Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #21
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
Also, an auto parts store will typically carry any screw on filter you might need. You can get a Carquest filter that matches a Sierra model for much less than what you'd pay in WestMarine.
I have heard this so often then watched as i was told stories of buying new engines etc. because of useing non marine grade products in a marine power system. The fact is they cost more because they are not the same even though they look the same. I know this for fact with electrical and engine components but not with a filter. But the bottom line is do you want to risk your life to save a dollar?

IF IT ISNT LABELED FOR MARINE USE IT IS NOT SUITABLE. Your insurance company will reject any claim submitted if it finds out the cause of the damage was caused by the use of non marine parts
__________________
Advertisement

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Needed some connectors (cable to terminal) to wire the new battery charger for the boat. Thirty-mile round trip to town (Tallahassee), went to Lowe's and they didn't have what I needed. Went to Ace Hardware. Ditto.

Finally gave up. About a half mile from home on the return trip I noticed a nondescript little NAPA place by the side of the road. Sure didn't think he would have the connectors, but worth a try.

Lord, he had all kinds of connectors! No problem at all with getting the ones that I wanted, and he even crimped them on the cables for me at no charge.

As I said -- lesson learned. :-)

John

The lesson learned should be if its not marine rated it dosent belong in your boat. Marine electrical connectors are not the same as automotive connectors they are made to resist a salt water environment and will last longer. Buy the west marine it may save your life.
__________________

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I have heard this so often then watched as i was told stories of buying new engines etc. because of useing non marine grade products in a marine power system. The fact is they cost more because they are not the same even though they look the same. I know this for fact with electrical and engine components but not with a filter. But the bottom line is do you want to risk your life to save a dollar?

IF IT ISNT LABELED FOR MARINE USE IT IS NOT SUITABLE. Your insurance company will reject any claim submitted if it finds out the cause of the damage was caused by the use of non marine parts
your last two posts crack me up....shows a complete lack of understanding both the marine environment and the marine business.

stick with reading forums and walking the docks....the boat mags have thoroughly polluted your mind as to what reality is.

I don't care if you believe me or are offended.

I'm sure there's plenty of other opinions...lets just wait and see....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
While there are certainly some items that are worth paying the "marine" price for---- for example if we were to put the same radar/plotter our new Subaru Forester has into our GB I know for a fact it would not hold up nearly as well as the "marine" Furuno unit we have on the boat---- I think there are many, many cases where there is no need to buy the component in the bag that says "marine" on it.

And many of the basic electrical connectors, terminal strips, etc. carried by the marine electrical shop we use in Bellingham are identical to the same components carried in the auto parts or electronic stores in town. We buy these components from the shop because we like supporting him, not because the connectors he sells are better or different than what can be obtained elsewhere.

From paint brushes to stainless fasteners to wire to switches to filters to many other odds and ends, we do not buy "marine" labeled components. The Baldwin filters we use on our engines and generator are not "marine" filters. They are just Baldwin filters the right size for the application. The six 6vdc golf cart batteries in our boat are not "marine" batteries, they are just wet-cell, 6vdc golf cart batteries. The AC/DC Norcold refrigerator/freezer on our boat is not a "marine" refrigerator, although it is listed by the company as a marine/RV refrigerator.

This is not to say that it is never necessary to buy a product or component that is labeled as "marine." I think it's a matter of common sense and learning when the properties that make a product "marine" are important to have and when they aren't. And learning when a product is "marine" only by virtue of the labeling on the package and the associated price tag.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
Sorry Mr. 4445, I disagree.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
your last two posts crack me up....shows a complete lack of understanding both the marine environment and the marine business.

stick with reading forums and walking the docks....the boat mags have thoroughly polluted your mind as to what reality is.

I don't care if you believe me or are offended.

I'm sure there's plenty of other opinions...lets just wait and see....
I'm afraid my experiance with engines is not in the forums like yours may be but based upon personnal experiance listening to complaints from people when i worked for epa. My last experiance was when a guy i met was working on his friends boat and was going to o riellys for a part and i cautioned him. He didnt want to pay three hundred dollars for what he said was the same part he could get at o riellys for 60 bucks. End result, stripped ring gear requireing pulling the engine to repair. Marine spec is for a reason, ignore this spec and you will eventually pay.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
Nah, this one is too easy ...
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #28
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
Oh come on, Rick. It's right there in front of you on a silver platter.

Or if you like sports metaphors, it's a slow ball right down the middle.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Nah, this one is too easy ...
Aw come'on Rick....it's waterfowl season where I am....pull the trigger!!!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Marin....that's scary...get outta my head...

A year ago I didn't think we agreed on anything...now it's too weird.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #31
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
................... Your insurance company will reject any claim submitted if it finds out the cause of the damage was caused by the use of non marine parts
BS perpetuated by boating forums.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #32
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
And I wonder who the guilty parties usually are?????

Those guy with a few hundred hours a year????

.... or the guys with a thousand hours per year that have to run boats that are in all kinds of states of disrepair and jury rigged. .... because that's what the commercial marine industry sometimes expects out of a captain...to know the difference between textbook and reality.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #33
Guru
 
City: coos bay
Country: usa
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
BS perpetuated by boating forums.
no, that is what the insurance adjuster informed me of when he was investagating a claim i had placed for freezing damage in Feb 1991. Don't take my word, call your marine insurance agent and ask him/her. It may have changed since then
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #34
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
no, that is what the insurance adjuster informed me of when he was investagating a claim i had placed for freezing damage in Feb 1991. Don't take my word, call your marine insurance agent and ask him/her. It may have changed since then
Freezing damage is not a result of product...it's a result of methodology or lack of...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #35
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
When the boat is left unattended for extended periods of time ( sometimes for months) we leave 5 table fans, in various areas, running 24/7 for ventilation purposes and to discourage mold. Works quite well. Nary a bad odor or trace of mold in the last 5 years.
Now, we bought a new set of fans at Ace Hardware for ~$20 ea. about 2 or 3 years ago-there has been 1 failure.
West Marine lists a table fan for $99. Neither ours nor WM's (as far as I can tell from the catalog) are labelled marine and it seems both would do the same job. Surely WM wouldn't be selling non marine items but you tell me Mr. 4445, $100 or $500?
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #36
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,573
Does anyone else have the suspicion most filters are made by one manufacturer and sold under a range of brands?
But, I imagine most of us play it safe and go for something we think is from a reputable maker, if not OEM. It is not worth the risk. I use Baldwin, a previous mechanic did and the engine stayed together.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #37
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,154
Lest we forget, Baldwin is a born and bred American company. (Not like that means something to EVERYONE here... our international community and all. ya' know)
__________________
2000 Navigator 4200 Classic
(NOT a trawler)
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
PSNEELD ask Ford about cheap oil filters, costing them $ on cam variator issues due to cheap filters.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
bluebyu's Avatar
 
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 302
I for one called the battery manufacture before the purchase of new batteries. Spoke with the Engineering department.

Marine batteries are in fact different.

They told me they install a different label, the label says marine grade. And, nothing else.
bluebyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #40
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat View Post
PSNEELD ask Ford about cheap oil filters, costing them $ on cam variator issues due to cheap filters.

I never said use cheap filters...funny how some people with limited scope always want to insert their opinions into your posts.....

I just said the marine brand filters/OEM may not be the best filter you can buy or that it's worth OEM/marine when there is a similar product.

I'm an educated consumer...not a sheep...
__________________

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012