Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 05-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #1621
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Wow - Cool!!!!!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #1622
Guru

City: coos bay
[QUOTE=Hendo78;328932]I took 'Tank' the tender out on the weekend for a test run. I even had a special guest tag along for the ride...

I can't believe how fuel efficient this Merc is. We drove around for 4 hrs and I can't tell how much fuel we used. The tank gauge didn't leave the full mark so I opened the tank and the fuel is almost spilling out. It doesn't go anywhere fast but it'll run on the smell of an oily rag

I have one of those motors and it runs all day on a tea cup of fuel. I have it on my dinghy a 13 foot gregor aluminum i use in the mountains trolling for trout. If i use a handle extension and sit up front the boat will plain maybe at 16/18mph. On my rubber dinghy i steer with my feet and she flies over the water lots of fun but hard to see were your going....

Old 05-08-2015, 10:08 PM   #1623
Art
Guru

[QUOTE=bfloyd4445;331610]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
I took 'Tank' the tender out on the weekend for a test run. I even had a special guest tag along for the ride...

I can't believe how fuel efficient this Merc is. We drove around for 4 hrs and I can't tell how much fuel we used. The tank gauge didn't leave the full mark so I opened the tank and the fuel is almost spilling out. It doesn't go anywhere fast but it'll run on the smell of an oily rag

I have one of those motors and it runs all day on a tea cup of fuel. I have it on my dinghy a 13 foot gregor aluminum i use in the mountains trolling for trout. If i use a handle extension and sit up front the boat will plain maybe at 16/18mph. On my rubber dinghy i steer with my feet and she flies over the water lots of fun but hard to see were your going....
Hey guys - You know anything regarding fuel consumption on Mercs in the 50 hp range (I'll also do a net search). What you get for "cups" of gas per day on small Mercs seems impressive. Although I currently get approx 20 mpg at 25 mph on my 1975 Johnson 50 hp o/b... if I could double that mileage I m might be interested in purchasing a new Merc. That is as long as the Merc still provides same actual hp/torque of the old Johnson.

Happy Dink-Boat Daze! - Art
Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #1624
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Well now! Gonna have to name the Dink. Maybe "Axe Handle" ?

Great to see the Admiral smile again, now you Matt, gotta work on yours.
What about "Axe to Ground" - play on 'axe to grind' - get it..?

Only in this case it gets you from the Axe, to the ground (land) - just flying a kite for fun here - sort of play on words…nah…probably not...
Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 AM   #1625
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Thumbs up Too Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
What about "Axe to Ground" - play on 'axe to grind' - get it..?

Only in this case it gets you from the Axe, to the ground (land) - just flying a kite for fun here - sort of play on words…nah…probably not...
Another great name!

Just realized this thread is now 82 pages long! Keep at it Matt, maybe another 82?

Crusty
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 AM   #1626
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Ok had a late start due to a sleep in lol and then I I couldn't really get started for one reason or another. Couldn't do that because of that reason and Couldn't do that because of that reason and so on. I did manage to cut the Glosswood VJ lining boards but then my gun kept jamming (dodgy nails i think) so fluffed around and did some cleaning up and shuffling things around so I had a clear area for when I get back down there.

Some days ta just gotta cut off and turn it loose and come back another day when the bad vibe has buggered off.

I worked out I need another two packs of 3600 long Glosswood packs to get the ceilings done so I'll grab them during the week. I'll also grab the right nails for my gun and hopefully have the ceiling fitted off during the week and on the weekend I'll jump up top, lift the ply off, chuck in the sound proofing and insulation then glue and screw the sheets off then roll out the glass cloth and sheath the whole roof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431163474.354776.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	40016

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431163497.148134.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	40017

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431163513.232472.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	40018

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Trawler Forum
Old 05-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #1627
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yeah Matt, you'll knock that all off in a good old Aussie coupladays…no sweat...
Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #1628
Art
Guru

Quote:
Ok had a late start due to a sleep in lol and then I I couldn't really get started for one reason or another. Couldn't do that because of that reason and Couldn't do that because of that reason and so on. I did manage to cut the Glosswood VJ lining boards but then my gun kept jamming (dodgy nails i think) so fluffed around and did some cleaning up and shuffling things around so I had a clear area for when I get back down there.

Some days ta just gotta cut off and turn it loose and come back another day when the bad vibe has buggered off.

I worked out I need another two packs of 3600 long Glosswood packs to get the ceilings done so I'll grab them during the week. I'll also grab the right nails for my gun and hopefully have the ceiling fitted off during the week and on the weekend I'll jump up top, lift the ply off, chuck in the sound proofing and insulation then glue and screw the sheets off then roll out the glass cloth and sheath the whole roof.

Attachment 40016
Attachment 40017
Attachment 40018

Geeee whiz Matt - You're just such a slacker! Didn't ya ever learn ta have good work ethics?

Oh damn... I just woke up... Sorry Matt that's not you I was dreaming about, but rather it was my lazy next door neighbor! Forgive me bout that Matt - your work ethics should be carved in stone at city hall for growing-up kids to read about and taught to understand. Couple million folks who work like you and the civilization just might make it into the 22nd Century before imploding.

Get it on with AXE - Bro! We're all cheering for ya!! - Art

Old 05-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #1629
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
It's great to see you back at it, Matt. I'm so happy for you that things are working out.

The sedan cruiser in your photos looks like a copy of your design. You'd better look into that.

You and Rick keep after your building projects. When you guys are down us old farts have nothing to live for. Fernando is no entertainment anymore. He is just enjoying his beautiful boat.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #1630
Guru

[QUOTE=Art;331659]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

Hey guys - You know anything regarding fuel consumption on Mercs in the 50 hp range (I'll also do a net search). What you get for "cups" of gas per day on small Mercs seems impressive. Although I currently get approx 20 mpg at 25 mph on my 1975 Johnson 50 hp o/b... if I could double that mileage I m might be interested in purchasing a new Merc. That is as long as the Merc still provides same actual hp/torque of the old Johnson.

Happy Dink-Boat Daze! - Art
on my 2011 Wooldridge Alaskan I have a 115 merc with the upgraded smart craft engine controls and i can troll slower using less fuel with the 115 than i can with the 9.9 merc i also have on that boat. Wished I would have saved the $3500 US dollars I spent on the 9.9 when i found that out.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #1631
Art
Guru

[QUOTE=bfloyd4445;331996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
on my 2011 Wooldridge Alaskan I have a 115 merc with the upgraded smart craft engine controls and i can troll slower using less fuel with the 115 than i can with the 9.9 merc i also have on that boat. Wished I would have saved the $3500 US dollars I spent on the 9.9 when i found that out.
Wow... that's amazing Britt. Thanks for reply.

What type fuel usage per hr does your 115 merc average at cruise speed; lets say 3500 to 3700 rpm? Also, what size boat and what is cruise speed for your boat... as a matter of interest... what is your speed at WOT?

Art
Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #1632
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Syntax? For the dinghy, I mean?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #1633
Guru

[QUOTE=Art;332027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

Wow... that's amazing Britt. Thanks for reply.

What type fuel usage per hr does your 115 merc average at cruise speed; lets say 3500 to 3700 rpm? Also, what size boat and what is cruise speed for your boat... as a matter of interest... what is your speed at WOT?

Art
The wot is 6000rpm, heres a boat test link

Mercury 115 EFI Outboard, Control System 2013 Engine Test / Reviews Videos, Specs, Fast Facts, Captain reports | BoatTEST.com

here is info on my boat. In fact there is a picture of my boat at the website.

Alaskan | Wooldridge Boats

My Alaskan has a 38 gallon tank and while i have never taken the time for exact numbers everytime i think i have to be breathing fuems I end up with over 1/2 tank. I have a bad habit of keeping her full cause you never know what might happen on the water even in inland waterways. The engine is equipped with the smart craft system which gives you instant fuel consumption, gallons remaining in tank and just about any other parameter you could ask for on the digital read out.
I tell you when i bought that engine i was simply blown away by the way it performed and the economy. All it does is sniff gas I think. Have it set up to run either a jet or prop. Mostly use the prop cause it is faster than the jet and doesn't keep clogging up with seaweed and crap. I have no experiance with merc 50's. Outboards are so darmed expensive mate I hate to buy them but they do have lots of good points.
Below is my Alaskan not far from the bar at Winchester Oregon

Name:	2011-09-07_15-45-14_713.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	40058
Old 05-11-2015, 12:01 AM   #1634
Art
Guru

Thanks, again Britt. I'll review the link.

Let's give this thread back to Matt, and AXE ...
Old 05-11-2015, 01:51 AM   #1635
Guru

Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Lol all good Art. I'm learning from the posts too :-)

Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #1636
Art
Guru

Quote:
Lol all good Art. I'm learning from the posts too :-)

TY Matt!

Since Britt provided Merc link I read it all. Sent inquiry (regarding 50 hp merc o/b which I'm interested to learn stats about) to designated person at mercmarine.com. He returns from vacation today... may be a bit till he provides answer/stat-page. Will post here if items are interesting - which they probably will be!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #1637
Guru

Hey all.
Popped in to AXE after work and started on the roof/side/wing thingy tried taking some pics for y'all but they turned out sh*t but anyway here they are. Talk to you tomorrow.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515394.653830.jpg
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	40117

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515407.885119.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	40118

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515451.739135.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	40119

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515479.941292.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	40120

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515495.874546.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	40121

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515538.527403.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	40122

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431515553.295510.jpg
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	40123

Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #1638
Guru

Got down to the boat a bit earlier today so snuck in a quick pic before it got dark.

Today I started on the STBD side with the installation of the 100x50 steel roof beam.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1431605436.141459.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	40147

Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #1639
Art
Guru

Matt Me Buddy

You're getting into the nit-grit of finish work - Stay true to yourself and realize that perfection is to be strived for but seldom if ever attained. Therefore... recognizing that you are a perfectionist... I recommend you place a limit on time spent to reach perfection during each "finish" sequence. The real perfection is when AXE gets into cruising you around to have all the fun and joy "that" sequence will provide!

- Art
Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #1640
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Matt Me Buddy

You're getting into the nit-grit of finish work - Stay true to yourself and realize that perfection is to be strived for but seldom if ever attained. Therefore... recognizing that you are a perfectionist... I recommend you place a limit on time spent to reach perfection during each "finish" sequence. The real perfection is when AXE gets into cruising you around to have all the fun and joy "that" sequence will provide!

- Art
..Art, for some people good enough is not good enough. I tend to be one of those people that is not satisfied unless perfect. Many laughed at me in the early days shaking their heads as they walked away but over the years people came to respect my work and I began to capitalize on that reputation without even trying. I would get calls, letters, requesting my services offering very substantial monetary compensation just to over see a project or look over prints. Each request was a nice compliment for past labors.
My point is there is nothing wrong with perfection and it can be very profitable in the long term. Hendo has already begun to achieve such a reputation, a man after my own heart!