ASD 2019 Alaska Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you get tired of the PMN dock, you could move up to Clam Cove on Nigei island, which has good protection from all winds and is 17 miles from Cape Caution. We use it a lot, both going up and down.

Ken, I'm having trouble finding Clam Cove on the chart. I'm passing by there in a few days on the way to SE AK, and I'd like to check it out. Is it just north of Port Alexander? If so, I assume it's a one boat harbor?

Found it on Google maps. not named on my marine charts either......:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 7.15.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 7.15.37 AM.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 82
Delfin, That's the spot...thanks, Mike. Very good cover, and handy for going up. Maybe 4 miles from Pine Island. You're a big boat and it's narrow going in. There's enough water for you at low tide if you're careful and go slow, but for your size, a mid tide or better would be best. Once you're inside, there's ample room for maybe four big boats.

Delfin, That's the spot...thanks, Mike. Very good cover, and handy for going up. Maybe 4 miles from Pine Island. You're a big boat and it's narrow going in. There's enough water for you at low tide if you're careful and go slow, but for your size, a mid tide or better would be best. Once you're inside, there's ample room for maybe four big boats.

Thanks Ken. We sometimes go into God's Pocket, although last year stayed in Miles Inlet waiting for a snorter to settle down before rounding Cape Caution, so it's nice to have another option. Currently in Johnstone Strait headed for Port McNeill, and you could water ski in the Strait today it is so calm. Never seen it like this before, although it will no doubt get a bit breezier after the marine layer burns off. Again, much obliged.

The blog from Port McNeill to Prince Rupert has been updated with lots of pictures.

We had it all! Genny break down, waterfalls, crab and lots of BEARS! Up close.

Update on Butedale. All the old buildings have been bull dosed down. There is a new dock.

Here are a few pics. Butedale 1st.

Check out the blog

Attachments

• IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4739.jpg
    IMG_4739.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4978.jpg
    IMG_4978.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 54
Tom, interesting read in your blog about meeting up with mama bear and her 3 cubs. I think GW would have been running across the water if we were that close to a mama with cubs.

Great pics and a good read all the way through. Keep 'em coming.

Oh and I forgot to tell everyone we were boarded by the USCG!!! First time. I had to laugh they wanted to see the inside of the boat. They were very very professional. They loved the train horns.

Heading up Clarance Strait to Myers Chuck. Nice awesome seas!20190601_121015.jpeg

Myer's Chuck is one of the cuter places in SE but there's not much to do there. We lived in Thorne Bay 6 miles across the channel and only went there twice. Quite a few friendly Alaskan people live there .. in the summer. Only a few peeps there in the winter. As I recall somebody makes cinnamon rolls for transient boats though.

Attachments

• 259744_234335599916345_7459970_o copy.jpg
    259744_234335599916345_7459970_o copy.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 50
We are in Wrangell. We stopped for the night in Thoms Place. Hot spot for Dungies....NOT! Pots empty....I hope it gets better.

Commercial crabbing is big in the Wrangell area, which didn't help your efforts at Thoms.

Weren't you and Crusty at Wrangell for the 4th of July last year? They always have a big hoopla there.

Commercial crabbing is big in the Wrangell area, which didn't help your efforts at Thoms.

Weren't you and Crusty at Wrangell for the 4th of July last year? They always have a big hoopla there.
Yes we were. Fireworks in the fog and rain! Still a great time....

We are leaving Wrangell this morning and heading to Redbluff Bay, then later Sitka. Be off grid for a few weeks.

This happened last night. This is going to be fun getting out of the moorage.

Attachments

• 20190604_190930.jpg
    20190604_190930.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190604_190915.jpg
    20190604_190915.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 53
We are leaving Wrangell this morning and heading to Redbluff Bay, then later Sitka. Be off grid for a few weeks.

Can't complain about the seas. Smooth water ahead, Wrangell to the sternView attachment 8979120190605_093216.jpeg

Oh boy! Now onto Xmas Tree lane, be safe you guys!

Look for us in Chatham the next couple of days. We are heading south towards Wrangell, Tenakee Inlet tonight, maybe Warm Springs or Takatz tomorrow night.

Tom

We enjoyed meeting Tom, and Kay in Wrangell yesterday. The photos are of them departing Wrangell this morning. We hope to see more of them along the way.

