Longest nonstop passage on a powerboat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Even though I'm officially disqualified. :ermm:

We have many in the 600-700 nm range and we did about 950 between Bermuda and Fort Lauderdale (not taking shortest route due to sea conditions) but our longest is St. Thomas to Fort Lauderdale at 1000 nm. :)

Short trip compared to the Norfolk and Newport runs of others to the VI. :eek:

I have done two long distance deliveries, one on a Rawson 42 from Victoria, BC to Honolulu, and the other was a 75ft tour-boat, with 12V-71 engines, from Newport Beach to Honolulu. On both trips we carried extra fuel in 55 gal. drums. Boat trips were great.

In 1971-74 we did Yokosuka - Okinawa - Manila - Cam Rahn Bay - Singapore - Goldburn Island - Cairnes - Noumea - Fiji - American Samoa - Hawaii - Seattle on a 68' steel Defever built in Japan. Three legs over 2000 nm.

32' Fales Navigator Motorsailer: Lake Ontario to Bonaire and back. Longest single leg on water approx. 850 mile passage from Bonaire to Cuba
36' Kadey Krogen Manatee: SF CA to La Paz Mexico approx. 1600 miles straight through except for Mexican customs check in.

830nm Gibraltar to Genoa on a 49' Selene

MV dirona a 52 Nordhavn did 3640 NM from st Helena to Barbados in 2016. Check out their blog for a complete explanation.

Non stop passage

Norfolk to St Augustine. Offshore, non stop. Defever 49 CMY. For crew change only, then on to West End without any additional fuel.

I'm an OCC member and one of dozens of Nordhavn owners who have crossed oceans in our boats. My own longest non-stop passage was from Bermuda to the town of Horta on Faial island in the Azores, 1,828 nautical miles, a trip which took us 11 days at an average speed of 6.2 knots, including a stop mid-trip for a swim in the ocean. On that passage we burned 1,284 U.S. gallons, including generator usage, for an average 1.4 NM per gallon or 0.7 gallons per mile.

One of the longest Nordhavn non-stop passages, probably the very longest, was by James and Jennifer Hamilton aboard the N52 Dirona. I believe they were underway non-stop for about 40 days, using not only the fuel in their built-in tanks but also fuel in bladders strapped on deck. More information on them and their intrepid voyaging here: https://mvdirona.com/

If you want to cross oceans safely and comfortably in a trawler yacht, a Nordhavn can be a great choice. I've owned mine for 16 years, have cruised her 40,000+ NM, including an Atlantic crossing, and absolutely love her. Many of my fellow Nordhavn owners have circumnavigated in their boats. That includes my good friends Scott and Mary Flanders whose circumnavigation took them south of the five great capes, including Cape Horn. More information on their voyaging here: https://www.passagemaker.com/destinations/voyage-of-egret

Last edited:
On paper, we have the range, but my Admiral would be saying - OK you go - I will fly. See you there. Good luck.
PS - she does love our boat.
Longest we have done is 13 hours approx 91 nm.

Scott and Mary Flanders whose circumnavigation took them south of the five great capes, including Cape Horn. More information on their voyaging here: https://www.passagemaker.com/destinations/voyage-of-egret

Oh sure, they took the shortest route possible for a circumnavigation.

Seriously, these trips are impressive. Thanks for sharing. The MV Dirona guy's YT channel is amazing. There are several Nordhavn owners who's knowledge really snap my head back in awe.

Thanks for sharing -

Peter

Ok I'll start: We did about 250 dock to dock from Savannah to cape fear (outside). We did about 300 from Coinjock to cape may (up the chesapeake, overnight). Those are our longest runs I can think of...(outside of work)....

Come on braggerts! Beat that!
Before buying my Nordic tug I had several sailboats.
Cape Cod to Bermuda and back 36 foot Cape Dory 750 miles each way.
Chesapeake Bay to Tortola BVI several times 43’ & 44’ boat 1500 miles each way.
BVI to Bermuda to Cape Cod several Trips about 2250 total miles each time
Antigua to Horta 1700 miles, Horta to Gibraltar 1000 miles, Gibraltar to Tunisia with many stops along the way no guess as to number of miles. 44’ boat and got to log my longitude as east.

Seriously you are going to Vanuatu? What is your window. I want to go to the P.I. possibly next year. I will be leaving from Mobile and on a 41 foot sailboat. I know I wouldn't be able to keep up with you, but we both would be going in the same direction and be maybe an off and on flotilla. Vanuatu sounds good as a stop along my way.
What is your normal economical cruising speed.

Longest non-stop passage on a powerboat under 70 ft

Cool post. I'd just like to know who has done N.C. to Bermuda in a powerboat under 70 ft. That's only about 650 nm but still, I think an awesome passage. (my max so far is 410 from Grand Isle, LA to Sarasota, but I'm inspired to stretch that).

Almost?

Did 768 nm nonstop in my Cal 29 sailboat (Tampa to Houston) Oops, never was good at math!

George Buhler's "Idlewild".......Longest non stop passage by a motor yacht. She is 55' Aluminum. No stabilization system I believe. A Cattle rancher and his son had it built and ran it around the world

To my knowledge the longest passage by a pure power boat less than 70' was: (Quote from Soundings March 6 2007)

Idlewild normally carries 1,000 gallons of fuel for a range of almost 5,000 miles. She made the longest known non-stop power-cruiser passage during the circumnavigation: 4,495 miles from South Africa to Australia. She arrived in Australia with just 25 gallons of fuel left in the tanks, though Gray had stored reserve fuel.

Although we owned a motor sailor, we powered from Balboa, Panama to Acapulco, Mexico (to top off fuel--didn't stay overnight) (a bit over 1600 Nautical miles) and from Acapulco to San Diego, Main up to steady, (about 1800 Nautical Miles). Our passage from Fajardo, Puerto Rico to Cristobal Colon, Panama was under sail only and was about 1250 Nautical miles. Why the rush? Had to re-invest the money in a house within 4 years to avoid capital gains tax and it was May, getting close to hurricane season. Total was about 4600 miles in less than 30 days only over night stop was 2 nights in Panama. Unfortunately my logs from about 35 years ago have faded.

Longest non stop was under sail only was a common passage, Port de San Sebastian, La Gomera, Canary Islands to Bridgetown, Barbados, about 3400 miles in 17 days and 15 hours.

I wonder where Richard and dauntless is now last I recall he was in Alaska. He spent a lot of time in Florida to Boston To I think Portugal then Ireland then California.

My longest under sail was Mexico to the Marquesas, 3100m, then hopped a few long legs across the Pac then down to N.Z. Did a 6 day 7 hour run from Norfolk to Tortola BVI 1275m. Numerous runs from Cal to Baja to Panama, And So Cal to SF Bay under power. Longest Pure power run around 800 lovely miles.

Voyaging under power is a less laborious adventure, nice to not do multiple sail changes at night in crap conditions. Anyone that thinks true bluewater cruising is the same as a couple hundred miles offshore hasn't been there.
It is beautiful and unnerving at the same time.

HOLLYWOOD

To my knowledge the longest passage by a pure power boat less than 70' was: (Quote from Soundings March 6 2007)

Although we owned a motor sailor, we powered from Balboa, Panama to Acapulco, Mexico (to top off fuel--didn't stay overnight) (a bit over 1600 Nautical miles) and from Acapulco to San Diego, Main up to steady, (about 1800 Nautical Miles). Our passage from Fajardo, Puerto Rico to Cristobal Colon, Panama was under sail only and was about 1250 Nautical miles. Why the rush? Had to re-invest the money in a house within 4 years to avoid capital gains tax and it was May, getting close to hurricane season. Total was about 4600 miles in less than 30 days only over night stop was 2 nights in Panama. Unfortunately my logs from about 35 years ago have faded.

Longest non stop was under sail only was a common passage, Port de San Sebastian, La Gomera, Canary Islands to Bridgetown, Barbados, about 3400 miles in 17 days and 15 hours.
I did this same trip in reverse on a N57. SoCal to Ft Lauderdale with a stop in Acapulco for fuel and 2 days Panama for Canal transit. As you state, three roughly equal legs of 1500 nms each. I got beat-up a bit headed north in the Caribbean. I suppose you took your licks along Baja.

Peter

HOLLYWOOD: "Anyone that thinks true bluewater cruising is the same as a couple hundred miles offshore hasn't been there."

Not having crossed an ocean but having significant coastal experience, I agree with you. Even though being a couple hundred miles off may mean being several hundred miles from a viable port, the level of prep - especially mental prep - would seemingly be much different.

For me, I like Central America and the Caribbean a lot. Food is good, people are nice, weather is decent. There's more to see than I have years left. I have a strong calling to venture distances, just not anything across an ocean.

Peter

Voyaging under power is a less laborious adventure, nice to not do multiple sail changes at night in crap conditions. Anyone that thinks true bluewater cruising is the same as a couple hundred miles offshore hasn't been there.
It is beautiful and unnerving at the same time.

HOLLYWOOD

Showing your age there ;)
Does anyone do actual sail changes any more?
Seems most cruising boats I see now have furlers and some even in mast furling for the main.

Shyte sail shape so would never have been something I had......or that's what I tell myself.
Reality was I never had the budget.
Nah, reality is I could never accept shyte sail shape.

But yeah, long offshore passage for us with great coastal/race crew cost us on a Australia to New Caledonia run.
I was shattered after a very ordinary few days at the start so crashed out and woke several hours later airborne and being pummeled into the bulkhead of our cat.
Crew up top were having a great time launching off of waves doing low teens, water everywhere but handling it fine........until it wasn't.
Double reefed main and working jib and nek minute, reef point was gone, blew out full length of the main.

Had to do the run from Chesterfield reef to Nouméa with a main held together with electrical ties and gaffer tape.

All good, no one died and the main held together for another few months while there.

Last edited:
Two trips offshore of ~650nm, both to bring new boats (to me) back from Brisbane to Greenwell point, between 20 and 60nm offshore, to follow the East Australia current South. The current boat has a range of approximately 1,250 nm, and we do hope to make longer trips in the future.

Have very much appreciated this thread. Most encouraging as we transition from blue water sailing to voyaging under power. Thank you all. Especially good to hear voices similar to my own who are unapologetic about enjoying passage making.

Lot's of members here with some very impressive off shore experience. Best I can claim is one Newport to Bermuda race on a 33' Quest.

Not counting ships (I drive ships for a living).

Crossed the Atlantic several times on powerboats and sailboats.

Crossed the Pacific four times on powerboats, and a couple of times on sailboats.

M

I'm an OCC member and one of dozens of Nordhavn owners who have crossed oceans in our boats. My own longest non-stop passage was from Bermuda to the town of Horta on Faial island in the Azores, 1,828 nautical miles, a trip which took us 11 days at an average speed of 6.2 knots, including a stop mid-trip for a swim in the ocean. On that passage we burned 1,284 U.S. gallons, including generator usage, for an average 1.4 NM per gallon or 0.7 gallons per mile.

[/URL]

Sorry to be picky but have planned that trip and will do it one day so was a bit surprised seeing your time vs. speed. 6.2 knots for 1828 nm translates to 294.8 hours or 12.3 days. Do your numbers contain a combination of speed over water and land distance or something or were you going closer to 7 knots (6.9+)?

We haven't done it but our plan is 12 knots and some variation off shortest distance so 1900 nm and 7 days.

Sorry to be picky but have planned that trip and will do it one day so was a bit surprised seeing your time vs. speed. 6.2 knots for 1828 nm translates to 294.8 hours or 12.3 days. Do your numbers contain a combination of speed over water and land distance or something or were you going closer to 7 knots (6.9+)?

We haven't done it but our plan is 12 knots and some variation off shortest distance so 1900 nm and 7 days.
For some reason, these types of trips are sometimes difficult to back into the numbers. The Willard Boat Owners Group has extensive files, including a 1987 letter from an owner of a W36 to Willard Marine describing his trip from San Diego to Hawaii. Owner states it took 14 days and he burned 335 gallons diesel. It's about 2200-2300 nms - meaning 6-1/2 kt avg burning 1 gph. I don't believe it. I believe the boat made it to Hawaii, and because that model haa 300 gal tanks, and he carried three bbls on deck, I believe he knows how much diesel he burned. But I don't believe 14 days as it means 6.5 kts which, and certainly not at 1 gph at that pace. I would believe 16 days and 6.0 kts with a favorable push and using his very modest sail plan, but then he burned under 0.9 gph, which I still not believe. Something doesn't quite add up. I chalk it up to pre-GPS and numbers were a bit more "round"

I delivered a half dozen N47s to flee California tax jurisdiction. Not a particularly fast boat (comparatively speaking - all relative in the world of FD). But 6.2 kts caught my eye too as being a bit slow, as did the fuel consumed at close to 1300 gals, about 85% of design capacity. That would mean the boat would need a bladder to reach Hawaii, the longest leg of a circumnavigation, a design mandate for PAE . I would guess BandB's math of 6.9 kts is right which means that slowing to 6.0 kts would give range to Hawaii.

No disrespect intended to the N47 owner. I've been guilty of the same type of math. For the longest time, I recounted moving a N57 from Dana Point to Ft Lauderdale (two stops over the 4400 nms delivery) and averaging 9-1/4 kts. But a while back I found my original logs and it was actually closer to 8-3/4 kts. Still fast, but a material overstatement

Regardless, an impressive trip. It's really amazing that Nordhavns come out of the box with this type of capability. I have a cabin with a 250 gal propane tank. I often wonder how PAE fit six of them in a 47 foot boat.

Peter

What’s your opinion on how to view the miles per gallon reported in the addendum in the back of “Voyaging under Power”? Appendix C. It’s owner supplied and date of passage isn’t mentioned so one cannot know if current navigation instruments and flow gauges were used. Still would think if you averaged numbers for a particular engine/boat they wouldn’t be too far off. Do you agree?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom