to find another pedestal or move to another slip.

You never know what might happen.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Power can fail for extended periods as this situation illustrates, so I think the key is to be prepared. Protecting your batteries is probably most important, which means ensuring you have low voltage disconnects on devices. Losing the contents of a fridge, and even the fridge itself is probably cheaper than losing a battery bank.

Inverters I think all have LV disconnect, so the issue becomes the DC loads, starting with the largest. A DC fridge or freezer would be tops on the list. Even if turning it off doesn't cut all your DC loads, it will extend how long you can go before you start to really trash your batteries. If you have other significant DC loads, an LVD might make sense on them too.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #30
Guru

While I agree with being prepared which to me includes having someone there on site to assist, I'm also not letting the marina off as easy as some of you are. I've read in this thread somewhat casual statements regarding extended power failure. If it's power outage caused by a storm and the entire area without power, I can accept that. However, if it's not that then the other reasons are unacceptable meaning any power outage just at the marina. Here we've got a marina saying they shut the power off due to low voltage. What? What are they talking about? They have a responsibility to get it repaired, functioning quickly. This isn't a qualified "act of God" or any other disaster. It sounds like a marina with an inadequate power system or some other issue. I'd also expect them to check my boat for me daily and let me know how it's doing until they have their problem fixed.

To the OP, did you get any further explanation as to what is going on and why?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
While I agree with being prepared which to me includes having someone there on site to assist, I'm also not letting the marina off as easy as some of you are. I've read in this thread somewhat casual statements regarding extended power failure. If it's power outage caused by a storm and the entire area without power, I can accept that. However, if it's not that then the other reasons are unacceptable meaning any power outage just at the marina. Here we've got a marina saying they shut the power off due to low voltage. What? What are they talking about? They have a responsibility to get it repaired, functioning quickly. This isn't a qualified "act of God" or any other disaster. It sounds like a marina with an inadequate power system or some other issue. I'd also expect them to check my boat for me daily and let me know how it's doing until they have their problem fixed.

Do you know that the marina is slacking on this issue or are you just guessing? Is there a problem getting the electrician there quickly? Is there a failed component (transformer, special breaker, panel, etc.) that has to be ordered? Was it over a weekend or holiday when all the supply houses were closed? Did a storm or a runaway boat damage the dock or wiring?

I'll bet the slip lease does not guarantee uninterrupted electrical power 24/7. The OP is fortunate that they sent him a notice. They didn't have to do that and many would not have.

It's far to easy to blame someone who doesn't have the opportunity to tell his side of the story.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #32
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:

I agree. Being prepared doesn't let the marina off the hook for providing reliable power.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Do you know that the marina is slacking on this issue or are you just guessing? Is there a problem getting the electrician there quickly? Is there a failed component (transformer, special breaker, panel, etc.) that has to be ordered? Was it over a weekend or holiday when all the supply houses were closed? Did a storm or a runaway boat damage the dock or wiring?

I'll bet the slip lease does not guarantee uninterrupted electrical power 24/7. The OP is fortunate that they sent him a notice. They didn't have to do that and many would not have.

It's far to easy to blame someone who doesn't have the opportunity to tell his side of the story.
I don't know what the problem is and neither does the OP unless he's gathered more information. I'm still saying that unless there was a storm or major event, extended outages are not acceptable. I've always been in businesses where any outage was very expensive and can't get electrician there quickly, failed component that has to be ordered, weekend or holiday just would not have been acceptable excuses.

Perhaps the OP will get the rest of the story. So far we've just been told low voltage and that the marina shut the power off. So, clearly not a storm that knocked the power in the entire neighborhood off. Not a wreck that knocked the power off.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
I don't know what the problem is and neither does the OP unless he's gathered more information. I'm still saying that unless there was a storm or major event, extended outages are not acceptable. I've always been in businesses where any outage was very expensive and can't get electrician there quickly, failed component that has to be ordered, weekend or holiday just would not have been acceptable excuses.

Perhaps the OP will get the rest of the story. So far we've just been told low voltage and that the marina shut the power off. So, clearly not a storm that knocked the power in the entire neighborhood off. Not a wreck that knocked the power off.
I agree...especially as a liveaboard...long term, unexpected power and water outages are from just bad management/mintenance...unless an act of nature.

I have seen good marinas and bad. The bad can't blame anyone but themselves and if the can't get up to speed due to finances...at least let the slip holders know up front that they will be sub-par and should only charge accordingly.

And for those that think slips are individually metered....more aren't than are on the east coast (at least NJ and south) or pretty close.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I believe the op keeps his boat at a private yacht club. Sounds like something the general membership needs to take up at the next meeting.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #36
Guru

We just got back from the boat. We went aboard and the reefer was runnin' but the voltages on both banks were just below 11 volts. Gave the gen set a try...the starter cranked slower than usual but it was enough to get the "Westy" started. After an hour of runnin' both banks were topped off. The office now tells us it won't be till Tuesday for the fix. We gotta go down to the boat on Thursday for our New Year's Gala the batts should be okay. Some time ago I posited that we were over batteried and was thinkin' of pullin' two of them off. Thanks to you guys on the forum who talked me out of makin' what would've been a mistake.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
We just got back from the boat. We went aboard and the reefer was runnin' but the voltages on both banks were just below 11 volts. Gave the gen set a try...the starter cranked slower than usual but it was enough to get the "Westy" started. After an hour of runnin' both banks were topped off. The office now tells us it won't be till Tuesday for the fix. We gotta go down to the boat on Thursday for our New Year's Gala the batts should be okay. Some time ago I posited that we were over batteried and was thinkin' of pullin' two of them off. Thanks to you guys on the forum who talked me out of makin' what would've been a mistake.
Did they give any explanation?

See, to me, electricity doesn't have business days vs weekends. We use it every day. So this is at least a three day outage.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #38
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I believe the op keeps his boat at a private yacht club. Sounds like something the general membership needs to take up at the next meeting.
Can't speak to Ancora's YC setup, but some YCs own their own dock wiring and switchgear. At our marina the local utility is responsible for the ready kilowatts up to the on dock switchgear. Response time is 24/7/365. Never had an issue, but there is always a first time.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:29 PM   #39
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Could be something like a buck/boost transformer that burned up and power reconnected without it. Volts then low. Might just be waiting on parts.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Could be something like a buck/boost transformer that burned up and power reconnected without it. Volts then low. Might just be waiting on parts.
Might be, but I've never lived anywhere that those parts wouldn't be readily available.

I would guess everyone treading softly since it's a private club. The "Thou shalt not criticize" policy.