Old 09-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
There is a 1988 model 13 ft with an older 2s 40 hp yamaha and trailer for sale not far from me . How heavy do you think this would be ? I was thinking this would make a great dinghy but I would eventually like to be able to haul it on top. I have the space on top .Probably would have to beef the top up some and add a heck of a crane .Maybe go with 20 hp to help with the weight .
hmason,Do you tow yours only or to you store it ?
Think 320 lb before engine and console, steering, then add gas. Davit capacity my guesstimate 600lb.

An 11 would likely be a better choice for your 32... 200 lb with a tiller steered 15 or 20hp might be the ticket. I am gonna sell my inflatable and go with an old whaler too.
Google Boston whaler specifications for a rundown.

Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
There is a 1988 model 13 ft with an older 2s 40 hp yamaha and trailer for sale not far from me . How heavy do you think this would be ? I was thinking this would make a great dinghy but I would eventually like to be able to haul it on top. I have the space on top .Probably would have to beef the top up some and add a heck of a crane .Maybe go with 20 hp to help with the weight .
hmason,Do you tow yours only or to you store it ?
We have a 1967 13' Classic with a 30hp Nissan 4 stroke. It's our pickup truck, and we love it!

The weight estimates are pretty much spot on- about 350 lbs for the boat, 180lbs for the engine, and 100lbs for 14 gal of fuel and tank. We have a 1K davit, and it lifts the boat just fine.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Mule,Thanks for the info .I think 11 would be better . This one was just kind close to home .
Will you just tow yours or will you store it with davits ? The 13 I'm looking at only has tiller steerinig.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
A past Alaska female friend of mine ran her 13' BW from Petersburg to Tenakee Springs at the northern end of Chatham Strait. About 100 miles. Did this several times as she had property in both places. Used a 25hp 2 stroke OB and may have stopped at Kake or Angoon. I've seen bumper stickers say'in "Alaskan girls kick ass" ... and some do.

Most Alaskans do this sort of traveling in SE in aluminum skiffs. And a lot do. Sold my aluminum skiff over a month ago.

I've Never set foot in a Whaler and don't know what all the fuss is about.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Pack Mule,
Our Whaler is 11'2" and with the 4 stroke 20 hp Mercury engine weighs in at 659#. Our crane is rated for 800# and we store it on the top. We did not need to reinforce the top. I should point out that we needed to install a new motor and wiring for the crane as the old wiring was too light and burnt out the old motor. Additionally we purchased chocks specifically made for the Whaler. Be advised that the older Whalers weigh significantly less than the newer ones so you will want to contact Whaler for the weight of the one you would like to buy.

Our Whaler is brand new, cost less than a new RIB such as a 12' AB etc. And, it is interesting to note that a 12' RIB does not weigh much less, if at all, than the Whaler. The Whaler is a heck of a boat.

Best, Howard

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote