Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??

Thanks Bess for the info on the Joyner Mariner. It is definitely a possibility.

rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
rusbet wrote:

We will be starting the great loop from Naples, FL sometime between the end of March to mid May.* Our son announced he is getting married in Toronto on May 7th so we are still trying to figure it out.* Ideally we will get going before then and dock our boat along the way and fly up for the wedding.
I didn't know you all were leaving this spring to do the loop! *How awesome! *If you all make it over to the TN River area you'll have to let me know so we can meet up. *What an awesome trip you all are about to have!!!

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #23

Thats a great sunset shot Bess, I really like the boat in the lower left hand corner!

Moonstruck- mention this*thread for free dingy dockage at Joyner Marina, I know someone who can make that happen!
JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
JMYSS wrote:

Thats a great sunset shot Bess, I really like the boat in the lower left hand corner!

Moonstruck- mention this*thread for free dingy dockage at Joyner Marina, I know someone who can make that happen!
Thanks, Tim.* It looks like we will have to give Carolina Beach a try.* The nice thing about a cruise along the coast is no really hard and fast plans.* We can make ooom for a stop when we want.* Look forward to meeting you guys.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

For sure!
rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #26

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse

Quote:
Besslb wrote:

Hey Ya'll !!* Who is going where when?* We have moved to a "new to us" home marina at Carolina Beach, (Joyner Marina) right at green day beacon 161.* We would love to meet ya'll as your cruising by, share a frosty and a story or two!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are thinking of taking our boat down South this winter... but not too far south! *What is the winter like in N.C..... is Joyner Marina a good place to sit out any weather issues?
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Winters here are pretty mild really...for all the complaining I do about how cold it has been.**** Joyner is a great place to hang out!*
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Just to bump this thread a little... Anyone still planning on cruising up the ICW anytime soon? We'd love for y'all to stop and say hi.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #29
Guru

Look up my cousin Andy Denmark when you get to Oriental. He has a Cape Dory about that size moored at Deaton Yacht Sales. I'm sure he'll love to swap stories with you. Dory stories? (ouch)
Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Who is going North or South on the ICW this year??

Quote:
DavidM wrote:
We just bought our retirement house in Oriental, NC on Pierce Creek. We will move in by late April. We have a Cape Dory 28 that is currently near Annapolis and will be bringing it down in May. From there we will cruise the creeks and inlets in the area: Beaufort, Cape Lookout, Ocracoke, Bath, Washington, etc. Would love to link up. Contact me at djmarchand@cox.net.

David
**********A man with a Plan!,** Congrats on the new digs and welcome to the East Coast.

************ The Cape Dory is a cool boat.* It is great when a plan comes together.

*************Enjoy-- JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 04:07:51 PM
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #31

I am leaving Charleston, SC May 1st.. Destination Hopetown, Abaco Bahamas, not sure how long it will take at 10 kts.* Should be a fun trip going with My Dad and a couple of friends.* Hope to make 80 miles a day and then cut across at Palm Beach.* Going to leave the boat there for the summer then head back to Charleston late July.

Here I come Nippers!

Hypomone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #32
Guru

Why are you going down to Palm Beach?* You can cut across at St. Lucie Inlet for a direct route to the Little Bahama Bank.* You can enter the bank just south of White Sand Ridge and have good water.* It is a little over 100 miles to Great Sale if you want to anchor for the night.* You will miss the badly marked and shallow Indian Cay Channel.* It is about 160 odd miles to Green Turtle Cay.* You can do customs there.

Sounds like a great trip.* Love Hope Town.

BTW, we plan on leaving Boca Grande, FL for the trip north about May 1.* We will probably meet along the way.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 15th of April 2011 10:48:56 AM
Old 04-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Anybody coming Downeast? Its lonely down here. Would love to have some visitors.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Anybody coming Downeast? Its lonely down here. Would love to have some visitors.
*I would love to come downeast for the summer.* However, I heard the tax man will get you if you stay longer than 28 days in the state of Maine.* Has that changed?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

If the boat is in Maine continuously for more than 30 days, then technically Maine can nail you for a use tax. If you are cruising and moving around the whole time the chances are slim to none that you would get nailed. It's the boats that sit in one conspicuous place for a month or more that sometimes do.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #36
Guru

We are "mini-cruising" from Carolina Beach (Wilmington, NC area) to Georgetown, SC and back all this week if any of y'all are around.

Tom-
Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
Hi Don - I've been meaning to ask for a while now. Several times you have mentioned how close to the Bahamas you are from Boca Grande. We were going to try to find you when we were in Fla a few weeks ago, but you had to leave because of something at home, so we thought another time. Didn't make it to Boca, got as far as Siesta Key, but will one day. My question - How long do the Bahamas take you to reach from Boca, and do you go around the Keys? When you start North on May 1, is it up the Gulf Coast, or the East? If the East, where do you cross Fla? I love to imagin these different excursions, because we will be starting south in the fall.
*Hi Carl, I'll try to answer them all.* On Moonstruck it is a long one day run to the east coast from Boca Grande.* We usually cross FL*on the Okeechobee Waterway if there is enough*water.* I have had to go around through the Keys because of lack of water.* That is about an extra couple hundred miles.**The Bahamas first land fall is about 60 miles off Florida.* We seldom do that. We will usually run about 100 or so miles to anchor at Great Sale Cay.* It is uninhabitated.* We can make Green Turtle *Cay in one day.* It is about 165 miles.

We will be crossing FL on the OWW privided the water situation doesn't deteriote,* Right now the controlling depth is a little under 5.4'.* That is just in one spot.* We need a little over 4; to make it.* Then we are heading up the east coast toward the Chesapeake.* We plan to head south to the east coast of FL next fall.* Maybe we can meet up when you move south.

Siesta Key is just about Boca Grande about 30 miles.* Sorry we missed you.* We love that area.* Siesta Key is not too shabby either.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
*Hi Carl, I'll try to answer them all.

__________________________________________________ ________

The obvious advantage to having a fast boat.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
I love the characters along the way! Of course, I do not let them influence me in any way, you understand.
******* Carl:*

I certainly appreciate your point of view (It's the journey!) and meeting all those characters along the way. I, however, live in "character land" and would like to get to that "easy chair on the beach" like Don does. He is able , because of his speed, to take advantage of a small weather window safely. Should that window expand, he can throttle back and "enjoy those characters along the way" like the rest of us do. His vessel has tremendous flexibility to adjust to the mission at hand. If I had that boat I would name it "Chameleon" for it's ability to adapt to changing environments.

Carey & others on this site have that same flexibilty and I am envious of it. When I bought my boat I was obsessed with pinning down the mission. I narrowed it down too close and have passed on a couple of buddy boating trips to Catalina and the Channel Islands simply because I couldn't keep up. (Boat speed that is!)

Walt

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 16th of April 2011 12:18:45 PM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 16th of April 2011 12:27:43 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:
"I narrowed it down too close and have passed on a couple of buddy boating trips to Catalina and the Channel Islands simply because I couldn't keep up.

(Boat speed that is!)

Walt - May I humbly take the latitude that I speak for all of us on the Forum that we are very glad you clarified that "small" subject for us !!!!!
*Carl, if I may weigh in here?* I will talk personally for a minute.* I am really a trawler guy at heart.* However, even at my somewhat "advanced age", I have chosen to stay active in my business.* Having owned a trawler in the past, I figured that I would have a trawler now.* Choosing not to fully retire, the time alloted to cruises is shorter.* Other than the speed, we do not cruise like most planing boat people.* We are set up for anchoring and extended stays..* Walt is right.***We use our speed judicioulsy.* When we have time we slow down, but speed gives up more time to stop and enjoy those characters and friends (some of whom are characters) along the waterway.* The space and comfort found on a full displacement trawler yacht would be nice, but we have all the real comforts we need.* I can't see leaving our families and land base for full time life aboard.* It is appealing, but we are attached to our homes, family, cumunity*and friends.* We love making new friends on the water.* Several have become really good friends.* It just adds to the richness of the experience.

We usually cruise as a one boat flotilla.* That does not mean that we don't enjoy family and friends cruising with us.* Many times you could catch us with friends on board* for part or all the trip.* Of course, when we can get the grandkids, we take every minute we can get with them.* They love it.* It is our gimmick to get to spend extra time with them.

I don't remember who said this, but if anyone knows please let me know.* "Life is simpler when cruising, but on a grand scale".* That sums it up for me.* We are cruisers.* As I told Lou when she asked for my biggest fault, "I spend too much money on my boating, and that is not likely to change".* She was warned.

I enjoy the diverse group that participates on this forum.* I also appreciate how new people are welcomed here.* A great group, indeed.* Thanks to Doug and John for putting this together.* It is just another thing to enrich the experience.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 16th of April 2011 09:17:31 PM