Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #81
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric--- We never postpone a cruise because we need or want to varnish or whatever. Often we can do some of this work during the cruise. And you're right, I'll have plenty to do if and when I retire. Actually, even if I retire from Boeing I'll probably come back as a consultant producer plus I have plenty of my own writing projects I want to work on. So I do not see myself ever retiring from "work."

But even with all that we'd still have more time to work on the boat (and we enjoy working on the boat, which helps). Right now we don't dare tackle big projects like putting in a new headliner in the main cabin and so on because we know these kinds of project would have to be done in fits and starts and we don't' want to tear the boat up for the length of time that would be required. Right now we keep the boat ready to go whenever we are.

Mark (and Eric)--- We only have one house and it's pretty small although we've added on to it over the years. I'm not into houses--- as long as the roof doesn't leak and the heat works in the winter I'm happy. My wife is a semi-professional cook and baker so we finally replaced the electric range the house was built with and got her a proper dual fuel range along with a really nice refrigerator last month. But outside of the occasional thing like this, the house has to pretty much look after itself.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #82
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, you've all nominated the same three deserving souls that I would have....Mark, Marin and Eric. Is there enough for 4 members at the dinner table?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #83
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Mark (and Eric)--- We only have one house and it's pretty small although we've added on to it over the years. I'm not into houses---
Same here. Have a small condo (how otherwise for me to afford a boat). The Coot is much more suitable for entertaining friends.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #84
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Well, you've all nominated the same three deserving souls that I would have....Mark, Marin and Eric. Is there enough for 4 members at the dinner table?
You only need enough space at the table for two or three. I withdraw the nomination of my name for the reasons I've stated earlier.

People like Eric, Mark, Tom (Sundowner) and so on are the ones you want. As someone pointed out earlier, quantity does not equal quality. I don't even like the title "Guru" under my name although I know it is only assigned on the basis of the number of posts to the forum. I would much prefer a term like "Veteran" or something which implies a long time, not "Guru" which implies you know something.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #85
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Mark, Marin and Eric, all great choices
http://graceyachting.com/
Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #86
Master and Commander

Quote:
I don't even like the title "Guru" under my name although I know it is only assigned on the basis of the number of posts to the forum. I would much prefer a term like "Veteran" or something which implies a long time, not "Guru" which implies you know something.
Just ask a moderator to change your title. My "master and commander" (a rank lower than "captain") title was self-appointed.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Just ask a moderator to change your title. My "master and commander" (a rank lower than "captain") title was self-appointed.
It's not exactly on my list of things that are important. The moderators and owner can do with the forum what they want. I'm just saying I think the term Guru is misleading. It's not in the case of someone in the case of Rick B, for example, but it certainly is for me.

I much prefer the way they to it on the GB owners forum which is to list the member's date of joining, their total number of posts (which I think is irrelevant), and an acknowledgement if they are a supporting (donating) member. That's it.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Same for me, but hey, what's in a name..?
Well folks...it looks like it's time for us to retire, and consider the vote. If Marin wants off the list, maybe we should respect that desire...?
Perhaps while we are pondering, we should all partake of some of this...just to hone our minds, so to speak....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	15569  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #89
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
You only need enough space at the table for two or three. I withdraw the nomination of my name for the reasons I've stated earlier.
Nevertheless, it is the "Hall of Fame". As has been pointed out from time to time, one doesn't have to agree with another to value another. You're right about others contributions and that they could be even greater over a shorter period of time. I'd like to vote for them too, but it seems like the fame should go with the Hall of Fame. You're famous.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #90
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
.....but it seems like the fame should go with the Hall of Fame. You're famous.
For all the wrong reasons. Sorry, Im not in the running for this thing FWIW.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #91
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Same for me, but hey, what's in a name..?
Well folks...it looks like it's time for us to retire, and consider the vote. If Marin wants off the list, maybe we should respect that desire...?
Perhaps while we are pondering, we should all partake of some of this...just to hone our minds, so to speak....
Yuck. How 'bout something else.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #92
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin I think you and Tom should both be on the list. Tom is one of the most knowledgable and experienced trawler skippers I know and he's our guy. Same w Marin. Marin is opinionated (like me) and he presents his stuff frequently w/o flowers. Fine. He is the most involved person here. He honors us w more of his mental energy than anyone else. I don't care if he wants it or not. He also says he thinks his boat is ugly. Sometimes Marin should not be taken at face value ... like now. Besides his acceptance isn't necessary.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #93
Master and Commander

Quote:
Eric--- We never postpone a cruise because we need or want to varnish or whatever. ...
My berth neighbor, as far as I can tell, has only taken his boat out once in the last year.