I found the Ilwaco article @ Coast River Business Journal 3/12/19.

Attachments

• DSCN1968.jpg
    DSCN1968.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN1969.jpg
    DSCN1969.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Actually, it was 2 years ago. And even though the rain and fog dampened the fireworks show, the parade and other festivities the following day made up for it. Nothing like a small town to go all out to celebrate the holiday.

Actually, it was 2 years ago. And even though the rain and fog dampened the fireworks show, the parade and other festivities the following day made up for it. Nothing like a small town to go all out to celebrate the holiday.

John, What's happening on your Mexico trip preparations?

Ken,
Were in Portland now doing final prep. If all gets done, we start the trip end of the month.
Probably spend a few days at Tom & Kays dock in Longview, since it isn’t being used.
Cheers

We enjoyed meeting Tom, and Kay in Wrangell yesterday. The photos are of them departing Wrangell this morning. We hope to see more of them along the way.

I found the Ilwaco article @ Coast River Business Journal 3/12/19.

Dave, I saw you passing our home on your departure from Ketchikan. We live abeam of Pond Reef marker. Your were bucking a Westerly. Told the wife, damn, I really hope he is a single without a chief mate or admiral on board bucking that wind and chop. Did it mellow past Camano? usually the case. Will keep an eye out for your South bound leg, meanwhile keep an eye on Tom and his crab pots.

Not often one has a target to use on departure. You struck a bulls eye apparently.:smitten:

Dave, I saw you passing our home on your departure from Ketchikan. We live abeam of Pond Reef marker. Your were bucking a Westerly. Told the wife, damn, I really hope he is a single without a chief mate or admiral on board bucking that wind and chop. Did it mellow past Camano? usually the case. Will keep an eye out for your South bound leg, meanwhile keep an eye on Tom and his crab pots.

Nope, Al, we hammered all the way to Tolstoi Pt.. Good thing Thorne bay has lots of fresh water, and no restrictions on boat washing.

Nope, Al, we hammered all the way to Tolstoi Pt.. Good thing Thorne bay has lots of fresh water, and no restrictions on boat washing.

Word to the wise. If your craft is in the 36-34 foot 7-8 knot range, one is very wise to depart Ketchikan at 04:AM in order to make Meyers Chuck, a point of refrence of weather having picked up to have masters asking if that is enough. Camano Point, due to tidal flow from three angles, causes grief from Guard Island to mid-way Ship Isl. A early departure will assure good water till around 10:AM when winds will begin to increase. Both SE and NW winds are involved.

South bound for same class of boat, Depart either Meyers Chuck or Thorne Bay the suggested departure hour is recommended.

Extreme high tides also affect the tidal flow at Camano and should be taken into account.

Al Johnson- years of facing this route in a 28 foot boat and having been caught. Not friendly.

Word to the wise. If your craft is in the 36-34 foot 7-8 knot range, one is very wise to depart Ketchikan at 04:AM in order to make Meyers Chuck, a point of refrence of weather having picked up to have masters asking if that is enough. Camano Point, due to tidal flow from three angles, causes grief from Guard Island to mid-way Ship Isl. A early departure will assure good water till around 10:AM when winds will begin to increase. Both SE and NW winds are involved.

South bound for same class of boat, Depart either Meyers Chuck or Thorne Bay the suggested departure hour is recommended.

Extreme high tides also affect the tidal flow at Camano and should be taken into account.

Al Johnson- years of facing this route in a 28 foot boat and having been caught. Not friendly.

Good advise from a lifelong Ketch resident who knows these parts well. Al watched me last year heading up in the same conditions. It was crash and bash up Clarence til we got to Ship island, and then it really got rough.:eek:

Good advise from a lifelong Ketch resident who knows these parts well. Al watched me last year heading up in the same conditions. It was crash and bash up Clarence til we got to Ship island, and then it really got rough.:eek:

Thank you Ken,:flowers: Where are you in the route of things? Will have the AA on ice knowing.:socool:

Al, We are still in Bellingham. We have a family situation that requires us to stick around, at least for the present time. If we make it to SE this year, we'll be late getting there and as time passes it looks like this year might be a scratch. Even local trips are iffy at present, so we'll wait and see.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom