Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Properly prepped and coated aluminum boats will outlast steel or wood boats and with MUCH less maintenance. Not sure what has caused negative feelings for aluminum boats here, I suspect some experience with stray grounds which cannot be tolerated on an aluminum boat. Otherwise it’s a perfectly acceptable building material for boats.

Attachments

• ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 138
Properly prepped and coated aluminum boats will outlast steel or wood boats and with MUCH less maintenance. Not sure what has caused negative feelings for aluminum boats here, I suspect some experience with stray grounds which cannot be tolerated on an aluminum boat. Otherwise it’s a perfectly acceptable building material for boats.

Well I could counter with properly prepped and coated timber boats etc etc as there are numerous examples of 100 year old timber getting around but not aluminium of that vintage.

My negativity is not really negativity as such but is based on 15 years in the aluminium ship industry building and then repairing slowly dissolving boats many of them less than 10 years old, some less than 2 and yes, !like any material, lack of understanding and maintenance was the issue.
Almost any coating that gets water under it gets corrosion.
Maintenance with painted versions far outweighed maintenance on raw versions but people want pretty.
No coating = considerably less corrosion and considerable less initial and ongoing cost.
Stray current from everything everywhere is a killer.

Funnily enough when I built our last boat, even though aluminium would have been easier for me, I chose epoxy composite.
No material is perfect but some are more perfect than others.

Victoria

Attachments

• IMG_6020.jpg
    IMG_6020.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 164
Yeah I can’t imagine coming into the dock in that thing with a big crosswind. I would need 20 people on deck and on the dock to fend me off.

It says there is an articulating rudder, but there are no photos of it. The Kitchen and other types of hinged rudders have always fascinated me as an aid to maneuvering single engine boats and I was hoping the broker would show it.

There is a photo of it in the YW listing now, so it may be a recent add.

It’s the warmth, quietness, fairness, economy and beauty that’s lacking in most metal boats. And an aluminum boat needs to last 150 years to pay for the material. Mostly people just don’t like it and mostly it’s looks. What do you want .. a boat that has class or one that lasts 150 years? Remember this is yachting.

3100+gal fuel? Assuming reasonable efficiency, you could go up and down the east coast of the US at least 3 times. Someone's gonna have to find a longer coast. 3100 gals of fuel is an "investment." I doubt if you can get far enough out (3 miles) to pump out the sanitary tank.

I will admit even if I were younger and had the money, I could appreciate the boat but, I would not consider it. Just too big for me.

All that room and no mention of crew quarters. SHRUG

If you read the builders website it was “inspired by the Annapolis Boat Show in Fort Lauderdale”.

If you read the builders website it was “inspired by the Annapolis Boat Show in Fort Lauderdale”.

Now now, just because he apparently thinks the Annapolis Boat Show is in Ft Lauderdale doesn't mean he can't build a beautiful, sturdy boat. It just means you better give him specific direction to where you want your brand new boat delivered or maybe ride with him.

3100+gal fuel? Assuming reasonable efficiency, you could go up and down the east coast of the US at least 3 times. Someone's gonna have to find a longer coast. 3100 gals of fuel is an "investment." I doubt if you can get far enough out (3 miles) to pump out the sanitary tank.

I will admit even if I were younger and had the money, I could appreciate the boat but, I would not consider it. Just too big for me.

All that room and no mention of crew quarters. SHRUG

Built for the northern passage around Canaduh. :socool:

IMG_1523121240.980481.jpgIMG_1523121254.178186.jpgIMG_1523121274.376469.jpg

Not a trawler but interesting nevertheless.

Two reproduction Biloxi Schooners were built for the Biloxi Maritime Museum say about 20 years ago. They were built here at the yard where I am for maintenance. This one was here for its two year USCG inspection. Found the keel step for the forward mast was rotted so they cut it out and scarfed in a new one then re-stepped the mast. Also did regular maintenance and a paint job. Beautiful working boats that regularly take honors at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival.
Engine is a Detroit 4-71.

In the age of sail these types of boats saw service as fishing vessels or cargo ships running to Veracruz in Mexico for instance. Their shallow draft permitted trade in smaller ports and rivers.

Two Topless Girls

http://seattle.craigslist/kit/boa/6526685992craigslist:

This boat is interesting to some degree for the obvious reason but the fact that we have very own topless girl here on TF in the form of Bob Coffer’s GB makes it more interesting yet. It seems more people aren’t inthralled w the FB.
Let me know if you can see this add. I can’t.
Apparently posting CL adds is beyond my capability.

Anyway it’s an add for a GB32 for sale locally and it is sans FB. Don’t see them every day so I tried to share.

Last edited:
Eric,

The ad doesn’t work. Is it the one with the blue bulwarks or is it Ebbtide?

I cant get to the ad. One question, if I buy the boat, does she come along with the boat?
I am told there is a charter fishing boat out of Ft Lauderdale that has a totally naked woman as a crew member. I have no idea how this young naked lady affects the fishing or if anyone notices when the fishing is bad.

Honey, I have good news and bad news for you. The good news, you get to continue to live onboard the boat. The bad news, I sold the boat.

Depending upon the couple, that can be written either way. SMILE
----------------------

I am told of a middle age couple who returned to the dock behind their house, near Stuart. The wife said something to the effect, "It was a great trip but, I never want to do something like that again." The husband put her ashore, got her situated in the house with all her stuff, got back on board, untied and left.

Last edited:
Bob yes she’s got blue bulwarks. Did you know about it? I just stumbled on it in CL. With just a glance anyone can tell she dosn’t compare w Ebtide. By the way did you know there is a book by Frank Yerby titled “Floodtide”. We’re having lunch in Fairhavan tomorrow. Sure miss that used boat stuff store.

I forgot where I posted this. Had to go look’in.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 149
Where’d they find a yellow fender ball?
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a yellow one.

Big metal cruiser looks like a home build/design.

Last edited:
No mention of water tank capacity.
350 gallons of fuel? My AT carries 400 gallons.
Personally, I'd like more interior wood. Bring in the warmth.

Dan,
400 gallons .. do you have a deck lawn to water?

I think he's talking about the fuel tank for a 380hp beast lurking inside his 34' hull :eek:

Murray,
Indeed ... by the 20hp per gal rule that would be 18gph WOT. Beast yes.
There’s a Willard 30 running around w an 80hp Cummins 4cyl.
A lotta guys sure like their beasts.

Thank you S of F, Soo many the same color.

Dan, sorry I misread that. Even I have 100gal of water.

Last edited:
Eric, I though you were an Alaskan. I bought a pair of bright yellow fenders in Ketchican. I used them to keep the tubes on my dinghy clean by fending them away from the davit arms.

Back
Top Bottom