Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

City: Alameda
Kha Shing/Spindrift 40 Comments

Hi:

I'm looking at a Kha Shing/Spindrift 40 and wondered if anyone has experiences with this boat. I thought the general build quality (and wiring) looked good. The boat is relatively tall for a 40 footer so any comments on how she handles underway would be very useful. I did check the tanks and luckily I could not see any rust on top, in front, or on the bottoms. I could not see the tank side against the hull. Engines are twin Volvos TAMD 40A with 1800 fresh water hours.

Thanks!!!

dfharris02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #2

City: Alameda
Post Kha Shing is Trader in Europe

It turns out that Kha Shing yachts are successful in Europe with a line of boats branded under the name "Trader". The write ups are generally very positive (built quality, safety on deck, and sea keeping) and they sell many models. Here are two great articles to download, one a review of the Trader 41+2 (our Kha Shing/Spindrift 40 with a third cabin) and a history on the line published by Kha Shing. www.tradermotoryachts.com/ClassicTraders.pdf

They have not done themselves any favors from a branding perspective by having so many different names for the products. The boats appear to be very consistent which is more important than brand consistency, except for resale.

dfharris02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #3

My 52' Kha Shing was built like a tank and I'd still have it if it weren't for the great Avalon storm around New Years in 2014. She lost her mooring and ended up on the beach, destroyed. I loved that boat. Had the Volvos 6 cylinders. Very efficient and extremely solid. Great room and layout. I enjoyed looking at all the solid Teak framing that the boat was built with (solid FRP hull).
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We have a PT-52 (essentially a Kha Shing) and love it. Great vessel that has been to Long Beach, CA and back to Seattle on its own bottom 2x without any drama.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote