Old 06-03-2016, 01:41 AM   #1

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
"Gates" on the Inside Passage

I got to Ketchikan yesterday after cruising up from Anacortes over the last two and a half weeks. No weather delays, although we took advantage of a weather window and rounded Cape Caution (Queen Charlotte Sound) a day earlier than expected. Same thing at Dixon Entrance.

The PNW is divided into several different cruising areas, with gates between them. These gates include the Strait of Georgia, the rapids north of Desolation Sound, Johnstone Strait, Queen Charlotte Sound, and Dixon Entrance.

At each of the gates I flew the drone and took video. It's neat to show people how these much-feared areas actually look much of the time. Neither the rapids nor the major crossings on the Inside Passage need to be feared. Respected, yes, but not feared.

I cobbled together the video today and put it on Youtube. Perhaps some of you will enjoy it. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/g1N1EaoUGNo
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Nice thanks for posting
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney
So very neat.
A drone in the hands of the right user is a great tool and the music is such a good fit.

Ok, I know it's just water, but I bet we all have areas that just pull at us.
This is mine and I went through 2 large mugs of coffee watching that, over and over and over.

I chuckled at the piece from Dent into Cordero with the all the ducklings following in nice neat little line.

I can hardly wait for Gates II showing the other normal conditions.

Thank you.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Great video! Like Hawgwash, I appreciate the nice vids of those cruising grounds.

BTW, good job on wearing the PFD in Queen Charlotte sound while on the boat deck flying the drone.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
But, no drone footage is available when the gates are closed due to higher winds. Yup, be careful of the gates.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #6

City: Memphis TN
Very nicely done, may I ask what kind of drone you have. Thinking of getting one myself.
Tim Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
BTW, good job on wearing the PFD in Queen Charlotte sound while on the boat deck flying the drone.
Yep, it only seemed prudent! I actually was wearing an inflatable belt pack in all the other videos. When it got a little bumpier I put on the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hendrickson View Post
Very nicely done, may I ask what kind of drone you have. Thinking of getting one myself.
DJI Phantom 3 Standard. I found it online for $399 (can't find it that cheap now). At that price I'd be bummed but not devastated if I sunk it. So far I've clocked about 10 hours of flight time, most from the boat, and I'm still amazed at how intuitive and stable the thing is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
But, no drone footage is available when the gates are closed due to higher winds. Yup, be careful of the gates.
Nope, like today on Dixon Entrance. Environment Canada is calling for south 35-45 building to 40-50 knots, with 3-5 meter seas. A good day to catch up on laundry here in Ketchikan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I chuckled at the piece from Dent into Cordero with the all the ducklings following in nice neat little line.
I had the 8 boats I was traveling with, plus several more, fall into line behind me. We nailed the timing—a little visible current at Gillard, about 1.5 knots pushing us along. Totally calm at Dent.

A few people in the group asked, "what rapids?" I had to show them videos of when they're running so they take them seriously on the way south!
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Thank you Sam for your posts. I have enjoyed following your group. I have made the trip north from Puget Sound to Alaska a number of times and never saw the water as calm as you have, especially in Johnstone.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
Guru

We had some of our Predicted Log racers go up there to compete in a contest. They came back shakin' their heads on the high currents they encountered. Thanks to your video I got some idea of what they were up against.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Thanks for the great video. I've shown my wife some of the vids of the gates when they were in full flow and not passable.

It's nice for her to be able to see the gates at slack water.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
We had some of our Predicted Log racers go up there to compete in a contest. They came back shakin' their heads on the high currents they encountered. Thanks to your video I got some idea of what they were up against.
Those waters in the video were very benign as intended, to show the lack of risk.

This is the other end of the scale

https://youtu.be/qA2icvYZjXg

https://youtu.be/hVlJTKTW6rQ

https://youtu.be/gNXDgFUzq8w
Old 06-03-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Sam, looks like the weather may keep you in Ketch a few more days. The 84 bouy is read 25k with gusts to 50k.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nostra Casa
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler 44
Smile Great Video - Thanks

We are making the trek in July and your video adds to the excitement.
kwestby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

At each of the gates I flew the drone and took video. It's neat to show people how these much-feared areas actually look much of the time. Neither the rapids nor the major crossings on the Inside Passage need to be feared. Respected, yes, but not feared.

I cobbled together the video today and put it on Youtube. Perhaps some of you will enjoy it. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/g1N1EaoUGNo
Thanks for sharing! That was amazingly impressive, especially if you an amateur. Everything about it was absolutely first rate. Not just the editing or the music, but even how you selected the perfect conditions.

What drone do you fly? In your opinion, what is the ultimate consumer drone?
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #15
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Thanks so much for the great video. Been flying R/C aircraft for well over 45 years and am awe struck at the technology of the Quads. So stable and easy to fly. Keep up the good work, and look forward to future chapters of this trip.

We are in Blind Channel waiting on the winds to subside on Johnston Straight. Spent the night a few days ago in Shoal Bay, what a hoot! Nice pub with great people! Could have spent a few more days there, but promised the Admiral a dinner at a restaurant. Just got back from a hike to see the 800 year old Red Cedar, darn impressive!
Cheers!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief;
Spent the night a few days ago in Shoal Bay, what a hoot!
Shoal Bay, like so many of our little nicks in the landscape has a colorful history. Fortunes to failures, hard hats to hippies.
LOOKING BACK: There’s gold in them island hills - Campbell River Mirror

Mark has endured longer than most and without folks like these, who somehow relish the 8 months of winter with 8-10 hours of daylight, there would be no Government dock for the Nordies, KKs and Flemings. Support them and don't take your scotch to town.

Anyone near there, first week of August should take in the Shoal Bay International Music Festival. Now that's a hoot.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #17
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Nice work, Sam. Next time we head up that way I'd like to take enough time to "pull over" and get drone shots of the rapids in full force.
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Still have hotcakes every morning at Soal Bay?

Crusty Chief,
I think there's a resturant in Eco Cove. Next one north is Shearwater unless things have changed. Possibly Duncanby Landing too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote