Anchor Wars come to Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you see the Ricky Gervais' opening monologue at the Golden Globes?

"Dame Judi Dench defended the film, saying it was the role she was born to play because she – I can’t do this next joke. Because she loves nothing better than plunking her ass down on the carpet, lifting her legs and licking her own --"
Remarkable flexibility at her age.

Who could have guessed the thread drift from anchors to... well this!

Here we go again!

------------------------------

As has been an unfortunate tradition the last few years, and as we expected this year, we once again need to fight off municipalities trying to add themselves to the existing carve-outs in Florida where overnight anchoring is prohibited.

The ability to regulate anchoring in Florida is reserved for the state legislature. In 2016, a bill passed carving out a few waterways in South Florida as anchoring limitation areas. These "carve outs" are listed in section 327.4108 of the Florida Statutes. Since then, each year, municipalities (through their state legislative delegation) try to file and pass a bill to add themselves to this list. This year, the first to step up to the plate is the Jacksonville area.

A bill has been filed to prohibit overnight anchoring in the Ortega River and the Cedar River in Duval County. The bill is attached and is scheduled for its first committee hearing on Monday, January 13th. We need members to email and call the members of the Senate Environmental & Natural Resources Committee in advance of that hearing to share their thoughts on this bill. The committee members are listed below. Their names are linked to their webpage, which lists their phone numbers and each has a button to email the Senator.

Senator Bill Montford (D) - Chair

Senator Ben Albritton (R) - Vice Chair
Senator Lori Berman (D)
Senator Debbie Mayfield (R)
Senator Tom A. Wright (R)

Please be respectful, professional, and succinct in sharing your thoughts. Following are a few bullet points that you may want to consider for your comments if you agree with them.

-The problem in Florida is not anchored boats, it's abandoned and derelict vessels (ADVs)
-The are already laws and regulations on the books to deal with ADVs. The solution is enforcement, not additional laws
-Responsible boaters are being prohibited from anchoring due to the actions of the few who abandon their boats on our waterways or allow them to become derelict
-Prohibiting anchoring hurts the local economy and the waterfront businesses. Boaters will spend their money in areas where they feel welcomed.

As you may know, AGLCA is working with a coalition that includes Marine Trawler Owners' Association (MTOA), Defever Cruisers, and Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) to fight these infringements of boaters' rights. We are still fundraising to cover this year's costs for professional representation in Tallahassee. AGLCA's staff spends countless hours on our advocacy efforts, but we do not use general funds to support specific issues. If you are concerned about the ability to anchor in Florida, please consider contributing.

As always, please feel free to contact me with comments or questions.

-Kim

Kim Russo
Director
America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association
krusso@greatloop.org

Wow, cabin fever really has set in here at TF.:lol:

Ain’t that the truth: stuck in FLL awaiting a weather window to cross to Cat Cay, got here before New Years and it finally looks like the coming Wednesday is good and then Thursday is great. At last!

Menzies: Are you going to the Water Ways Commission meeting this Wednesday at 9:30? Lena and I will be there. If you’re going to speak, you have to sign up before the meeting and you’ll get 3 minutes and we’re expecting a pretty good turn out.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/jacksonville-fl-proposed-anchoring-restrictions-48479.html

Unfortunately not - we are taking advantage of this great weather and leaving on Tuesday to run down to Palm Coast for a couple of days.

Good luck though!

Unfortunately not - we are taking advantage of this great weather and leaving on Tuesday to run down to Palm Coast for a couple of days.

Good luck though!

I forgot that I saw you had posted somewhere else that you were going to down that way.

Thanks for posting the letter from AGLCA. I just finished emailing every Senator on the Natural Resources committee, Community Affairs committee, and the Rules committee. Whew!

Ain’t that the truth: stuck in FLL awaiting a weather window to cross to Cat Cay, got here before New Years and it finally looks like the coming Wednesday is good and then Thursday is great. At last!

Wifey B: We're really looking forward to Wednesday and Thursday to get some boating in before we fly out of the country on Saturday. Very filled with anticipation as it's been too long since decent to get out. :)

This was from yesterday’s Waterwayguide concerning the anchoring restrictions in Georgia. There’s a form letter that can be filled in and sent. It’s not over till it’s over.

Research Reveals Incongruity of Georgia Anchoring Laws

https://www.waterwayguide.com/lates...n=news_02-05-2020&utm_content=News+02-05-2020

Thanks Larry for sharing that opinion piece I wrote and Waterway Guide published.

I'm new to TF. I joined to learn more about Trawlers - currently a sailor, but we all know time marches on. I got involved with this GA thing as it just did not seem "right". Those of you on Facebook might be interested to join Save Georgia's Anchorages to participate in the discussion there, as well as review some of the research some of the 1100 members have conducted. Good to be here.

Last edited:
Thanks Larry for sharing that opinion piece I wrote and Waterway Guide published.

Maybe just my computer, but when I first went to the linked Waterway Guide article Mr. Arisaka's letter did not show up at the end of the article. Glad I went back (and it did fill in) as it is an *outstanding* letter. Well-researched, and well-written and illustrated. Wow. My hat's off to you, Mr. Arisaka. Thank you!

BoatUS Press Release Today 2/6/20

Govaff%20GA%20Anchorage%20Credit%20Craig%20Rowdon%20photo%202_06_20.JPG

(Credit: Craig Rowdon "Boaters Under Fire In Georgia")

Boat US has issued a strong statement against the GA Anchoring Laws.

Please read here: https://www.boatus.com/news-room/release/boatus-calls-on-georgia-governor-to-fix-draco

Maybe just my computer, but when I first went to the linked Waterway Guide article Mr. Arisaka's letter did not show up at the end of the article. Glad I went back (and it did fill in) as it is an *outstanding* letter. Well-researched, and well-written and illustrated. Wow. My hat's off to you, Mr. Arisaka. Thank you!

Frosty:
Thank you for reading all 8 pages. My colleagues told me it was too long to send to a legislator, but I guess I had a lot to say, as there's a lot wrong with this whole thing. I was grateful Waterway Guide ran it.

How big is a 1000ft semi circle anyway?

I wrote this opinion piece and sent to several cruiser oriented publications:

Taking The Bat and The Ball & Going Home
So my friend James Newsome (co founder of Facebook Group “Save Georgia’s Anchorages” ) and I were ruminating about the impact of a single structure of a waterfront property owner now taking exclusive control of a huge swath of waterway and prohibiting anchoring.

We believe the structure now causes unreasonable obstruction to navigation and have started discussions with US Army Corps of Engineers as they have a role in administering the permitting process for these waterfront structures under PGP0083 – but that’s a topic for another day.

A semi circle defined by a radius of 1000ft off a waterfront property owner’s structure is 36 acres.

So how can we picture one acre? A football field is approximately 1.32 acres.

(Ref: https://www.stack.com/a/how-many-acres-is-a-football-field)

So 36 Acres / 1.32 Acres per football field = 27.3 football fields!

I’ve heard about unsportsman like conduct when one kid takes the bat and ball and goes home and ends the game for everyone. Looks like this time the one kid is taking the bat the ball and 27 football fields away to end the game for everyone.

Addendum:
For those of you interested in the math:

A semi circle with a 1000ft radius from a structure is equivalent to 36 acres.

Area of a circle = p r2 so 3.14 * (1000ft)2 = 3,140,000 square feet

1 acre = 43560 square feet

So the area of that semi circle = 3,140,000 sq ft / 43560 sq ft per acre / 2 = 36.0 Acres

A football field is approximately 1.32 acres.

36 Acres / 1.32 Acres per football field = 27.3 football fields

Attachments

• Football Field 27 4x7.jpg
    Football Field 27 4x7.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 68
I wrote this opinion piece and sent to several cruiser oriented publications:

Taking The Bat and The Ball & Going Home
So my friend James Newsome (co founder of Facebook Group “Save Georgia’s Anchorages” ) and I were ruminating about the impact of a single structure of a waterfront property owner now taking exclusive control of a huge swath of waterway and prohibiting anchoring.

We believe the structure now causes unreasonable obstruction to navigation and have started discussions with US Army Corps of Engineers as they have a role in administering the permitting process for these waterfront structures under PGP0083 – but that’s a topic for another day.

A semi circle defined by a radius of 1000ft off a waterfront property owner’s structure is 36 acres.

So how can we picture one acre? A football field is approximately 1.32 acres.

So 36 Acres / 1.32 Acres per football field = 27.3 football fields!

I’ve heard about unsportsman like conduct when one kid takes the bat and ball and goes home and ends the game for everyone. Looks like this time the one kid is taking the bat the ball and 27 football fields away to end the game for everyone.

Addendum:
For those of you interested in the math:

A semi circle with a 1000ft radius from a structure is equivalent to 36 acres.

Area of a circle = p r2 so 3.14 * (1000ft)2 = 3,140,000 square feet

1 acre = 43560 square feet

So the area of that semi circle = 3,140,000 sq ft / 43560 sq ft per acre / 2 = 36.0 Acres

A football field is approximately 1.32 acres.

36 Acres / 1.32 Acres per football field = 27.3 football fields

By comparison, the typical waterfront lot is .25 - .30 acres. Even a simpler way to look at it is that the average size of a waterfront lot is 100' x 150'. So, wouldn't the equivalent of one vacant lot be more than generous? On the other side of the homeowner's property he has a street, no where near that large. Easements are typically much smaller too. Property owners can build up to as little as 10 or 20' from a property line, putting homes less than 40' apart. As homeowners we are protected from having a home built too close to ours but not protected from having another home within our view, which 1000' seems to try to do. 1000' is like someone slipped the decimal. I'm use to 100' or 50' being thrown around in these discussions.

Now, as a homeowner we are protected against the type and quality of the home adjacent to us. This is where once again the lack of good derelict boat laws threaten reasonable anchoring. Also, as a homeowner we are protected against persons parking and living in their vehicles on the street but only against those very close to our home.

Boaters and cruisers need to be the ones writing the proposed legislation and aiming for reasonable laws. Compromise is needed. Otherwise we keep ending up with one side saying no restrictions and one saying keep them at least ten miles away and then legislators who know nothing about what they're doing pass a stupid law only to be interpreted and enforced by an administrator who seems to know even less although should be in a position to know.

Legislators must rely on subject matter experts and lobbyists to understand what is put before them, I get that. But how did House Bill get overwhelming support in the House (Yea 162 Nay 1 NV 8 Exc 9) and Senate (Yea 45 Nay 0 NV 4 Exc 7)?
(Ref: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/enUS/display/20192020/HB/201)

Here is how HB 201 Sponsor Rep Hogan presented it in the House. Video by Georgia Public Broadcasting

https://youtu.be/pQKbiEDGOkY?t=1018

WOW! and all this time I thought it was ALREADY illegal to dump raw, untreated sewage in the estuaries in GA . . . . Sad that no one questioned what he had to say was really IN the bill. I guess they have to Pass it before they could figure out what was actually IN it . . . . :banghead:

WOW! and all this time I thought it was ALREADY illegal to dump raw, untreated sewage in the estuaries in GA . . . . Sad that no one questioned what he had to say was really IN the bill. I guess they have to Pass it before they could figure out what was actually IN it . . . . :banghead:

Now that the bill has been passed, wait until DNR writes the actual regulations.

Last edited:
Now that the bill has been passed, wait until DNR writes the actual regulations.

Unless I'm mistaken, they have ALREADY written the actual regulations . . . but are now in the process of RE-WRITING them due the hue and cry over how they wrote them . . .

Yes, several of Rep Hogan's statements were factually incorrect.

Unless I'm mistaken, they have ALREADY written the actual regulations . . . but are now in the process of RE-WRITING them due the hue and cry over how they wrote them . . .

House Bill 201 was passed and signed into law in 2019, effective 1/1/2020.

There is a House Bill 833 being put forward currently in 2020. It is written to have an effective date of 1/1/2021. This bill must first gain support and pass in order to "fix" the current laws in effect for 2020. Please write GA legislators in support of HB 833

HB 833 2019-2020 Regular Session

Taken from another forum, but this is a good video to watch to begin to see what has happened

AS a future cruiser through GA, I really do not know what to do and where to anchor.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom