34' Californian Mystery part

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBoat

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Layla
Vessel Make
1979 34' Californian LRC
See attached pictures. This is on my 34' Californian. It looks like it is a broken in-line Bilge pump to me, but looking for confirmation. This is midship in the engine room on the bulkhead next to my water heater. The suction tube goes down into the midship bilge area. The other tube goes to a Port-side Thru-Hull.

Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• IMG_7173.jpg
    IMG_7173.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7179.jpg
    IMG_7179.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Looks like a diaphragm pump, maybe with the top missing.

Yep, that was the clue I needed... a manual hand Bilge pump!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Manual_Bilge.png
    Manual_Bilge.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 11
I think we have narrowed it down, probably a broken Guzzler brand!

I'm assuming I should replace this so that if run out of battery, and I've taken on water that I can still pump it out by hand? Since this will probably be rarely used I could just get the cheap $20 one from Amazon?

Do all your boats have this? It looks like this was not caught or mentioned by our surveyor.

In reality they will not keep up with a catastrophic flooding event. They will keep up with a small leak for a short time and then you will give out due to the exertion. Maybe Arnold in his heyday could run one for a long time, but us mortals, and old mortals at that cannot do it for long. Better to invest in good quality electric bilge pumps.

Good feedback. The boat has two electric 1500GPM bilge pumps with auto float switches. On my list to buy is also a container of Stay Afloat leak stopper.

I used to commercial fish in the gulf of Alaska. On our boats we had something called a deck pump, and it was a massive pump that you use a big (4-5 foot) steel bar to work, and it could move a lot of water in a hurry, without electricity in case of emergencies. I have one of these guzzler pumps in my engine room on my 30 Californian LRC. It is kind of a smaller version of that old school emergency pump. I think it has a hose going to the bilge somewhere and then out a through hull. It also pumps a lot of water quickly, I have tested it out. Im sure you can either get parts for the one you have or replace it with a reasonably priced facsimile, or even an identical pump.

If you had a few crew members to spell each other off, maybe, but most of us oldies wouldn't be good for too long, then your arms would be really tired for the swim.

I have one on mine - it functions - although i wouldn't want to be relying on it.
I carry spare drop in auto bilge pumps (1500gph) in case the fwd one fails.

Here is what I ended up buying for a replacement. It has the ability to use 1.5" tubing which is what I believe the current one has. A bit more expensive than the cheapest one...

Attachments

• WhaleGusherBilgePump.png
    WhaleGusherBilgePump.png
    182.1 KB · Views: 8
Here is what I ended up buying for a replacement. It has the ability to use 1.5" tubing which is what I believe the current one has. A bit more expensive than the cheapest one...

If you do mount one, put it in a position that will allow the operator to pump it easily and comfortably or else they will tire quickly. Even in a comfortable location you will tire quickly but do the best you can as far as location.

I agree with all comments about the pumps capacity and crews ability - perhaps it was never designed to "save the boat when all else fails" - it could have been installed to clean up small spills and the water that the big electrics can`t get to, especially if the suction hose is moveable.

Would it make sense to have a 3 foot piece of copper pipe that fit over the handle for a little mechanical advantage ??

Good feedback from everyone. Thanks!

I'd check where that hose comes from before hooking that up .... maybe it comes from your holding tank. Do you want to pump overboard ?

PS. there is a check valve at the inlet of the pump.

I checked, it goes to the midship part of the Bilge. The holding tank is serviced by an electric macerating pump and has a separate thru-hull port and valve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom