Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #581
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Sweeet! "Chillin on the lounge with Flic" eh?? Um, er....ah, suure you are...

Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #582
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom56 View Post
hi hendo, i am still searching for the holy grail. i travelled to bundy yesterday [800k return trip] to look at cruiser, 39ft of plywood that had been left out in the rain ! it was on the dry getting the hull painted and bottom antifouled. when i got inside and into the bow i could rub the first layer of ply away with my fingers. i tried in around the motor and the same .comes of like horse hair out of an old mattress.the salesman said i can pour epoxy on it to fix it. the hull is dynal sheathed.i think is best to stay away.what your thoughts?[also i could feel moisture without a moisture meter] last week i looked at aconverted prawn trawler that had stainless plates screwed on the inside of the ribs [some were "cracked"] the bilge was used to store any old oil,grease,and leftover vomit.the bilge pump worked very well as the only leak i could see squirted water at about a litre a minute. this boat buying process is very disheartening. both boats are 50-60k. i've had my say, i feel better, hows your boat going? thanks tom
TomTom,
You wrote ... "the hull is dynal sheathed" .
Well if it's what I think it is you can't sand it. I did an ultralight prop w it and had to throw the prop away. It was said to be very abrasion resistant. Sure was. It just fuzzed up when I tried to sand it smooth. It may be "Dynel" ???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #583
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Sweeet! "Chillin on the lounge with Flic" eh?? Um, er....ah, suure you are...

BAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #584
Moderator Emeritus

Prawn trawler? Ever heard the "wood expert" joke?
tomtom, that boat has to be a walk, better still, a run. Fibreglass does avoid some pitfalls.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #585
Guru

Hi all.

Some of you know that for the last 12 months i have been trying to find out some information on my vessel and trying to learn about her history

well that all changed today and im Soooo excited about what happened that i just had to share.

Felicity, Liam and I went to the Maritime Day at Fremantle on the weekend. (see my other thread for details)

When i was there i wandered across a stall for the WA Museum.

I got talking to the little old lady that was there manning it and told her about AXE and that during the teardown i had discovered the name ACE.HIGH and the nubering F430 on her hull and who i could go to for some information.

I gave her my email address and today she sent me the following info

Sent: Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:26 AM
To: Matthew Henderson
Subject: Re: Ship history

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for forwarding the SRO email. We have some information on Ace High for you, as follows:
  • Built as ACE.HIGH in 1961 and registered as F.430
  • In 1968 it was renamed ROSS MAJELLA and registered as LFBF.430
  • In 1978 it was renamed MAJELLA and registered as F.167
  • In 1978 it was last surveyed
  • In 1978 it was possibly condemned as the register from Department of Primary Industries stated "To be replaced by My Choice"
That meant that MAJELLA ceased to be a licenced fishing boat and was replaced with another newer boat.

Attached is a copy of the DPI Survey card for the vessel Ace High and a picture of the vessels when called Ross Majella.

That is as much information as we hold about the vessel. I hope that it helps you.

Kind regards,

Maritime History

Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #586
Moderator Emeritus

Yes Minister.
Good sleuthing Matt, and co-operation from Maritime History. Who`d have thought the original name would be close to your own choice?
And good luck with completing the project. It gets finished when it gets finished. With building work, the hard part is getting out of the ground. I reckon getting the hull done is the boat builders equivalent.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #587
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Hi all.

Some of you know that for the last 12 months i have been trying to find out some information on my vessel and trying to learn about her history

well that all changed today and im Soooo excited about what happened that i just had to share.

Felicity, Liam and I went to the Maritime Day at Fremantle on the weekend. (see my other thread for details)

When i was there i wandered across a stall for the WA Museum.

I got talking to the little old lady that was there manning it and told her about AXE and that during the teardown i had discovered the name ACE.HIGH and the nubering F430 on her hull and who i could go to for some information.

I gave her my email address and today she sent me the following info

Sent: Tuesday, 3 September 2013 9:26 AM
To: Matthew Henderson
Subject: Re: Ship history

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for forwarding the SRO email. We have some information on Ace High for you, as follows:
  • Built as ACE.HIGH in 1961 and registered as F.430
  • In 1968 it was renamed ROSS MAJELLA and registered as LFBF.430
  • In 1978 it was renamed MAJELLA and registered as F.167
  • In 1978 it was last surveyed
  • In 1978 it was possibly condemned as the register from Department of Primary Industries stated "To be replaced by My Choice"
That meant that MAJELLA ceased to be a licenced fishing boat and was replaced with another newer boat.

Attached is a copy of the DPI Survey card for the vessel Ace High and a picture of the vessels when called Ross Majella.

That is as much information as we hold about the vessel. I hope that it helps you.

Kind regards,

Maritime History

Matt - This made my day! Bet it made your year!! Congrats!!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #588
TF Site Team

City: Iselton, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Wow that is so cool!!! Yea!!!
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #589
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Score! Nice having the provenance for the boat available. Perhaps you can include some of it into the refit somehow?

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #590
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Nice one, Hendo. Good to have the history. I wish I could find out more about mine, but never having been a fishing boat it did not need regular surveys which would be recorded anywhere. Most of us would be in that category I guess. I wonder what one might get out of the Transport Dept where it is registered.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #591
Guru

Hi gang,
Well I've been posting here for 1 year now. Sorry I haven't reported in a while and being tardy with my attention to posting on here. I just wanted to pop in and give y'all an update

Progress is going well. Spent a big day today getting stuck into sanding the High strength epoxy glue once and for all. This stuff is like sanding concrete Blaaaa .

We had almost 8 weeks of solid rain so have been unable to do a thing on her. Its kind of ironic really. We had a couple of day of clear skies so I thought, heck, i'll build a roof out of some material I have laying around so it'll dry out and it wouldnt matter if it rained or not and wouldn't ya know it, it hasnt rained since putting it up ... Should have done that 8 weeks ago!

On the technical front, I discovered a little problem. When building the frame before she was rolled over, I failed to take into account a sag in the rear of the keel with the old framework and drive shaft strut removed. Its only now that I have tried to fit the prop and strut that it has come to bite me in the arse because the prop hits the underside of the hull.

I can fix it as the prop only needs 10mm taken out of the boat so it can spin freely but Im a little worried as to how/if this will affect its performance or handling with the prop being so close to the hull. The sag is a total of 50mm. I've actually had to cut the driveshaft strut down and will need to weld it so it'll fit. Will take pics and show you what I mean later on but that was a disappointing discovery. Too late to lift the sag now so just gotta work with what I've got.

I'm sure there'll be more discoveries like that now that I'm starting to put her together but hey, I've always said I'm no boat builder and not working from any plans other than what's in my head so I can expect it to work out every time!

Now that the shelter is up I should be able to get a good run at it whether it is raining or not.

anywhooo that's about it really. Just been sanding, sanding, sanding

Thanks for your PM's etc and for checking up on me. Sorry again for being slack! ...

Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #592
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Matt

You two are baddddd asssss workers. TY for posting again and for reply PM. I'm sure all the unexpecteds you run into will work out in the long run.

Get It On!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #593
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Good to hear from you Hendo. We have been a little concerned when no word for awhile.

One word of caution. Make certain that there is enough clearance between prop and hull that no erosion of the hull can occur. Others with boat building experience can probably give you a guideline for this. Eric worked for and tested Uniflites. He may have something to add.

Glad you are back.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #594
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Know what you mean about the weather Matt. We had a drought here for a while, washed my truck and cured that little problem. Rained that afternoon.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #595
Guru

City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I'm not a boat builder either but there is a formula for how much clearance a wheel has to have from the structure or you get strange noises, vibrations and ultimately damage from clearances that are too close. I'll ask around and see if my boaty friends have the reference.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #596
TF Site Team

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
...On the technical front, I discovered a little problem. When building the frame before she was rolled over, I failed to take into account a sag in the rear of the keel with the old framework and drive shaft strut removed. Its only now that I have tried to fit the prop and strut that it has come to bite me in the arse because the prop hits the underside of the hull.

I can fix it as the prop only needs 10mm taken out of the boat so it can spin freely but Im a little worried as to how/if this will affect its performance or handling with the prop being so close to the hull. The sag is a total of 50mm. I've actually had to cut the driveshaft strut down and will need to weld it so it'll fit. Will take pics and show you what I mean later on but that was a disappointing discovery. Too late to lift the sag now so just gotta work with what I've got....
I checked a couple references and both said that the clearance between the propeller blade tips and the hull bottom should be at least 15% of the propeller diameter and ideally, 20% or more. Bummer...
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #597
Guru

City: coos bay
Yikes! I thought you had her done and launched.....This was a big project and they never go without a glitch or two showing up. Anyway mate, hope your plan works out but I'm afraid you will loose performance with the notching of the hull. You couldn't just use a longer prop shaft?

britt
Old 11-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #598
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back Hendo. When you have finished with the 8 weeks of rain, send it east, has been dry and we still have some uncontrolled bush fires only rain will extinguish. Another high fire risk day today.
Great to see the 2 of you hard at work!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #599
Guru

Hendo, I've been thinking. If that hull has a hook in it you need to fix that before you do anything more. She won't handle worth beans with a hook and will waste fuel. Maybe you should start a thread describing the problem and maybe one of the marine engineers or someone that has had a similar issue that read the forums will offer some assistance
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #600
Guru

After reading your plan it dawned on me in my younger days I had had an old boat, like your, resurrected from the junk yard that I put back in the water. That thing was solid and ran great but it porpoises and steered weird. Anyway I couldn't figure out the problem so enlisted the expertise of a boat yard and they took five minutes to inform me my hull was hooked and until that was fixed it would not handle properly, At that point I lost interest and gave the boat to a friend who ended up sinking it