Saw him today. Asked when he'd take his boat out. He said "this summer." His wife is wheelchair-bound, and he said he's thinking about installing a crane/hoist to get her aboard.

His boat is to the left of the fuel-unbalanced Coot.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #94
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
He is the most involved person here..
I'm not involved Eric. I post a lot because I'm a REALLY fast typist and writer and I have a ton of short periods of inactivity when I'm editing while I'm waiting for an effect to render. Like right now. For me, the forum is entertainment and writing practice to fill little gaps in my day, nothing more.

I like our boat, I'm not interested in other boats or even boating in general. I'm interested in historical boats because they're historical and because of what people did with them. I don't care about marine diesels other than the two in our boat. I don't care about hull forms because I have no interest in them whatsoever. As long as our boat floats and goes in the direction we point it, and gets there, I'm satisfied. I hate the fact that it's so pathetically slow but I'm so far not interested enough in going any faster to pay money to do it, at least not with a cruising boat.

I work on our boat because it's fun and relaxing. I have no interest in working anyone else's boat or helping them work on it. Just as I have no interest in helping people move house.

So you see, Eric, I participate in TrawlerForum for the same reason I watch Family Guy when I get home after work. It's entertaining and it's funny. Outside of that, I have no real use for it. In all the years I've been on the forum I have seen just ONE thing that I have actually found useful in real life, and that was Keith's recommendation to use GoJo to clean groundpower cables and fenders.

TrawlerForum in my life has a completely different purpose than the Grand Banks owners forum. This is entertainment. The GB forum is a resource.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #95
Master and Commander

Quote:

So you see, Eric, I participate in TrawlerForum for the same reason I watch Family Guy when I get home after work. It's entertaining and it's funny. Outside of that, I have no real use for it. In all the years I've been on the forum I have seen just ONE thing that I have actually found useful in real life, and that was Keith's recommendation to use GoJo to clean groundpower cables and fenders.
Marin, while we have much in common, this forum has introduced new friends besides providing advice incorporated in the Coot's detailing, and more.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #96
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Marin, while we have much in common, this forum has introduced new friends besides providing advice incorporated in the Coot's detailing, and more.
Everyone will get different things from a venue like this. Perhaps it's of real value to people interested in getting into this kind of boating, I don't know. I got into flying without the internet and my wife and I got into boating without the internet. If the internet blew up tomorrow it would not make any difference to our boating or our flying.

So based on our own experience, I see little value in the internet with regards to our boating because we know how to find all the information we might need to operate, service, maintain, and fix our two boats without it. The GB forum has been quite valuable, I admit, but everything I've learned from it I could have learned in other ways. Maybe not as quickly in some cases.

We're not social boaters so the friends thing is irrelevant to us. The handful of boaters we do boat with we have met in the marina or via the little boating club we joined. On a few occasions someone has come up to the boat when I've been on board and asked if this was the La Pérouse they had heard of on the forum and if I was Marin. I tell them no but there's another GB36 in the east basin with the same name so check there and that's the end of it.

So, different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #97
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Here Are the Nominees!

It's only been a few days and some interesting names have surfaced. I must point out that several have declined to put their name up for consideration but my vast experience in conducting HoF proceedings says, it 's not up to them! As of this writing, there have been 96 posts submitted, nominating 6 members. Some posts were so vague that I couldn't ascertain as to whether a nomination had been, indeed, submitted.

The nominees are:
Marin
Mark
Eric
Baker
Sunchaser
phil/Fill

Now, we must decide if the vote is going to be open or secret. I prefer secret but I need help from someone who knows how to achieve this! It is also my hope that those members who have not posted on this subject, suck it up and vote!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #98
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'll be happy to help you formulate a new poll thread, SeaHorse II.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #99
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'll be happy to help you formulate a new poll thread, SeaHorse II.
Thanks, AL! You're on! (Whew!)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
several have declined to put their name up for consideration but my vast experience in conducting HoF proceedings says, it 's not up to them!
Unless the decliner(s) are being coy, really it is up to them. If someone truly does not want the position,and gets elected over protestations, they will still decline, and you are back where you started or have a mess on your hands.
Which is not to say the decliner(s) are not good candidates, they surely are!

Closed Thread