Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Help with purchasing older Grand Banks

There is a GB36 in Bellingham, a very early fiberglass one like ours because it has the same second-generation engine air intakes on the side of the bulwarks as our boat. The first generation intakes are the flush ones on the woodies, the second generation intakes are the big finned plastic or fiberglass ones that are screwed to the outside of the bulwarks. So this boat will be a '73 or perhaps a '74--- they didn't use these intakes very long.

It is in a boathouse out at the end of the Gate 3 dock, just before the G-East dock. The boathouse rows are locked so I have never had an opporunity to get in and look at this boat other than seeing the front end of it from the main dock. I have no idea of the boat's name. It is covered with dust and I have never seen it out of the boathouse or gone. Nor have we ever seen anyone in the boathouse working on it. We have been on our dock for about ten years now and I'm pretty sure this GB has been in that boathouse stall the whole time.

I have no idea if it's a single or twin, or what condition it's actually in. Other then the dust and dirt and resulting dull finish, I do not see any obvious damage or missing pieces. The boat floats level.

There is no for sale sign on it. I have no idea who owns it so have no idea if they would be interested in selling it. But it might be worth going up there to find out the number of the boathouse it's in--- I don't know it offhand--- and then talk to the Port to see if they will tell you the name of the owner and how to get hold of him. They probably won't give you that information but they may be willing to contact the owner for you and give him/her your contact information if they are interested in selling it.

If it's in decent condition albeit totally ignored it's unlikely that a selling price will be as low as your budget. This vintage of fiberglass GB36 in decent to good condition tends to go from between $75k and $115k or so in this area.

But you don't know if you don't ask. You would need to have an extremely thorough inspection and survey if the owner was interested in selling as a boat that has sat this long with no obvious use will have a lot of potential problems with the systems, from the engine raw water pumps to the fresh water pumps and toilets. But at least it's been out of the weather all this time.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
BoatDog wrote:

As far as Bayliner goes- NO WAY (I really mean no way in hell). I don't know much about Tollycraft, but I could look into them. CHB and Marine Trader would be at the top of my list. I like the older boats with the beautiful teak interiors and parque floors. I don't like the cheap crap like I've seen in some other brands as well as some newer boats.

-- Edited by BoatDog on Wednesday 13th of October 2010 10:34:45 PM
Why discount the bayliners? *Certainly their smaller boats are something I wouldn't want to own but their larger motoryachts have a strong reputation as solid boats. *The 3888 sedan is a great mid-sized sedan and with the hino diesel set up it is very fuel efficient and has a great layout and nice lines. *Their 4588 and 4788 pilothouses have an almost cult-like following and are extremely, extremely popular and very good boats...probably the most boat for the money that can be bought.In your price point though I wouldn't rule out the 3888 bayliner with diesels. *

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

Saw this on the GB owners forum tonight--- this is the post:

"36 grand banks in craigs list san diego I believe at Kohler Craft is listed as free no motors, title must take the whole boat."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:"Their 4588 and 4788 pilothouses have an almost cult-like following and are extremely, extremely popular and very good boats...probably the most boat for the money that can be bought."
Couldn't agree more! My buddy has a 4588 and it's a damn nice cruising boat.
A broker friend of mine says they sell like crazy.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #25
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

1965 to 2010, 45 years. That is an exceptional lifetime for a wooden boat. "tree fort for your kids" and its life will be extended with that kind of retirement.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #26
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Woodsong wrote:"Their 4588 and 4788 pilothouses have an almost cult-like following and are extremely, extremely popular and very good boats...probably the most boat for the money that can be bought."
Couldn't agree more! My buddy has a 4588 and it's a damn nice cruising boat.
A broker friend of mine says they sell like crazy.

They absolutely DO sell like crazy and hold their prices well.* I'm a broker too so I see the sold boats....for every one of the other classics....say a 53 hatteras, or a grand banks, there will be about 10 of the bayliner pilothouses sold.* I've spent a ton of time on the 45 and the 47- only thing i could say about them is that their engine room access is terrible!* The 45's with their 220hp hinos get remarkable fuel economy- rivalling any trawler out there almost, yet they can get up and go.* The 47's don't get as good as fuel economy due to their larger hp engines, but both have a phenominal layout, good handling, and I at least really like their exterior lines.*
Ok.* Can you tell I really like the bayliner pilothouses?**
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #27
FF
Guru

Ok. Can you tell I really like the bayliner pilothouses?

And some folks wonder when I ask a wannabee , WHY a TRAWLER?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Yes, I just checked them out for the first time - they seem to tick most of the boxes all right.* I can see why they are popular.* Look well finished and kitted out and very practical lay-out.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #29
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Bigger Bayliners are the marine Kia/Hyundai. They have a dedicated following.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Help with purchasing older Grand Banks

Grand Yachts has a 74 36' GB w twin screw repower John Deeres

http://www.grandyachts.com

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 10:02:09 AM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #31

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Grand Yachts has a 74 36' GB w twin screw repower John Deeres

http://www.grandyachts.com

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 10:02:09 AM
The one for $139k? I don't think I'd spend that on a boat until I retire in twenty years or so, if then. I think that's way too much for that old of a boat, too. I'd want something a bit newer for that amount of cabbage.

I'm actually not really seeing anything of interest right now, and I'm going to look into other brands. I just don't see the value in a lot of these prices. Foreclosures continue to escalate in the area, and I think that next year will bring better deals on boats, especially since I have ZERO faith in this economy and consider a double dip recession almost a foregone conclusion.

BoatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #32
FF
Guru

"and I think that next year will bring better deals on boats, especially since I have ZERO faith in this economy " and consider a double dip recession almost a foregone conclusion.

This is DEFLATION , what has hammered the Japan market for almost 20 years.

They have almost paved Japan over with "publik works" , yet the consumers continue to resist creating debt.

QE in this country (AKA Printing Money) does not work ,

but its all these uneducated ivory tower folks have , "Borrow& Spend ourselves Rich!"

Failure Assured.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote